Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbarag_happy

Teas I Can't Live Without? Please Tell Me

barbarag_happy
16 years ago

I wasn't able to get McClinton Tea, Henriette de Snoy, Mme. Antoine Mari, or Tipsy Imperial Concubine this year and-- of course-- I'm already running out of room. So tell me, are these must-haves? I decided I can live without Bon Silene, General Schabilkine, and Safrano/Isabella Sprunt.. or can I? "All I wnat" is a vigorous, reasonably healthy bush-- doesn't have to repeat heavily-- but I want the blooms that make you go OOOOH!

Comments (36)

• gnabonnand
    16 years ago

To me, the most beautiful tea roses at the Fort Worth Botanical Garden are (not just the blooms but the entire plant):

Duchesse de Brabant (uncomparable scent)
    Madame Antoine Marie (perfection of plant form)

I also love Mrs Dudley Cross because of her unfailing health here, her heirloom pass-a-long quality due to easy rooting of cuttings, and her thornlessness.

Randy

• barbarag_happy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carol, I just KNEW someone would come up with another rose-- my list is getting longer not shorter (what did I expect LOL). Randy, you said the magic words about Mme. Antoine Marie as I love a rose that's also a good garden plant. I agree with you about the Duchesse and Mrs. Dudley Cross, I would not be wihout them in fact hard to settle for one of each!

• jerome
    16 years ago

Mme. Antoine Mari is an incredible rose.

• berndoodle
    16 years ago

Carol's Wm R. Smith looks like the rose ARE was selling as Maman Cochet. It has a nice, almost solid light pink bloom here.

• barbarag_happy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carol, where'd you get your Wm. R. Smith? I WANT I WANT!

• carolfm
    16 years ago

Barbara, mine came from Ashdown.

Carol

• gnabonnand
    16 years ago

Cass, I'm thinking my 'Maman Cochet' that came from ARE was a little deeper pink than the above pics. However, I agree that the bloom form looks very similar to Carol's WRS. What a beauty!

Randy

• debnfla8b
    16 years ago

Oh my....I just realized the rose I have been racking my brain about is Mme. Antoine Mari!!!! The tag is lost...bad die back but coming back gang busters with new growth! I was hoping it was my Clementine but no....it's Mme. Antoine!

Deb :o))

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Carol, thank you. Your pictures made me happy because I have this rose although mine is still a baby. This rose is a perfect beauty.

My only concern is that we probably planted in the wrong bed "color-wise" - I assumed it is going to be yellow or apricot. If I tell that to DH and at the same time I ask him to dig it up and replant it somewhere else, I will be killed and will never get the chance to see WRS as a mature bush.

• carolfm
    16 years ago

Marie, you are welcome. It does have a hint of yellow, apricot at times but it is predominately a blush/pink rose in my garden.

{{gwi:238518}}

Carol

• ronda_in_carolina
    16 years ago

OOhhh Carol.....That is beautiful. I am really in need of a few more acres.

• melissa_thefarm
    16 years ago

General Schablikine doesn't have the enormous full flowers like the ones in the photos above, but lovely loose sunset color blooms, and the plant is vigorous, healthy, and very tough: mine is fine in a decidedly unfriendly spot. It's easy to root. It's a beautiful rose and plant. Clementina Carbonieri is another sunset-colored beauty, also thoroughly robust and healthy. Usually its flowers are semi-double or thereabouts, but one year I had perfect spring weather, and CC covered itself with very full double blossoms that looked like a fluorescent version of a David Austin variety. My rose which I think is 'Bermuda's Anna Olivier' (I bought it as Anna Olivier, which it is not) has stupendous flowers, and guess what? the plant is tough and healthy! Like everyone else, I love Mme. Antoine Mari. Another favorite is Archiduc Joseph, which may or may not be the U.S.'s 'Monsieur Tillier', a most vigorous, healthy, floriferous rose that gets big in a hurry. I have all these roses growing in conditions that would kill the average Hybrid Tea, and they're doing fine.

There now. Did that help?

Melissa

• barbarag_happy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Melissa, there you go -- adding two more to my already too-long list. Well, the house next door is for sale & I need the land, maybe I should just buy it huh? (Then I can take out that row of crapemyrtles that is so close to the property line).
    Seriously roses with fewer petals open so much better here, and I do want to broaden the range of hues. Sunset colors sounds so nice! Thank you--

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Carol, it is salvia the you show with WRS on the last photo? Can you tell me the name and can you tell me if it is invasive or not?

• rosyone
    16 years ago

Need more? Here's another one for your consideration.

Madame Berkeley
    {{gwi:238519}}

• melissa_thefarm
    16 years ago

And I second Mme. Berkeley, which does indeed have a jaw-dropping flower (on a healthy sturdy plant, naturally). The problem is, there are just too many wonderful Teas. Barbara, I think you need to acquire some more real estate, or else, as another forumer suggested, become active in a rose group that maintains a public garden of old roses, and get your fix that way. Good luck.

Melissa

• barbarag_happy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Melissa, how ironic you would mention a public garden. As it happens I work at an arboretum that has a 1730 farmhouse as its headquarters and I have been replanting their antique rose garden. I also maintain their modern rose garden, which has some Buck shrubs, DA's and some H&P HT's-- a mishmash, but colorful! So I have not one but THREE gardens in my life. They don't pay me much at the arboretum but wild horses couldn't drag me away...

• barbarag_happy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh! Melissa forgot to tell you--- we just asked RU if we could add Mme. Berkeley to our order but they didn't propagate it this year. Will have to put her on the wish list for next year. She's gorgeous! oh my

• carla17
    16 years ago

I always wanted Mdme. Berkeley and Mdme. Lombard.
    I love my BHdS and Georgetown Tea. I cannot say enough good things about Clementina. One of mine is huge now and I can see it from the kitchen window. Gorgeous.

Carla

• morrisnoor
    16 years ago

Gènéral Schablikine...Gènéral Schablikine...Gènéral Schablikine...Gènéral Schablikine...Gènéral Schablikine...Gènéral Schablikine...Gènéral Schablikine...Gènéral Schablikine...

....WHY??
    {{gwi:238521}}

And Mme Antoine Mari... words cannot describe such an exquisite creature... wonderful!!
    {{gwi:238522}}

;o)
    Maurizio

• carolfm
    16 years ago

Maurizio, do you grow General Gallieni? The reason I ask is that I ordered GG because I was told by a nursery owner that GG and General Schablikine were very similar other than size. Do you find this to be true? I've never seen GS in person.

Carol

• carla17
    16 years ago

Maurizio, thank you for the image of Mdme. Antione Mari. For some reason I don't see alot of this one. I like the color on yours, just beautiful. How large is yours?
    Sorry Barbara, don't mean to jack your post.

Carla

• morrisnoor
    16 years ago

Carol,
    unfortunately I have to say to you that I completely dislike (hate??) Général Gallieni. In my climate, "Hi" never open well, flowers seems to have a sort of "lack of substance" and are very often badly shaped, with always burned-like petals. The colour is harsh, too... To my eyes, GG is kind of ugly... Has been quickly shovel pruned many years ago, maybe the only Rose I've ever SP in my garden!!

GS is a very different Rose, with large, cupped flowers in shades of pale cerise pink with coppery and magenta-red hints. Strong fruity-tea fragrance. It's also a very large bush. A must to have indeed.

Carla,
    My Mme A. Mari it's on her second year now, 3' high and 4' large, a little sparse at first, now is starting to become denser and fuller...and bigger :o)). I love the gently arching, nodding growth (she's on a raised bed, covering the bare feet of Mme Alfred Carrière -climbing up on the pergola above- with Salvia canariensis 'Candidissima', Stachys lanata, 'Moonlite Masquerade' Daylily and Erigeron karwinskianus)and the beauty of her flowers (who are also very scented).

Here's in a little "bouquet" for a friend's birthday :o), in mid november, showing two opening buds...
    {{gwi:238524}}

Ciao!
    Maurizio

• barbarag_happy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Maurizio, che bella! Thanks for sharing your pics. I love roses that have the graceful bushy habit of General S. Mme. Antoine Mari is firmly on my list-- in fact, I may even order it for fall shipment. My first bunch of roses came that way and all did well.

• carolfm
    16 years ago

Ah Maurizio, I'm sorry GG doesn't open his blooms in your climate. He does have a muddled bloom form but I kind of like it. He performs very well here! I love your General S. and I wish I had room to grow it. The colors are amazing and it makes a beautiful bush. I have MAM coming this spring and after seeing your lovely photo's, I am very happy I ordered her. I hope she likes my climate as much as she obviously likes yours.

Carol

• gnabonnand
    16 years ago

Maurizio, you are killing me with those photo's of your Madame Antoine Marie! The color on MAM is uncommonly beautiful.

Randy

• sherryocala
    16 years ago

Might I recommend Jean Bach Sisley. He's only been in the ground since mid-December but is doing beautifully, taking off with no hesitation. And I'm in love with his flowers. Personally he is performing much better that Duchesse de Brabant. I'm so pleased with him.
    {{gwi:238527}}

{{gwi:238528}}

Sherry

• luxrosa
    16 years ago

I adore these Tea roses;
    "White Maman Cochet" bush form as it blooms more often than the climber
    "Mme. Berkeley" even in our mildew-belt it thrives in our organic garden, and is thrice gorgeous.
    and the Tea X R. gigantica "Susan Louise" which can be grown in the shape of an apple tree due to its' R. gigantica genes, that is- with one thick trunk- like basal cane and a canopy above.
    I just moved and I lament that I canot take all my Tea roses with me.

Luxrosa

• barbarag_happy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think I'd adore any of the Cochets but am concerned that their blooms would not open here-- have somewhat the same concern with Mme. Berkeley. I really get frustrated by roses that ball-- I've even passed up SDLM! I'll check out Susan Louise which sounds intriguing, and I like gigantica hybrids generally. Oh Luxrosa, I've moved away from roses many times & while it expands your knowledge (cuz you get a do-over) it is heart-breaking!

• duchesse_nalabama
    16 years ago

Sherryocala, that is a beautiful picture. I hadn't seen that one before. Thanks!

You all are making me anxious for spring bloom. Thanks for all the pictures. I'm going to talk to dh about removing the garage so I can plant a General S. That is beautiful!

• olga_6b
    16 years ago

Barbara, Mme Berkely blooms NEVER ball for me. Cochet family is another story. The always ball her, almost 100% blooms :(
    Olga

• maggiepie_gw
    16 years ago

Lady Hillingdon is the first tea rose I would purchase if I could grow it here.
    It is a fuss free rose that blooms almost non stop and has the most delicious perfume and even the leaves are very attractive.
    Now I have talked myself into finding one to try in a pot.

• barbarag_happy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Olga, thanks for the feedback on Mme. Berkeley. I have space left for two teas. They all seem like their colors would blend, so maybe I'll just plant the two smallest. I'm amazed at how big roses get here. Winters don't seem as long or cold as Dallas tho most roses get a dormant period. (We're right near the borderline for 7.) Sherry what lovely pictures-- Jean Bach Sisley is divine but I hear tell she can be a BIG girl!

• gartenjockel
    15 years ago

dear barabar,
    it's late but not too late of answering, i hope..
    for semi-double flowers, you should risk a look upon 'comtesse de caserta' which i love a lot - though i am not the fancier of less than double blooms...
    lady hillingdon and lady plymouth should do well in your conditions, too.
    also madame lombard is striking in my damp aestival climate.

• sunnishine
    15 years ago

hey barbara! I have BR cant and Duchess de Brabant and I have ordered a few more teas this year

from vintage William R Smith, souv. de pierre notting

from RU rainbow
    here is a link to a previous thread with great pics!

Here is a link that might be useful: I'm in love with Teas!