Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbarag_happy

Replacement for Blush NOisette

barbarag_happy
12 years ago

Blush Noisette is in the middle of the antique garden but is shorter than the circle of roses around her (Marie Daly and Little White Pet) and is not blooming well.

The space is too small for MAC or Mme. Plantier.

So what antique to replace her with, that has a nice shape and shade tolerance. (Fragrance not critical since you can't really reach her!)

We have Rosette de Lizy and Natchitoches Noisette which could be moved into her spot but I'm unsure about their shade tolerance.

Comments (10)

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    12 years ago

I have Natchitoches Noisette in half a day shade and right now, it is covered in blooms. You might try putting a pillar where your Blush Noisette is - I have one on a pillar and it is beautiful, tall and just dripping with those lightly fragrant blooms. Maybe it needs some support.

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Our Rosette Delizy is easily 6 ft tall. Closer to 7. It's a good 5 ft. wide. Far larger than any books will tell you it gets to be, but typical of a really mature Tea.

It's NOT a good subject for planting in shade, though it is certainly mildew-free -- because it has many petals.

How wide is your space, and how tall do you want the finished plant to be? Would White Cecile Brunner work for you?

Jeri

• JessicaBe
    12 years ago

gesh your getting rid of your Blush Noisette! Poor thing.. :)

• User
    12 years ago

Are you sure it's Blush Noisette? I have a hard time picturing it being smaller than Marie Pavie. Even straight from the nursery my BN was 3x the size of MP.

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Our Blush Noisette was a rather poor specimen, budded on Huey, and just generally not vigorous. We finally pulled him out and left instead "Placerville White Noisette"/"Jacob Zeiz," which was a far healthier plant, and very like B.N.

The other thing about Blush Noisette is that it seems to be very very unstable, and has sported to about a jillion other very similar but not quite the same roses. There are even a couple of them that are very "dwarf." I grow one of those -- "Roseville Noisette" which makes 3ft. or even less, and is otherwise more or less identical to B.N. (and is identical as to DNA).

Jeri

• barbarag_happy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Natchitoches Noisette on a pillar-- I like it!

Cecile Brunner is too BS prone for this bed--too bad since the white would be glorious.

I love Blush Noisette and will move her to a nice spot in full sun. Maybe I'll feed her like a Bourbon too---!!

My Rosette de Lizy is built like a girl basketball player, 2 ft by 6 feet (she is peering in my son's bedroom window. Naughty girl!)

• jerijen
    12 years ago

HAHAHA! That's so funny, and so true!

Jeri

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    12 years ago

Natchitoches Noisette does bloom in a lot of shade! I found out by accident. I can't wait to see her with more sun! I had her in what turned out to be an embarrassing amount of shade :D

• luxrosa
    12 years ago

'Westside Road Cream Tea' is a white old garden Tea that matures at c. 4 and 1/2 feet tall by about the same width.
    Good fragrance and a lovely bloom form. I've spent more than an hour being mesmerized by the beauty of a single bloom in a bud vase in rose meditation.
    David Austin has started breeding roses from a Noisette, and I noticed that Luanne has it growing in her no spray garden. The foliage was clean (!) in her no-spray garden.
    All the Tea roses in my garden bloom normally with half a days sunlight, on the east or west side of the house.
    Old Garden Tea rosebushes build so slowly, in our climate that a few can be kept at c. 5 and 1/2 feet tall.
    'Etoille de Lyon' is one of those. The trick is to never prune a large amount off of it at one time, but to remove a little extra every season when deadheading to keep it at your desired size.
    At the Berkeley Botanical garden they've kept a 'Mrs. B.R. Cant' rosebush at less than 4 and 1/2 feet tall, but c. 8 feet in diameter for more than a decade. It is a very impressive sight, because one can see other taller rosebushes behind it blooming. Because of the large width of the plant the size of blooms are as large as they usually are. Looking down at it it appears like a table covered with large pink rose blossoms.
    'Catos Cluster' is more resistant to b.s. in my no-spray garden, and I love its' blossoms far more than 'Blush Noisette' which is why I replaced it with Catos' Cluster'.
    It is a short climber on its' own roots, to c. 6 to 8 feet tall. 'La Nymphe' is similar in the size of plant, but with shapely pale rose pink and white blooms that show their Bourbon ancestry.
    This week I'm considering adding a rose which is reported to be very disease resistant;
    'Jeanne d'Arc' a white Noisette from A.R.E.. The photos at helpmefind.com remind me of the blooms of white 'Rose of York' in the way they are round, showing a golden-yellow boss of stamens within, more towards orange on the Noisette. Glossy foliage means the leaves are covered with a self-protecting cuticle which prevents disease.
    I feel that one can never have too many Noisettes.

Luxrosa

• jerijen
    12 years ago

I feel that one can never have too many Noisettes.
    Luxrosa

*** I absolutely agree!!

Jeri