Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Belmont Yellow

Posted by roseseek z 10, SoCal (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 12 at 16:16

Has anyone grown or studied Belmont Yellow, the yellow found poly? There is a real lack of any botanical information about it and I'd love to determine how it compares to Schmidt's Smooth Yellow. Any information possible would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Belmont Yellow

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Belmont Yellow

I've grown Belmont Yellow for several years. (More than six) I had one single bloom sport to a single, and that didn't happen again on that cane.

It does have thorns, and because it's a low grower they are hard to see (but easy to feel).

The foliage is clean and smooth, but then PM isn't a problem in my garden.

In a Lovett catalog at the US Dept of Agriculture library, I found a picture and description that resemble Belmont Yellow slightly. (Lovett was not just the Father of the three Lovett sisters for whom Van Fleet named roses, Lovett was Van Fleet's neighbor) My copy of that part of the page is blurred, as no photocopying is allowed and only digital cameras without flash are allowed.

o

Thank you Ann! I'm familiar with the Lovetts and Van Fleet. Might you remember the name of the rose in the Lovett catalog which resembled Belmont? That might give a good place to start. Also, what color is the new growth spring through summer, please? Do you notice a lot of red tones to the wood or does it remain green? Thank you! Kim

o

I'll keep looking for the digitals I took up in Beltsville.

New growth this year is a red edge to the leaves, but the leaves themselves are not at all red, even at their smallest. The red edge (were it permanent) could almost be called picotee. The leaves don't keep the red edge very long, and the red becomes the green that's in the HMF photos.

Buds open with sepals bending back and exposing a refined light yellow that is more like clotted or heavy cream. Really a great shade of yellow that I wish more roses had. As the petals open, the cream becomes white with the faintest cream backstory.

The canes and stems have never been especially red, even as basal breaks.

I think BY grows best with a fairly constant source of water and moderate fertilizer. I don't see it getting tall, but being a front of the border rose of the most desirable character.

o

Wonderful Ann, thank you! This helps greatly. Kim

o

Once I extricate my Belmont Yellow from the grips of neglect in the rose field, I will let you know how it does this year. It's alive, I know that for sure, but it's very small still.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here