Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clanross

Best Alba for southern Va

clanross
10 years ago

I am getting ready to make a big rose order and would like to try an Alba rose. Preferable a shrub, not a climber. Are there any that will not do well here? What do you recommend? Thank you! :)

Comments (8)

• nastarana
    10 years ago

You do know albas bloom once only, right? They tend to bloom early, for about two-three weeks in warm climates. You might consider Mme. Plantier/Armida, which is thought to be an alba/Noisette hybrid. It can be grown as an umbrella shaped free standing shrub or can be trained to climb, in which case it behaves like a short rambler. The canes are long and flexible. I don't know about disease in warm and wet climates. In my yard, in cold and wet NY, I see no disease on Mme. Plantier at all.

If you like the graceful alba look, have you considered Noisettes, which have similar virtues and rebloom as well?

My MP, and its' duplicate which claimed to be Armida ,
    are about 4' tall and 6' wide, but the variety can tolerate more pruning than I like to do. Be sure to prune after the bush has finished blooming.

• joshtx
    10 years ago

While I have never grown any Albas due to zoning, I've heard that Konigin von Danemark is a great first Alba. It seems to be bulletproof by all accounts.

Josh

• monarda_gw
    10 years ago

I have not grown The Alexandra Rose, but have seen it and have been impressed with its loveliness. David Austin says it has alba parentage and its beautiful glaucous (greyish-bluish) green leaves show that. Its single flowers are soft creamy yellow touched with pink and it is a repeater. I think it makes a medium to large shrub.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Alexandra Rose

• clanross
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone. Yes, I understand that they bloom only once. I have lately moved to Virginia from South Mississippi, so just wanted to check and see if I have moved far enough North to give them a try. ;) I can safely say that it is much cooler here than in New Orleans, but perhaps not cool enough. ??? The Austins I have grown have been beautiful, but not without lots of spraying. Maybe they fare better in Va.

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

In my completely different climate, I greatly admire Maiden's Blush (pale pink) and Alba Semi-Plena, though really I like pretty much all of them. Our dear friend (and rose grower par exellence) Carol Meyer who lived in South Carolina had a great favorite in Madame Legras de St. Germain. I would imagine it would also do very well for you since it did well in her climate.

Rosefolly

• User
    10 years ago

Alba Semi-plena - the ur-alba to beat all others (in my book). Incomparable, classic, graceful, fragrant and HEALTHY

• lori_elf z6b MD
    10 years ago

Felicite Parmentier is a more compact growing alba with the most refined fragrance and beautiful flowers, my favorite of the group. Will get some blackspot but not too bad. I also love Great Maiden's Blush but it is bigger. They bloom a little later than the repeat bloomers in my garden which spreads out the first flush. Konigen Von Danemark has iron clad blackspot resistence but the flowers sometimes don't open well in wet weather here, can be disappointing in some years.

• clanross
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, everyone. The Albas are now on my "list". I have quite a bit of "prep" work on the new place -- we hope to take possession of it by month's end -- but should have plenty of room to indulge my rose and general gardening greed. ;)