Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lenie_gw

I need your opinion about these roses

lenie
11 years ago

Hello everyone I am planning to add more roses to my new garden and I fall I love with bourbons and teas they are so beautiful here's the list of roses I want to order;please comments on how they are.i live in zone 7 in me.thank you!
Rosette delizzy
Mme.joseph schwartz
Lady billings on
Gilbert nabonnand
Kronprincessin victori
Franciska Kruger
Veilchenblau
Mme.pierre oger
Louise odier
Grandmother's hat
Irene watts
Constance spry
Lady of shallot
Lady ema Hamilton

Thank you

Comments (6)

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Rosette delizzy --- A beauty in SoCal, where it has never rusted or mildewed, in umpty years. Color fades in hot weather, best in cool conditions.

Mme.joseph schwartz -- Lovely rose. Mildews badly here, and also in other places where I have observed it.
    But I finally found a clone of Duchesse de Brabant that is clean, so maybe MJS can be clean, too.

Gilbert Nabonnand -- Absolutely wonderful here. The blooms are almost opalescent -- pinker in cool weather. Completely clean here (which means no rust or mildew), this is a rather arching, open plant with great repeat bloom in my coastal conditions.

Grandmother's hat -- A great Southern California rose, useful as a bush, tall specimen plant, or espaliered as a climber. Great repeat. Fragrant, and terrific in a vase. BUT if you have blackspot problems, beware. She can be susceptible.

Irene watts -- The rose in commerce under this name is the Floribunda, 'Pink Gruss an Aachen' (a sport of 'Gruss an Aachen.') This is not to say she's not a great rose, but she is most surely not a China.

Jeri

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Mme Joseph Schwartz - very large plant, very fragrant, love it, no particular problems here in South zone 9.

Rosette Delizzy - nice, doesn't get too large, but susceptible to thrips in the blooms. I like it.

Franzeska Krueger - good rose, I like it a lot. Doesn't get too large. Nice fragrance.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Lady of Shalott is an Austin shrub--golden apricot bloom, very disease-resistant, something like 4x3 (or maybe a bit larger). Mine is only one season old, but I was tremendously excited about it last year and am looking forward to a more mature version this year.

Kate

• lenie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input im so excited to plant more roses I just started adding OGR last year got rid of most of my hybrid teas .i love David Austin roses too even they get some blackspot here so I want more OGR .

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    11 years ago

Is Gilbert Nabonnand also called G Nabonnand? I have 2 or 3, and they are beautiful.

Louise Odier is one of the most beautiful roses I ever had, but it really only bloomed once -- just like Gertrude Jeckyl.

I have 12 Souvenir de la Malmaison, but Kronprincessin does not like it here. It should, but I have tried about 3 now, and they don't look good.

Rosette Delizy is pretty, but seems a little frail. I need to fertilize it, and see what is wrong.

Gruss aun aachen was very pretty. I had about 3, but they needed spray to survive in my garden, and I don't spray, so they are gone.

Francisca Krueger seemed to have a problem, but I do not remember what it was.

I am just critical, and only have one success in your list. I live outside of Tulsa zone 7A. Maybe your zone 7 is different and you may not have the problems I have.

Good luck.
    Sammy

• sherryocala
    11 years ago

Franziska Krueger got veggie centers for me, consistently. Maybe you mean Lady Hillingdon. I have a new Rosette Delizy. My previous one was very prone to botrytis. Hopefully, this one won't be.

Have fun!!

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...