Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekitty

Duftendes Weisskirchen and Larry Daniels bloom

aimeekitty
12 years ago

Goodmorning! I got a few more blooms this morning! Just some quick iphone photos.

I'm slowly working through some maintenance... got the front yard fertilized, and working my way to the back now. Hope everyone is doing well!

Duftendes Weisskirchen

{{gwi:238313}}

Larry Daniels

{{gwi:238314}}

Some other nonrose blooms on my blog. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Aimee's Roses

Comments (18)

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Boy, that's a dark, DARK Larry Daniels.
    Looks like that'n has sported back to Grandmother's Hat. And many GH blooms are lighter than that one.

Jeri

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jerry, I'd say it's a La France cl color right now. I know previously on this bush I've gotten much paler blooms, but it seemed like it bloomed pretty pink (ie deep) in the spring and then bleaches out some in the summer?

Not sure about whether it's reverting or not. I suppose I don't care though as it's very healthy and I love Grandmother's Hat, too. Though this plant looks different in vigor and style than my Grandmother's Hat... Hmm.

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Our Larry Daniels is long-gone.

It was a pitiful plant, badly affected with diseases I won't mention for fear of waking malevolent spirits that affect this place. We removed it a few years ago, having given it close on 10 years to prove itself.

We do still grow the less-common 'Tina Marie,' which is blush here but white in warmer weather. (It's white in Sacramento, for sure.)

But "Grandmother's Hat" is herself a most protean rose. We grow at least 3 versions of it, and there are color differences from one to the other.

Our favorite is our first one, which came years ago from Limberlost, and is subtly striped, streaked, and stippled, light-and-medium-pink.

Jeri
    (Who grows more Grandmother's Hat than any sensible person would.)

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

as long as it's pretty and happy, I don't care. :) :)

• jerijen
    12 years ago

You know, I'm with you.

Your rose.
    Your garden.

Jeri

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    12 years ago

Jeri, do you know which of the 3+ you have are carried by which nurseries/vendors?

I have one coming next week from Vintage and wonder where their's came from. I would have asked but we were playing phone tag today (I'm trying to add *more* roses to my order).

Last year I bid on a GH at the auction at the Stagecoach Inn. I didn't get it, the other bidder was quite determined, and I thought I could buy another elsewhere.... I think, but I'm not sure, the plant in the sale was from Burling. Then there is a lovely GH in the Stagecoach Inn's garden. I'd like to know which one that is (if you've told me already I've forgotten!) because I want to make sure I get that clone.

Also last year someone on GW posted about Annie's Annuals having Grandmother's Hat. Unfortunately I didn't see the post immediately. I called and ordered one, and I thought I got one, but they called back to say I'd just missed out. So I placed GH on my wish list at Annie's Annuals. If this is a different clone than Vintages then I want to leave it on my wish list.

On HMF there is mention of the plant collected at Mare Island Naval Station and known as Northside Pink. Really pretty. Is this one in commerce anywhere?

The pics of Grandmother's Hat in the San Jose Heritage taken by Masha look more silvery-toned than some of the others. Is this just GH being a chameleon due to differences in garden conditions, or not the same clone (as I don't know which of the others!)?

Melissa

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My Grandmother's Hat is from Long Ago Roses, it was the only place I could find it for a while! It was a super tiny band, but now it's a reasonable 3 gallon size I suppose. It hasn't bloomed a lot though, I'm going to try to get it into the ground before spring leaves us.

My Larry Daniels was a gallon from Vintage, so it came already as a nice sized healthy plant. :) It's in the ground for about a season now and seems really happy.

I'd love to compare them once they're both kinda settled and happy...! I'd love to see Jeri's, too. XD

I do think it's interesting that she seems to vary a lot...? like Melissa said, is this due to climate and garden situation, or lots of different Grandmothers? ;)
    I mean obviously, Jeri has a couple different ones because they're all different in her same garden! D:

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Our first GH came from Limberlost Roses, when it was still in business in the San Fernando Valley. We have a half-dozen others, from that one. I've never seen another quite like ours, and Bob's never said where it came from.
    I believe it did NOT come from a former rose vendor in San Jose, as his GHs never had the curious faint striping that ours has.

We have 3 GH plants which came from Sequoia Nursery (Also no longer in business, alas.) They are all solid mid-pink, and may have come from the Vendor in San Jose, but I don't know that for sure. They are planted as a hedge, and are very floriferous.

We have "NorthSide Pink," which came from the Great Mare Island Rose Rustle. It was found behind a Victorian home in the old Married Officers Quarters. It is, indeed, darker than either of our two other types. It is not in commerce, and we probably have the only plant. (Probably I should ask Clay to propagate it, later in the year.)

We have two big plants of 'Tina Marie,' a registered sport of "Grandmother's Hat" from Vintage. IIRC, Vintage no longer has Tina Marie.
    Tina Marie is NOT identical to 'Larry Daniels.' It is a paler, more luminescent pink than that rose, and in hot weather it is as it was registered, WHITE. It blooms White in the Sacramento City Cemetery, where DH donated a plant.

DH should propagate this one, too, as it is not in commerce, and there are few plants around.

I should add that DH finds Grandmother's Hat to be one of the harder cultivars to root, and Tina Marie a bit harder than GH herself.

I should also add that several roses from DH's most recent "crop" have been donated to the Ventura County Rose Society, which will sell/raffle them. They include one very well-grown GH, along with some recently-rustled, and rather exciting things from NoCal cemeteries.

Watch the Ventura County Rose Society's website for more information.

Jeri

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jeri, is the difficulty to root why you seldom see GH offered? Because it seems like a great rose that a lot of people in CA want to grow.

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Aimee, I think that's exactly why it's not offered as often as it seems it should be. Not economically feasible?

It seems that it wants to grow and bloom more than it wants to set roots. But it CAN be propagated, and my husband has shared a good many of it.

BTW -- Here is what 'Tina Marie' looks like here, where it's a bit cooler overall. (In Sacramento, it really is white.)

{{gwi:238317}}

And here are some different "looks" at "Grandmother's Hat" herself:
    {{gwi:221812}}

{{gwi:238319}}
    {{gwi:238321}}

Jeri

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

charming, thanks Jeri! :)

• luxrosa
    12 years ago

What a coincidence; I was just asking the nursery staff at the nursery site about their clones of 'Grandmothers Hat' last week, where they got them and when they would have more plants in stock.
    -they "should have more plants this summer"

-"Barbara Wohl gave us cuttings".

I've seen numerous clones of 'Grandmothers Hat' and wished I had done a petal count from a few of those because the plants in the display garden at Annies Annuals, which were also grown from the cuttings from Wohl,
    appear to have more petals.
    I counted 52 petals, on a bloom at Annies, and though I saw more petals within I couldn't separate them to count them without breaking the blossom.
    I have petal counts from other clones, somewhere in my field notebooks and if I remember right they had fewer petals.

Luxrosa

• jerijen
    12 years ago

I've never seen the exact clone Barbara Worl grows, but I do think there are countless versions of this beauty.

Jeri

• sabalmatt_tejas
    12 years ago

Great pictures Aimee. I'm growing Duftendes Weisskirchen and I LOVE the fragrance- one of the most fragrant to my nose. A question about Grandmother's Hat- does anyone know how it would grow in my part of TX (Dallas)? I like what I've read about it.
    thanks

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Melissa The Gramhat at the Stagecoach in came from our garden -- a clone of our Limberlost plant. Annie's Annuals, I gather, got theirs from Barbara Worl -- so it is from a plant she collected.

Jeri

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I really have no idea what my GH will do! It's only bloomed a couple times since I got it really small. I also don't know what "version" it is. :) I'm hoping if I get it in the ground this spring, it might take off in a larger (in the ground) spot this year.

as to TX, if it does well in SoCal, arent the chances good it would do well in TX?

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    12 years ago

Thank you Jeri! The Stagecoach Inn one is beautiful. It's flowers looked different to me each time I've seen it. Do you know where Limberlost got their plant? Could it be the clone collected by Fred Boutin on Altadena Drive?????

My band size plant of GH arrived yesterday from Vintage. Sent an email this morning asking the origin of their Grandmother's Hat and received a reply this afternoon that they got her from Barbara Worl's mother plant. So if Annie's Annuals also has that clone, I need to find the other two.;)

Any idea of what Burling has? If no one knows, I can send her an email and inquire.

Melissa

• jerijen
    12 years ago

NO ONE knows where Bob Edberg (Limberlost) got his clone. Bob said he got it from his son, and doesn't know where his son got it, and that's ALL that he's saying. I have my suspicions, but I don't really KNOW.

I'm fairly sure Burling has Sequoia's clone. I have a photo of that hedge. Let me see if I can find it. I can send it to you direct, so everyone doesn't have to look at it.

Matt -- It can blackspot in conditions where that is a problem. If you lived in El Paso, now, or maybe Odessa, or Fort Stockton . . . :-)

Jeri