Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tenor_peggy

Blackened Canes

tenor_peggy
10 years ago

Over the past few weeks my Archduke Charles has begun to drop leaves at an alarming rate and then the canes turn black. Some of the damage on new growth looks like chili thrips. Do I have more than one thing going on here? :-(

Comments (9)

• buford
    10 years ago

I'm not sure how cold it got by you, but I just had to cut off almost all the canes on some of my teas. I believe it's from the cold this winter. If you have black canes, cut them down as soon as possible.

• tenor_peggy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We haven't had any real cold weather here so I don't know what to think. Maybe I'll get my hubby to take a photo of what is going on and post it here in a couple of days. It is pouring out there today.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Take a look at drainage. Dig it up. I potted up a rose last fall in a pot without drainage holes. I had such a stench I keep thinking there was a dead elephant in the yard. It was the rose...duh...with black canes..
    Susan

• ny_steve
    10 years ago

Some of my Tea Roses and Archduke Charles had to be cut pretty far back, due to black canes. I think it was due to the extra cold winter here in NY. Several of my favorite and bigger Teas caome through pretty well though, which is impressive for this area.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

If it's not from a frost or freeze then I agree with the drainage issue. Check that and see what you come up with. If it's not that then the only thing else I can come up with is canker maybe. In any case keep taking off any blackened cane. I've found if you don't it just keeps going down the cane.

• saldut
    10 years ago

We have not got the chili-thrips yet, they won't show up until the heat sets in, they don't like this cooler weather...sally

• tenor_peggy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I recall when I planted it into that pot I added drainage holes so I doubt that is the reason. :-( We haven't had any really cold weather. It got down into the upper 40s last week but I can't imagine that would harm the roses. Comtess du Cayla next to it is not showing similar signs. If the chili thrips aren't active yet I don't know what to think.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Make sure your drainage holes aren't plugged up. I just drowned a pot of beautiful double impatience because the drain holes plugged. Stick a straightened coat hanger in one of the holes. If water comes rushing out, that's your problem.

• cath41
    10 years ago

Gently remove the plant from the pot and look at and smell the roots. Do not disturb the roots unless some look rotted and they need trimming. If all is well with the roots, put it back in the pot with as little disturbance as possible and trim the black canes down to good live tissue. If there is no live tissue, the rose is almost certainly dead. I say almost because very unusual things can happen in the realm of growing plants.

Cath