Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

Need Rose Suggestions for a Small Pot Ghetto Please

Last night, my hubby suggested that I start a small pot garden on the balcony outside of our master suite. He told me that he would run the irrigation to the area so the roses would be watered automatically. I grow very few roses in pots, actually, only two, because I like the idea of plant it once and there it stays. His feeling sorry for me and making the suggestion, combined with my coveting of many roses seems to have perfect timing!

The issues is, I tend to be a plant it, feed it , prune it gardener. If anything attacks my roses that cannot generally be stopped with a good spray of water or homemade insecticidal soap, then it has no place in my garden. I am hoping to find two or three fragrant roses that can survive for a while in a decent size pot 20-22" (4 years?), that have enough heat tolerance to handle the summers here. SDLM comes to mind, but I already have a handful of those. Do you all have any suggestions?

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 11:30

Comments (25)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Bishop's Palace and Sophy's Rose have done well in one of the hotter parts of my garden. La France also does well in the heat. Sophy's Rose is not fragrant; the other two are quite fragrant. Wild Edric apparently does very well in heat and drought. My four are recent bands but I can say that the foliage is completely clean. The one flower it had (which was promptly eaten by a rodent) had a wonderful almost wild rose smell.

Ingrid

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    10 years ago

Try 'Golden Buddha'. I have mine planted in the ground, but it doesn't get big and would happily live in a large pot.

:-)

~Christopher

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Christopher & Ingrid,

Thank you for the great suggestions! I have a handful of Bishop's Castle in my front yard so I do not want repeats, although it has performed very well here. I will definitely place Golden Buddha, Sophy's Rose, Wild Edric, and La France on my list. I had considered La France for my front yard but purchased 2 additional SDLM. Ive had my eye on Wild Edric, but until now, I just did not know where I could find room for it.

Another issue I must resolve is determining a color scheme for the roses. My DH doesn't mind if the roses are clumped together like a sampling from a box of crayons. I usually attempt to create a color theme. I do not know if there are any "aesthetic" based rules associated with designing with pots?

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

I have a rather large pot garden (in addition to the ghetto!). I use similar shaped and tinted pots...urns...classical stuff. Some may have a faded concrete, some terra cotta, some iron...but they are all in the neutral family. That seems to pull a random assortment together.
    I love my Clotilde in a pot. So pretty. And Little White Pet...Verdun...the Polyanthas are great for pots and charm (not much on scent however) but super easy care and healthy. I am lusting for Golden Buddha which will be on the list for next year.
    Susan

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    10 years ago

Oh, I thought of a few more to look up:

"Bermuda Spice"

'Ducher'

'Eugene de Beauharnais'

'Marie Pavie'

'Mme Dore'

"Sophie's Perpetual"

'Sweet Chariot'

Also look at the various Miniatures that are out there. While most aren't known for fragrance, there are a few of them out there if you do some digging. For example, I keep checking availability for 'Diamond Eyes', which is basically a miniature cousin of the various purple roses bred by Tom Carruth.

:-)

~Christopher

• Adam Harbeck
    10 years ago

"Francois Dubreuil" powers through heat waves and is an all-round stunning rose, and well-suited to pot culture. My only suggestion is that you have a tough plant to cast some dappled shade from the hot afternoon sun. It would look good alongside a dwarf Pomegranate. Similar hanging red flowers, and the pomegranates put on a good autumn display.

I would try to get pots of different shapes and sizes but similar tones. Personally I like salt-glazed pots and the glazed ones with runs of different colours. They seem to harmonise. Though I confess I havenâÂÂt grown roses in them.

Here's another testimony in his favour :)
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/rosesant/msg0410341531754.html

• Kippy
    10 years ago

If I were you, I would look for a couple of those roses that you love but have heard that they hate our alkaline soil. You could make them their own special soil and not have to worry about making the neighboring roses unhappy.

When I went to Camarillo to see Jeri and Kim's presentations in November, some one had brought in a bouquet of 'Norwich Sweetheart' at the end of the event I begged the bouquet from one the lady who brought them. The scent was wonderful and I enjoyed them for days and days. It is a miniature and I think would look great in pots (I am going to visit our local farmers market and see if anyone is selling it locally-a benefit of having a mini rose greenhouse in town)

I am also enjoying the Polys in the front yard. Check out Britannia (no scent though) mine has a spray with probably 50 buds right now.

Weeping China Doll would look great in the combo too (but no scent)

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

For a mini, try Moonlight Scentsation, a white with lavender overtones. It smells wonderful! If fragrance is what you are looking for, why not plant old favorites like Crimson Glory, Chrysler Imperial, Fragrant Cloud, Lemon Spice, Perfume Delight, Double Delight, etc. and underplant them with pretty annuals like alyssum, potato vine or other annuals to cover the bare "legs" on these fragrant hybrid teas. Or just pick a color combination that you like [for me, that would be lavender and peach] and pick roses in those shades. Lots of possibilities.......

• mohavemaria
    10 years ago

Someone mentioned Eugene de Beauharnais and I had him in a pot in Las Vegas for several years until making the mistake of planting him in the ground which he didn't like. Very fragrant beautiful purple pink flowers but he did lose all his leaves in the worst of the heat until it cooled down.

A rose that keeps its leaves and throws the odd bloom all summer here is nimbus which I understand to stay small. Another rose that was mentioned is Francis Dubriel which I'm really loving right now with those extremely dark and fragrant blooms. I have very low expectations for roses in the summer here though, mostly that they just survive!

Maria

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

Maria, I have 2 Nimbus bands in pots - they are quite small but growing well. Is this a rose that likes to stay potted, like Eugene de Beauharnais? Got any suggestions on growing it well? Thanks......

Judith

Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! More great recommendations! Thank you all.

Maria and Christopher , Eugene de Beauharnais', I believe could be a "must have".

Alameda, Perfume delight became pretty tall in my last garden.

Kippy, what a great suggestion! I really like many of the polyanthas, but so many are not go to plants for my soil. I should look into making a soil concoction versus buying bagged potting mix.

I have a Marie Pavie and Clotilde Soupert growing in my front yard, but just one of each. There are 3 Little White Pets loaded with buds, but I have yet to see this rose, so I do not have a basis for much of an opinion. Unless it is amazing, I would be unlikely to repeat this one. Clotilde is still small but it has numerous blooms on it now. My hubby has made favorable comments about it twice.

Francois Dubrieul, I have read, fries in the heat. This makes me ambivalent about F.D. It looks gorgeous in the images.

Lynn

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    10 years ago

Cassie/Snowbelt is a very bushy polyantha that blooms year round here (although it slows down to only a few blooms during the coldest part of winter). Can have hundreds of small white flowers open at once and just keeps on going and going. Flowers are scented of honey. Sets tiny red hips. Seems to like heat. No signs of disease.

Anne Marie de Montravel is another white polyantha. Flowers are cupped and have lily of the valley scent. Mine is only young and in a spot that is fairly sheltered from the worst of the sun in the summer, so I can't say for sure about full sun heat tolerance, but it seems fine. Blooms a lot.

Denise Cassegrain is one I saw out at Cliff Orent's Eurodesert roses. He recommended it as a strongly fragrant white polyantha but someone else bought it before I did. The plant looked great in that hot environment, fyi.

Melissa

• mohavemaria
    10 years ago

Judith,

I really like nimbus and in a semi shaded spot on the edge canopy of an acacia tree it handled our brutal summer fine. Ii does look like it will stay small and is a bit on the scraggly side but it handles our alkaline conditions fine unlike another purple twilight zone right next to it that's getting the shovel.

Maria

Original Author
    10 years ago

Tessies, thank you for the suggestions. I have added Denise Cassegrain to my list.
    I am open to more great suggestions as I may not be able to acquire the three roses I need; especially in at least a 1 gallon size pot.

Lynn

• organic_tosca
    10 years ago

DesertGarden, I haven't checked lately, but there used to be a "Container Gardening" forum on GardenWeb, and the posters had many discussions about making one's own soil mix. I never tried it myself, but I learned a lot from reading those posts.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Lynn, you might consider Austin's Tamora or The Prince. They both stay smallish and compact with nice shapes and have lovely scents. One rose that is supposed to be small (I haven't tried it, but really want to) is Eyeconic Pomegranate Lemonade. The challenge with that one will be finding a seller, but if you do find it available somewhere, please let me know. Diane

Original Author
    10 years ago

Diane,

I have been coveting The Prince and William Shakespeare 2000 for some time now. They are both beautiful! I think that your suggestion of The Prince is more appropriate for the space as it would likely be the happier residing in a pot than WS2000.

Oh my!!! I have never seen those Eyeconic roses, am unfamiliar with the class of rose, but definitely interested. Should I locate a seller, I will definitely post the information.

So far, I am considering:

Wild Edric
    Sophy's Rose
    Golden Buddha
    Eugene de Beauharnais
    Denise Cassegrain
    Angel Face - modern

I am continuing to consider the possibilities as I attempt to narrow down a color scheme. I have been so busy that I haven't been able to sit and try visualizing how I want the balcony to appear, but with the help of you all, the fog is beginning to clear.

Lynn

• Adam Harbeck
    10 years ago

I was disappointed with WS2000. The blooms tended to split in the heat and not open out nicely. Munstead Wood was a better performer and is a good size for a pot.

Original Author
    10 years ago

While researching Golden Buddha, I stumbled across Jerri Jennings. It is a beautiful rose! The issue is J.J is a Hybrid Musk and will become really large so it is unlikely to be suitable for my pot garden. Do you all know of a yellow rose that is similar to J.J. that is small and heat tolerant?

Yellow is the most difficult color for me to work with; especially not having the ability to see the rose in person.

I tend to shy away from shocking, bright or lemony yellow.

Lynn

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Since it is on a balcony, I would avoid the super thorny roses. They are one in thing in a bed but another on your balcony.

Munstead Wood has an amazing variety and number of thorns! Some very minor pruning this week had me looking like I was trying out for a horror movie. (Just tried to remove a dead blind growth cane without gloves)

DA says 'A Wild Edric hedge will quickly become completely impenetrable, with the many prickly stems displaying gorgeous, textured foliage.' on their English site under hedges.

I know what you mean about lemon yellows, not my fave either. Sutter's Gold looks interesting.

I have a small battery powered leaf blower that is not super strong, I think it would work good on those mini petals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sutter's Gold

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    10 years ago

Regarding Wild Edric, I've been growing him since spring of 2012 (from Pickering), and he is a BIG rose. Now over 6 feet tall and spreading in habit. I doubt he is finished growing. I really love this rose, especially how well he does in heat with little water and no fertilizer, but it might be difficult to keep him happy in a pot, and he might want to eat up your whole pot ghetto. He is very thorny too......

Melissa

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all.

I know have The Prince and Denise Cassegrain

Lynn

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    10 years ago

Late nights of music after days of gardening fuel my rose posts often.

Roses that I have coveted at one point or another that might do well in pots include:

Jean Mermoz - Pink Polyantha
    Treasure Trail - Pink-Apricot Blend Barden Remontant Moss
    Snowbird - Creamy White HT
    Anne Marie de Montravel - White Polyantha mentioned above
    Marie Jeanne - Light Pink Polyantha
    Grey Dawn - Grey Floribunda
    Lullaby - Light Pink-White Polyantha
    Archiduc Charles -Cerise/Red/Pink China
    Indigo - Mauve Portland
    Lady Emma Hamilton - Orangeish Austin
    September Morn - Pink HT
    Violet Hood - Mauve Polyantha
    Pinnochio (but I don't think it's available now that Vintage is closed) - Pink Blend Floribunda
    Precious Dream - Orange-Apricot Blend Hybrid Bracteata by Moore
    Wedding Cake (if you like wacky roses) Pink-Green-Cream Moore Floribunda
    Cream Veranda - Cream Floribunda by Kordes
    and probably more if I thought about it.

I'd go for something you have coveted for a long time, that wouldn't go as well with your planted garden color schemes, that you'll care to water and attend to a bit more, and/or that is from a breeder you have had success with or have been meaning to try. I personally think I'm going to add a Treasure Trail for a pot the next time I make a Rogue Valley order.

And my mom is ordering a Jeri Jennings for a spot along what will be the "Hybrid Musk Wall" across from a row of grapes growing along part of one side of my parent's house. From what I understand, it can get fairly sizable in a warm climate. I've seen pictures of Felicia that look like a Floribunda though, so Hybrid Musks appear to be versatile in the garden.

Jay

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

I've had a garden on my deck for years. Most of the roses are minis. I don't much care for minis in the ground, in the garden, but I love my deck minis. I also have a couple of roses that are small like Fatastique and Madame Louis La Pierre that would have a hard time surviving in the main garden. I plant, petunias and million bells, even some bulbs in the pots. It looks better if you can vary elevation a bit. I use mini-standards for that. I find that clay pots start to fall apart over time. I use big ceramic pots. Adding organic matter is important for pots as the potting soil becomes dead after some time.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Jay, I have added many roses to my wish list.
    I especially like Anne Marie De Montravel. Thank you:) I am purchasing more decorative pots for the yard.

Mendocino,

Thank you for reminding me about the addition of organic matter. I have " really successfully" grown one rose in a pot and looking back realized that I had incorporated organic matter due to a lack of potting mix. It thrived for 5 years in that large pot.

Currently, I have Denise Cassegrain with deep purple petunias and some small trailing yellow annual in pots placed at the corners, and The Prince is in the middle. I will likely visit the nursery today or this week to find annuals to accompany it. I cannot visualize what to place with it as it is not flowering yet and I have yet to see this rose in person.

I am considering placing something that has height behind lounging chairs that we have placed cater-corner on the deck. Maybe a standardâ¦..

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 20:51