Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nikthegreek_gw

Standalone Aloha

nikthegreek
10 years ago

Posed this question in the roses forum, thought I should also ask here. Aloha is not an OGR nor is it an Austin but it isn't a more recent HT either and DA has reportedly used it in his breeding program.

Can Aloha (the New Dawn offspring) be pruned to grow as a self supporting large shrub or will it end up being either too messy or too much pruned for its own sake and really needs climbing support? I understand it is quite thick caned so it should eventually be able to stand by itself but will the pruning required to do that affect its floriferousness? Does anybody have any experience in growing it free standing? I'm in a Med climate so roses do tend to become fairly large.
Nik

Comments (9)

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

I've grown mine freestanding for years. I'm sure you can do it successfully.

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks mendocino, that's good to know. I received it the other day and I think I have just the spot for it.
    Nik

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks mendocino, that's good to know. I received it the other day and I think I have just the spot for it.
    Nik

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Triple posting sorry. I must be doing something very wrong.
    Nik

This post was edited by nikthegreek on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 2:11

• vasue VA
    10 years ago

Mine grows freestanding as well for some 5-6 years now. Not as full as the one in the link, but getting there. I've never needed to prune it besides deadheading, and if I'm tardy with the deadheading, the blooms keep coming anyway. Love this rose - bet you will, too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Self supporting Aloha

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks vasue. I was wondering how wide would you think the rose in your HMF link could be. Four-five feet? More? Any guesses?
    Nik

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

Lots of climbers can be grown free standing, sometimes easily and sometimes with great effort. Luanne (LA) who used to post here regularly grows Madame Alfred Carriere freestanding. Astonishing, but I know it is true; I have seen it for myself.

Folly

• vasue VA
    10 years ago

Hard to tell from the photo, Nik, since I can't really find any reference point for scale besides the grass. That looks slightly shaggy, so I'm guessing it's about 2" high. The cane arching off to the right looks about 2.5', which might put the total height at 5' and width equal to that plus. Using a ruler against the photo as it displays on my laptop, the bush measures 2.5"x4". So if I'm guessing the height at 5' & applying the inch proportions, that gives a scale of 1" to 2'. That leaves my best guess at 5' high by 8' wide.

Mine is currently 6.5' high by 5' wide, growing in a natural vase shape, putting on about a foot of length each year so far, with sturdy canes thickened to at least 3/4" across. I've read in several places that Aloha wants to grow as a bush & must be selectively pruned to create a climber, however that might be accomplished. Many of the pictures I've seen look as if the rose is backed by a wall or trellis, rather than actually supported by it. You'll find some comments here about it: http://hortiplex.gardenweb.com/plants/jour/p/76/gw1045576/page.html

Crocus shows what looks like a bush shot behind a fence & gives ultimate dimensions of 3x2.5 meters. I'm metrically challenged, but use 41" to a meter as a rule of thumb, so that would be about 10'3"x8'6". Guess that's their estimate for the UK, and treated as a climber.

Hard to guess, isn't it? And frustrating as a result. But then I remember, with plants it's all guestimate till you find out by growing it in your own garden.

Mine came as a 6" ownroot gallon, grown on in a 3 gallon & planted out one Fall when I realized I was out of larger pots. It landed in a bed of mixed perennials with its sport Dixieland Linda/Lady Ashe 14' to the side. Both are still teenagers & I don't know what size they'll be when they grow up. Like all kids, it's pretty much wait & see...

Here is a link that might be useful: Aloha

• charleney
    9 years ago

I would like to exchange my 5 yr old ND for Aloha. ND blooms alright , But the blooms on Aloha look prettier and the plant form looks so much better than ND.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling