Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshtx

The cemetery plans move forward

joshtx
10 years ago

Just got out of a meeting with the head of the forestry department in Allen, and all signs are go for getting roses in the ground. This Friday at 1:30pm I'm meeting them back out here with an auger and some plants to get the first of many roses in the ground. The city is also providing roses for the project, as Allen partners with Chambersville Tree Farm to do landscaping. What a great surprise! The first roses to get in the ground will be:

2 x 5 gal. Duchesse de Brabant
1 x 5 gal. Cramoisi Supeurieur
4 x 30 gal. Mutablis

And a few Martha Gonzales of unknown size. They said that they could bring their 500 gallon watering truck out there to water the roses once or twice a week, and I asked to be responsible for the upkeep and care of the roses to which they agreed. They also said that since some of the roses will be coming in as smaller plants, they'd construct cages around them to keep the mow and blow guys from mowing them to the ground.

I talked about partnering with the locally owned nursery 5 minutes down the road called Puckett's, and also getting the community involved to spur interest. I explained how the San Jose Rose Garden partners with FoSJRG to do pruning and upkeep. They liked that idea, and also agreed that they would be enthusiastic about making the rose garden/cemetery an icon for Allen along with our stadium. They explained that everyone, including their director, has been wanting to beautify the cemetery but other projects have taken precedence. It seems that the timing for this was perfect, and everyone is getting what they want.

I'll post pictures from the planting when I have them! Thanks for all of y'all's support as well, it has been so helpful as I've navigated this project.

Josh

Comments (29)

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

That is great news, will be looking forward to pictures!

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

It's so fortunate that these folks are interested and helpful. My best wishes for success.

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Wow - that is so exciting! Can't wait to see your pictures of the roses being planted.

Do the mow & blow guys use weed whackers? Those can do horrible damage to even very large roses.

Anyway, you have done such good work so far, sounds like you are succeeding already - keep us posted.

Jackie

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

Congratulations! Cant wait to see photos!

Judith

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Josh, I'm pleasantly surprised at the amount of cooperation you're receiving. Given that, the project should be a great success. I love that you're planting Mutabilis and DdB. I've never grown Martha so can't comment, but it should be a tough and appropriate choice for your area. Can't wait for pictures either!

Ingrid

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Josh you have a future at the United Nations! I am so impressed that you are working so well with a municipality to beautify a city's treasure!
    Good for you! Please keep us updated.
    Susan

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! I am counting down the days until we get to plant. I can't help but feel this is a work of love that has resulted from all of y'all's investment in me. Perhaps those of us going to Rosedango can swing by the cemetery to see its meager beginnings.

Jackie,

I will have to inquire as to the weed whacked situation, but I do know they mow the cemetery with a riding mower. How can I protect the roses from a weed whacked if they use one?

Josh

• cath41
    10 years ago

Josh,

To protect roses from weed whacking, wire cages would do or even that accordian type plastic that they use at the end of downspouts (very cheap) if the rose is slender enough. All you do is slit one side and slip it around the rose. This is often used to protect young trees. Congratulations on your progress. Whether you move or not, you will have left something of lasting benefit.

Cath

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

This is such a wonderful thing you're doing, Josh! I can't wait to see pictures of your progress!

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

Those are some great choices! Congratulations! What a wonderful legacy--you're starting young :-)

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

You're amazing, Josh! Please post photos whenever you have a chance. I really am going to swing by that cemetery as soon as I have moments to spare on trips to Dallas. Hope your weather is as nice in N TX as it is in PDX today. Carol

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here come the photos!

The cemetery before the planting:

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Duchesse and Cramoisi plants I brought.

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One of the 30 gal Mutablis we planted. They only brought 2/4, and said they would call next Friday and see if we could go back out and get the rest in the ground.

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Digging the holes. It ended up being me and the head of forestry out there, sans auger, digging giant holes in the ground for these 30 gal monsters.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

What a wonderful thing you are doing!

Thank you

• cath41
    10 years ago

Josh

The before picture made me think of the spiritual 'Look Down Look Down That Lonesome Road'. The roses you are planting will make that cemetery so much more comforting for those who need it.

Cath

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Josh

Applause to you and the head of forestry, Josh! That's a lotta holes to dig in N Tex soil! Clay and caliche. Thanks for the photos. A picture (of enormous pots of Mutabilis and hours of back-breaking work) is worth a thousand words!

There's an old cemetery in Dallas that I used to slip into as a kid and if it's still open, you might be interested in some detective work. Roses grew there back in the day and you might find some old plants for cuttings. The site is called the Cox Family Cemetery. It's just off Fisher Rd. near White Rock Lake.

Carol

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These pics wouldn't upload yesterday for some reason....

Here are the two Mutablis, standing guard to the road. The first roses we plant are going to line the road per the request of the forestry department.

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol,

Ooh, you've got me hot on the trail of this cemetery now! The next day off I get, and after the cemetery is done, I'll be headed down to White Rock Lake! Whenever you're here and decide to swing by the cemetery, let me know and I'll meet you out there!

As always I really appreciate y'all's support!

Josh

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

After a few years, I can just picture what this will look like in spring. Wow!

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Will do, Josh.

Carol

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

Oh, that is going to look gorgeous! There is so much full sun there--the roses are going to go crazy! A lot of old cemeteries have too much shade--very beautiful--but not good for roses.

I need to figure out some things that will do in high shade, sandy soil, at an old cemetery we have family at. It's just not ideal for roses.

I wish I lived closer--I'd love to dig holes & help plant.

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    10 years ago

I'm so impressed! Josh, I hope that you will be around to post pictures when these roses mature and begin to bloom. It will be wonderful to walk or drive through the cemetery in spring. You're doing something special for your community.

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bluegirl,

Perhaps try Hybrid Musks? They seem to like the shade and are pretty resilient.

I am excited to see how everything turns out! We still have a lot of roses to plant so I'll be keeping everyone updated. Thankfully we had a torrential downpour of rain last night so everything got watered nice and deep!

Josh

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another update!

2 more 30 gallon Mutablis went into the ground last week, so the four way intersection in the cemetery now has a large Mutablis on each corner. They're all starting to fill out with leaves!

Of the roses already planted, the two Duchesse de Brabant from my collection are putting on new growth and so is Cramoisi Supeurieur! Hopefully they'll make it through the summer and on to be big next year!

This week we are planting even more roses. I received a very generous donation from a lady in Waco, and will be planting a 30 gallon Ducher thanks to her. I also had a friend of mine donate to the project, and so 3 more roses will be added from his donation. I'll be planting:

Ispahan
    Ducher
    Fortune's Double Yellow
    Katharine Zeimet
    Jeanne D'Arc (Noisette)
    La Marne (Thank you Bluegirl!)

Busy day! I'll post pics!

Josh

• User
    10 years ago

Oh Josh - surely this is the essence of gardening....the impulse to share, to spread around beauty and joy. Wishing you well in all your endeavours.

Top rosing!

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

I agree that the large expanse of flat land in the sun looks like the perfect place for roses, and they will get big and provide not only color, but some relief from the flatness.

Such good work you are doing! Partnering with local establishments is very important - you cannot do this alone. Sounds as if you have thought long and hard about this, and come up with good ideas.

Can't wait to see more pics. If you need any pics of mature roses to estimate their eventual size, just ask - someone on here will have pics.

Jackie

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Wonderful roses for the location, Josh. I appreciate the updates on your progress. You have orchestated such a beautiful and beautifying community project! This garden will create such joy and amazement...for generations. And you go, Bluegirl! Carol

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional