Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ogrose_tx

Red Climbers

ogrose_tx
12 years ago

Tomorrow I'm getting a bid to replace the front section of my 6' chain link fence, as well as about 20' along my driveway with wrought iron fencing and gates. It's not going to be cheap...

My second option would be to cover the chain link with climbers like I have done with the rest of the yard, which would certainly be a whole lot less expensive :)

So - I figured a cl Cramoisi Superieur which is not a problem to buy, but can't find a vendor for cl Louis Phillipe. Any ideas?

One of the roses would be subjected to our broiling west sun, as well as being near my Zepherine Drouhine, which seems to handle the sun without missing a beat. Which handles the west sun better?

Boy this is rambling, but it's Friday!

Comments (25)

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

Bardou Jobis healthy and pretty.

{{gwi:238734}}

Close up

{{gwi:238735}}

Rosefolly

• harborrose_pnw
    12 years ago

hi, Ogrose!

I grew red cascade in Dallas; its only drawback are those sharp tiny thorns as far as I know. But it is vigorous, constant blooming and the tiny blooms themselves are lovely. The heat never seemed to faze it. I grew it up a trellis; I think it could cover a chain link fence, although it is probably best known as a groundcover. Probably worth considering, anyway.

I saw that Angel Gardens sells Cl. LP - maybe she will have it in stock soon; it might be worth emailing her to find out. I love Cramoisi for its wonderful fragrance and many blooms. I have never grown the climbing form of it.

Petals of the Past sells a red climber, a found red mystery rose that I grew in Alabama. I did not have it long there, but it is very fragrant. I think they call it something like 'Ruth Stout's Mystery Red Climber' or something like that. I brought it up here but while the foliage is very nice, the blooms ball. I really think it likes the heat. I would grow that one in a heartbeat if I lived south.

{{gwi:238736}}

My last thought is to use a tea, General Gallieni, if you want a red, and site it close to the fence. It will eventually get large enough to cover up a hunk of the fence. Just a thought. I love GG (not everyone does!) so like to use it.

Good luck with whatever you do, Ogrose. Have fun thinking about what to do.

• rev_roses
    12 years ago

A favorite red climber of mine has been Guinee. It is an early Hybrid Tea and holds up well in Oklahoma's heat.

• ilovemyroses
    12 years ago

i was in a nursery the other day (imagine that!!) and overheard a sales person telling a customer that DON JUAN is the best red climber.

it is all personal opinion, but i disagree. it is good though, and does well here. spreads big. mine doesn't get enough sun, so few blooms, but i have seen it do well in texas.

DUBLIN BAY is a great red climber. a bit slow to establish, but a better bloom than don juan, imho.

ALTISSMO is a beautiful red single petal climber, moderate...ten feet best i'd say.

a favorite of mine is DORTMUND. this is a very thorny red single, but alot of strenth about it. really handsome.

red cascade, as mentioned before is a beauty, i saw it done as a climber as opposed to a low, spreader...and it was stunning. in dallas.

just a few other ideas to ponder!! all of these would do well in dallas. too, i think don juan's roses get a bit messy. they don't drop, and just seem to be messy globs once they are past bloom.

and, blaze improved, while i don't grow it, does well here. and is available locally. pm me if you want to know where, several of these were there.

good luck!! i'd grow roses on it!! always my solution!!!! jill

• buffington22
    12 years ago

I have a new Don Juan so I can't comment but I LOVE cl. Cramoisi Superior! It is healthy and floriferous and a mannerly climber.

• User
    12 years ago

Another vote for cramoisi superiere climbing but would also consider Altissimo on a chainlink - the canes are fairly stiff and it relishes the support behind its back.

• jacqueline9CA
    12 years ago

What about Cl Crimson Glory, an old HT (1925)? It is amazingly fragrant, all of the time. It loves my zone 9 climate. Here are pics:

{{gwi:238737}}

{{gwi:238738}}

Jackie

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, thanks for all your suggestions, some of those roses I hadn't even thought about!

I get my bid on Monday, and will make a decision then; we're spending money like we had it on remodeling and landscaping in our 40 year old house that is definitely showing its age, so if I can save a buck and still have it look good, sounds like a good deal to me!

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I had Dublin Bay and loved it.

• cramoisi
    12 years ago

I would like to mention Climbing ÃÂtoile de Hollande. I hope to use two from my pot ghetto for an arbor this season. The red is really beautiful, a tad darker than the Crimson Glory in the photo and also (according to a frequent poster, Luxrosa,) a tad less fragrant than CG.
    ClEdH also has a beautiful shape and holds up well as a cut flower.
    Another frequent poster, Campanula, has noted that, given time, it will climb great heights.

Such beautiful photos, everyone.

Larry

• erasmus_gw
    12 years ago

My Cl. Etoile de Holland isn't very old but from the start it has repeated well and has had huge, very fragrant blooms. To me they're a lot more fragrant than Cl Crimson Glory, and a much deeper red. It is a damask fragrance.
    Dublin Bay is great and repeats well but it has no fragrance. Fields of the Wood is very good in all respects. I have Cl. Oklahoma but it is not in the best spot so I don't think it is as vigorous as it would be somewhere else, but it is the most beautiful and very fragrant.

• melissa_thefarm
    12 years ago

I cannot imagine a rose being more fragrant than 'Cl. Etoile de Hollande'. Really. It's deep red and for me has always been an easy and beautiful rose. I'm not familiar with the climbing form of 'Oklahoma', but the shrub is certainly wonderful.

• michaelg
    12 years ago

We are lucky to have a number of good red climbers. 'Quadra' is the best for hardiness and blackspot resistance. 'Tess of the d'Urbervilles' hasn't attracted much attention, but it has a superb, long-lasting flower and some degree of blackspot resistance in my garden.

• organic_tosca
    12 years ago

Though my red roses weren't climbers ('Oklahoma' and 'Nigrette'), they both disliked the western exposure I have (especially Nigrette, but that rose wouldn't be under consideration for your fencing anyway). 'Oklahoma' is a wonderful rose, with a jewel-like color of much depth. I saw the climbing version once, and it was gorgeous, but that was in Portland, Oregon. I'm in Sacramento, CA, and my shrub of 'Oklahoma' crisped in the hot sun, which was on it all afternoon. If it appeals to you, though, you could use it on the part of fencing that is NOT facing west. I have to say that all the roses mentioned in the replies to your post look and sound wonderful! I'm in love with 'Bardou Jobis'!

Laura

• odinthor
    12 years ago

One of my favorite roses is 'Climbing Chrysler Imperial' but just try to find a source! 'Climbing Hadley' did well for me a number of years ago. Lots of people like 'Souvenir de Claudius Denoyel' (though I personally could never figure out what folks found special about it). The semi-double 'Noella Nabonnand' is one of the few roses which presents a true "sheet of bloom" at the height of its season. Another direction to go would be some of the rangier red HPs; right now, my 'Duc de Bragance' is splendid with its richly-colored, full blossoms. Yet another direction to go would be such roses as 'Will Scarlet' and 'Wilhelm'. 'Erinnerung an Brod' would bring you into another, and complementary, color range. But 'Climbing Cramoisi Superieur' is truly a splendid and dependable rose . . .

• annabeth
    12 years ago

I have to add my vote in for Dublin Bay. While it is thorny and not so fragrant (mine has a little), I love its abundance of bloom and its color. The red stays red. It doesn't fade to the magenta/purplish color that a lot of reds do. I also find that the blooms last a while on the bush. It does repeat well and for me was not a slow starter. Mine is in full sun all day long (so east, south, west exposures in a hot-summer climate). It is a very stiff caned climber.

I also have Quadra which has pretty blooms but not as many as Dublin Bay and it is the slower starter for me. It is a nice rose too.

I don't know if I should mention Ramblin' Red since mine died last summer. While it was alive it was a great rose and was starting to ramble. I think its demise was due to not enough water from me during our hot summer. Our automatic sprinkler system is not operational now so everything relies on me to give it the water it needs. Poor Ramblin' Red would probably still be with me if I hadn't messed up.

Annabeth

• erasmus_gw
    12 years ago

Dublin Bay is sturdy enough to grow as a shrub. I agree that it repeats very well and is a pretty shade of true red. It's vigorous and can take some shade too..mine is under a plum tree and gets morning sun.
    I have a new Tess of the d'Urbervilles and am looking forward to seeing what it does. Altissimo is also very sturdy and mine is more of a large vase shaped shrub than a climber. The hips are the largest of all my roses.

• Llanwenlys
    12 years ago

I think that if it were me I would really disguise the chain link fence in a way that roses could not do, because they are not dense enough. I would allow ivy to cover it completely, and keep it trimmed the way the French do. Then I would plant red climbers and allow them to grow up the ivy covered fence. The solid green background would really pop the red of the rose.

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got the bid today, wow, unbelievable to me, but, hey, I'm getting old and can't keep up with the pricing on everything; it just doesn't support the neighborhood I live in. So, right now, I'm thinking of going with Cl Cramoisi Superieur and Crimson Glory. Actually, I really like this idea so much better!

Will let you know what I finally get, thank you all for all the suggestions and ideas!

• ilovemyroses
    12 years ago

glad to hear this!! where are you getting these? i know chamblee's has CCS. i think that is where i am leaning too. just hear a bit that rebloom is slow. that may be just an isolated situation. i do love the flower.

i have a friend here with maggie that is gorgeous. haven't ruled her out.

i love imaginative solutions to things!! i always feel if i don't like something, paint it, or grow a rose around it!!

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, ilovemyroses, guess where my son is going for Easter, Tyler! I called him, he will pick up Cramoisi Sup. and noticed they also have Dublin Bay, so that's what I'll get!

• jeffcat
    12 years ago

I would have to say Dublin Bay is one of my favorite red climbers...so much so that I have it as my red climber. While it doesn't get the mass abundance of blooms others do, it truly is a "large flowered" climber so the blooms are about typical in a regular HT size. The other plus is that it is as true red as true red can get.
    {{gwi:238739}}

{{gwi:238740}}
    {{gwi:238741}}

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My Dublin Bay and Cr Superieur will be arriving in the next couple of days.

The Dublin Bay will go on the front fence, and I would surely appreciate any advice you have on this question. Right now I have an Autumn Clematis growing on this fence, sort of (I have issues growing vines), all the growth is mainly on top, and it tumbles down. Should I remove this vine, or do you think they would work together?

Thanks for any advice!

• jeffcat
    12 years ago

I have Dublin Bay, Graham Thomas, and clematis growing together on a lattice. They do fine together. Just make sure the long canes are twined sturdily to whatever is climbing so it won't rip the vines. Other than that, the clematis does fine with them.

• annabeth
    12 years ago

Jeffcat, those pics are fantastic! Also, I'd love to see a pic of your lattice with both DB and GT and a clematis on it. Which clematis did you choose to tie those two roses together?

Annabeth

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths