Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roserich

Vignettes of roses and companions

My garden is essentially a blank slate. It's time to free the ghetto and plant all the companions I have been growing from seed.
It's too overwhelming to consider this entire area so I am taking it in vignettes or small areas.
I'd really love to hear what roses look great together or what you grow together that looks great.
Photos would be especially welcome. Essentially I have about every cottage rose companion I can grow in my Zone.
Thanks for sharing!
Susan

Comments (10)

• mendocino_rose
    11 years ago

Suan have you heard of Stephen Scaniello's book? I think it's called Roses and Their Companions. I found it very helpful. How exciting that you have grown all these plants from seed. I can't imagine you going wrong.
    Here's one photo. I find it's rather difficult to find a perfect one involving companions.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    11 years ago

Essentially I have about every cottage rose companion I can grow in my Zone.

Is that a challenge?

A lot of OGRs get big. Really big. When you start talking about shrubs that size, it starts getting important to find things to grow *underneath* them.
    {{gwi:238952}}

This is what is under Darlow's Enigma. Pulmonaria, epimediums, Solomon Seal, species geraniums, brunnera, and ferns are on this side. Hellebores, woodland phlox, hosta and carex are on the other side.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mendocino, I have that book and I think it is very useful. I wish there had been more pictures though. I love love love your garden and I hope mine will be as lovely.
    I'm just a visual person and I have to see them...
    Mad, thanks for the reminder about them creating shade. So many of my roses are such babies...I guess that's why I'm focusing now on the companions.
    To get some color and life into the garden. I have a Darlow's Enigma. Geraniums are something I never tire of--particularly Geranium phaeum. Culvers root, Mexican fleabane, a. mollis, lamb's ear, erigeron, astrantia, cardoon...
    I hope others will share.
    Thanks!
    Susan

• zaphod42
    11 years ago

I don't follow any particular color scheme, but plant what I like. These images are from 2011 and I've since moved out a few things because of crowding. For the most part I throw things in and see how it works. There have been a couple more roses added since as well. The roses you see in these pics are Mme Hardy and Hot Cocoa.

{{gwi:238953}}

{{gwi:238954}}

{{gwi:238955}}

• buford
    11 years ago

zaphod, that is absolutely beautiful! Well done. I've been trying to get that cottage garden look, but haven't done it quite as well. I think it gets too hot here.

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

Susan - completely different climate, but here is a pic - in my garden I just sort of plant lots of stuff, and if it dies, it dies, and if it thrives I plant more of it. In this pic are roses, hollyhocks (not blooming yet), petunias, iris, iaxa, & South African daisies. I think it helps to have some sort of wall or fence or house wall or tree to use as support/backdrop, etc.

Jackie

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

Susan, you might want to look at the antique rose gallery for pictures there. A lot of people don't realize the gallery is there, but you'll see before the topics the word Gallery in parentheses when you first click on the antique forum.

Ingrid

• User
    11 years ago

argh - Zaphod - I have trollius envy. Love the oriental poppies too.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

I had to look up trollius. I've never seen it grown here. Probably too hot. Beautiful pics everyone.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You all's gardens are inspirational! and I will take a look at the antique roses gallery...didn't know there was one!
    I'm just going to start planting.
    Beautiful vignettes.
    Susan