Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19773911

Teas with large flowers and for cutting?

User
15 years ago

Would anyone like to recommend teas that have large flowers and/or are good for bouquets?

I'm putting together a "Tea Wish List", and there are so many on it that I'm having to add "large flower" and "bouquet-ability" as qualifiers to narrow down my choices (at least for this year)!

thanks,

Avalon

Comments (17)

• jerijen
    15 years ago

Well, you know bloom size for Tea Roses isn't for the most part going to be huge.
    Some are bigger than others, of course, but they're not a match for really big HTs.
    Vase life is a different issue, and many of the Teas have a very good vase life, particularly if picked on the early side.

Here's a bouquet of Teas:

{{gwi:234729}}

Clockwise, from top: 'Mme. Antoine Rebe' Quite a large single, with a surprisingly good vase life); Mrs. B.R. Cant (picked tight), Mme. Berkeley, Mme. Berkeley, Mrs. B.R. Cant, Catherine Mermet.

Catherine Mermet and her darker sport, 'Bridesmaid,' produce large blooms, for Teas, and have a good vase life.
    Mme. Berkeley makes a smaller bloom, on a big, vigorous plant, and blooms in huge volume. Great vase life.
    Mrs. B.R. Cant opens quite large, but the petals are softer, and I don't find the good vase life.

Still, with Teas, if the blooms only last a couple of days in a vase, you can be sure of finding more to pick when you want them.

Jeri

• malmason
    15 years ago

Hello Avalon,

My Tea recommendation for cut flower will be Mrs. Dudley Cross, Georgetown Tea, Devoniensis, Mme. Driout, and Mme.
    Berkeley. Right now due to the moderate weather in Houston, they put a bloom about 4 inches in dir. when they are fully opened. Except Mme. Berkley, her bloom stays about 3 inches in dir. but she has very strong staying power.

Papa Gontier and Rainbow don't have much staying power.

Like Jeri mentioned, you would like to cut them when they are faily young.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

I've noticed that Souvenir d'un Ami (the one Vintage sells) does quite well in a vase, at least this time of the year when it's not hot yet. Another long-lasting one is Blumenschmidt, although the flowers are not large. I find them very charming, though, wth a full-petaled look, yellow on the inside with sometimes a pale pink rim.

• bellegallica
    15 years ago

I never got to grow it, but one I've always wanted was 'Baronne Henriette de Snoy.'

A child of 'Gloire de Dijon.' Supposed to be great in a vase. But like Jeri said, I large tea would probably be medium-sized by modern HT standards.

Click the link below to check out the Baroness

Here is a link that might be useful: Baronne Henriette de Snoy

• tenor_peggy
    15 years ago

I had Baronne Henriette de Snoy and its canes were almost as stiff as a HT so it held its flowers up like modern HTs do. Some folks say it is fragrant but I could never detect any.

• carolfm
    15 years ago

William R. Smith, Mrs Dudley Cross, Devoniensis and Baronne Henriette de Snoy, have larger blooms and will last a few days in a vase. The biggest blooms are on William R. Smith.

Carol

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks to all (Jeri, Malmason, Ingrid, bellegallica, T. Peggy and Carolfm) for replying- I'm looking forward to making an order this Fall, to plant for S.Florida's "Springtime". I will absolutely look on the web to find pictures and info on all the suggested roses.

Jeri- As you said, the tea blooms may be smaller but there's plenty of 'em - that's definitely a bouquet, by my standards!

Question for tenor Peggy: How did your B. de Snoy do here in Fla? Did it survive and thrive?

thanks again,
    Avalon

• sherryocala
    15 years ago

Avalon, I just noticed yesterday how long Jean Bach Sisley's peduncles are. They seemed twice as long as Teas I've seen, and it struck me that this would make them more "long-stemmed" in a vase. Also, JBS blooms have lots more petals than other Chinas and can be quartered.
    {{gwi:239207}}
    One year ago
    {{gwi:239208}}
    Yesterday
    {{gwi:239209}}
    In January
    {{gwi:239210}}
    Very densely foliated bush has beautiful burgundy edged new leaves and canes
    {{gwi:239212}}
    And my favorite incarnation of this rose
    {{gwi:238527}}
    It was planted in 12/07. I really love it.

Sherry

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

I've cut blooms from 'Mrs Dudley Cross' for vases many times, and they've done pretty well.

Sherry, your Jean Bach Sisley look really good, bloom and plant shape.

Randy

• melissa_thefarm
    15 years ago

How about considering Tea-like early Hybrid Teas? I don't know how many there are out there, but I have 'Mme. Jules Bouché', a Tea-scented white (creamy white, with a honey-tinted center), as elegant as she is sturdy. I must admit I don't know how she'd do in Florida, specifically I don't know about her blackspot resistance, but this variety is a passalong plant all over Italy, rooting readily from cuttings and growing well ownroot. Her blooms are Tea style, double and large from urn-shaped buds, while the growth habit and foliage are intermediate between Tea and Hybrid Tea. Probably there are other varieties of like quality out there--I wish I had more roses in this style.

Melissa

• andreageorgia
    15 years ago

Mme Jules Bouche is such a beautiful rose - the blooms seemed to last well on the bush, although I don't remember her vase life (I grew her a while ago in North Carolina, but not here in England). She is definitely more of a tea rose in subtelty of appearance. Without spray, she will get BS, but is not heavily disease prone. In that vein, how about the gorgeous and heavily scented deep red Francis Dubreuil - (who definitely needs spray to keep his leaves)?

I also grew Baronne Henriette de Snoy in NC, but it was a disease ridden PM/BS magnet that barely produced any blooms - a few in the spring and a couple in the fall. If it did, they were often impressive, although only lightly scented if I remember correctly ( I can detect tea scent and any other very well). So its usual appearance was a couple of thick and very upright more or less naked canes with a few diseased leaves on it. I only grew it for two or three seasons and got rid of it.

My experience was that not all teas are healthy in the US South. Quite a few I had mildewed heavily, more than most of my other roses, and they were no strangers to BS either.

Andrea

• luanne
    15 years ago

{{gwi:239213}}
    Clementina is putting out big blooms this year as is
    {{gwi:239214}}
    Souvenir de Claudius Denoyal and the fragrance is exceptional.
    {{gwi:217641}}
    Maman Couchet is a huge bloom for a tea.
    Just the buds on Devoniensis are so exquisite and big I keep walking out there to stare at them.
    {{gwi:239215}}
    {{gwi:239216}}
    {{gwi:239217}}
    and Lady Hillingdon is big, and can speak for herself. These are the first photos since the big harddrive virus problem got fixed.
    good luck,
    la

• jerome
    15 years ago

I pick lots of teas and bring them in huge bunches for the people here at the office. The above suggestions are great. Mme. Berkeley is wonderful cut; I like to cut Lady Hillingdon when still an opening bud - exquisite; Monsieur Tillier is exquisite cut; I even cut Reve d'Or still just opening...all lovely. The huge ones (at least in my garden - your situation may be different) are the following: William R. Smith; Mrs. B.R. Cant; Mrs. Dudley Cross; Etoile de Lyon; Maman Cochet and White Maman Cochet (the blooms are huge) and Baronne Henriette de Snoy. All those from WRS on are as large as my hybrid tea blooms, except maybe for something really huge like "Brandy". They are beautiful in a vase, and everyone who sees them just stops and gawks.

• tenor_peggy
    15 years ago

Avalon, I had Baronne Henriette de Snoy in a container back up north. Because I couldn't detect any fragrance I gave it to a friend and never tried it here.

• greybird
    15 years ago

Nice big flowers that last on the vine and in the vase.

Mlle. de Sombreuil

{{gwi:239221}}

• peachiekean
    15 years ago

My Catherine Mermet seems to have nice big cutting flowers. I cut one today but gave it away. More on the way. Little Frances Grate is pumping the blooms on a 1 foot plant. Also my Gen. Schablakine is going to open a bloom this weekend. I'm so excited!!! I love the small flowers so far, as they go fine as such in my little house.