Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kippy_the_hippy

Cecile Brunner-Favorite Sports & Babies

Kippy
10 years ago

What are your favorite forms of Cecile Brunner, her sports or varieties it parents?

There seems to be quite a variety. I picked up a couple for my lower fence project rather than the other roses I was considering before. Maybe there is a great one not on my wish list that should be there.

Comments (6)

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

I have all three CB forms which were identified by DNA analysis (bush, spray, and climbing). The climbing one is sparse on re-bloom, but the others do great. I think Jeri has talked about a better re-blooming climbing one - perhaps someone can let us know where you could get it.

Jackie

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

I forgot - Jeri says there is a white sport that she likes a lot. I have not seen it.

Oh, and I should warn you - any version of Climbing Cecile Brunner will get huge - here is the one on my house

Jackie

• Kippy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have the one climber I got on sale last year as a 1g. She has a big girl cane heading up at what seems like inches a day. I am tempted to pull it out horizontally but think I will let that one just go. For size I wish I had planted it in a different section of chainlink, but am also looking forward to it screening the street from the garden too.

I got an Everblooming variety from Heirloom I plan to put close enough to grow in to this one. And a "Pink Gate" from a cutting to go by the gate. The neighbor across the street should like the combo and the screening

For across the bottom of the property, and where we can see it, I have Rita Sammons and Opal Brunner

I also have a Phyllis Bide and cutting of Perle d'Or with any luck my wonderful neighbors on that side of the property will vanish behind a wall of green. (Spent the afternoon planting veggies to the scent of pot and screaming at each other, the toddlers and the dogs....to bad roses don't make smoothing sounds ....)

• roseseek
    10 years ago

I have only retained Pink Gate, White Cecile Brunner and the unrelated Opal Brunner. Kim

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

I think I have the spray version, Kippy. I ordered the standard bush Cecile, but the one I received grew to 8 feet tall or so. She definitely throws "sprays" of delicate pink buds a foot above her stout frame. She's just as pretty as the bush version but is maybe best planted below one's vantage point? I have to crook my neck to admire 2/3 of her flowers. White Cecile Brunner is very pretty. Each cluster of blooms is like a tiny fairy wedding bouquet. The creamy white flowers are blushed pale lemon in the center. I'm glad you have a Perle d'Or. It's charming! (Ignore my posting about her thorns. We've been battling together for over 10 years, so we're obviously devoted.) Your boundary plantings will be magical in full flush! So sorry about the neighbors. A couple of summers ago I gardened to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle theme song, constant profanity and bellowed references to the substance abuse of the moment. My former neighbors, unanimously nicknamed The Skater Dudes due to their habit of erecting skateparks smack in the middle of our street, have since moved along, praise be! Hang in there. Carol

This post was edited by PortlandMysteryRose on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 4:52

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

I live smack in the middle of 25 acres so have no neighbor issues. My husband keeps making noises about being too old for this and wanting to move to a condo. Not going to happen.

I have spray Cecile, and she's a heavy bloomer here. I had Perle until it succumbed to my cane dieback disease. While it was here, it bloomed beautifully. I had the climber and got not one bloom in three years. Dug her out (she was huge), and then Jeri advised it takes some climbers at least three years to bloom. Too late.