Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
duchesse_nalabama

Ghislaine de Feligonde

duchesse_nalabama
16 years ago

How do you grow this climber? How large is it for you? thank you for any information.

Comments (23)

• geo_7a
    16 years ago

Don't know for sure, but I'm looking forward to finding out. This one is going to be the centerpiece of my front yard, climbing up a jujube tree. I await with eager anticipation the varied hues of yellow, white, pink, orange, salmon & red.

This is one Longwood Gardens recommends as bearing fragrant, profuse flowers, especially in early summer.

Botanica indicates it grows up to 8' high.

• rjlinva
    16 years ago

Ghislaine de Feligonde is definitely one of my favorite roses. I am currently growing it on a rebar arch. I put one on each end of the arch, and the arch was covered in less than two seasons. Here's a picture of it almost in full bloom.

{{gwi:240092}}

• bbinpa
    16 years ago

I just posted a photo of mine in the thread wishing Krista a Happy Birthday. I guess it's about 5 feet.

Love this rose.
    Barbara

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

I'm looking forward to the bloom this spring---It doesn't get much sun but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

thanks for the picture Robert----

Florence

• duchesse_nalabama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for both pictures, Robert and Barbara. Mine is still small and partially on a lattice against a tree and partially arching the other way. The sizes you mentioned help me know what to do with training it.

Am interested to see what it does this year. Thank you! George, hope it does well for you.

Florence, I saw the pics of the baby Ghislaine you had last year - I hope you get some blooms this summer!

• cemeteryrose
    16 years ago

GdF was growing up a tree in a French garden that I visited. It was in just about every garden that I visited. Seemed to be a rather modest climber but those French keep their roses in bounds.
    {{gwi:240094}}
    {{gwi:240095}}

Anita

• duchesse_nalabama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, Anita - this is what I want mine to do. Mine is a loblolly pine tree, though, so there are no lower branches. I wish it were an apple tree instead! I'm going to try winding the branches around the tree trunk and let part arch off.

I've heard different things about its rebloom - is it spring flush and then minor fall bloom or does it eventually bloom throughout the summer? I had only a few scattered blooms last year but I didn't expect anything at all, so was pleased with what it did.

• sleepydrj
    16 years ago

I got a GdF last year, and I am realizing that the plant may not really be the same as in the photos here. The leaves are very small- maybe 1/2 inch to 1 inch. Serrated edges on the leaves. The blooms were about one inch diameter although I had only a couple on the tiny baby bush last year. My other tiny new bushes produced normal sized blooms when they gave flowers.

does this sound right for a Ghislaine de Feligonde?
    thanks

• neroseman
    16 years ago

I used to sing the praises of this rose, but not so much anymore. In my climate, it performs more like a shrubby Hybrid Musk only more difficult to train. And the color of the small flwrs, though attractive on opening, washes-out badly even in part shade. The scattered rebloom is a nice feature though.

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

I'm eagerly awaiting the blooms on this pretty rose. I had a few last year but should have a lot more this year if I can keep the deer away.

Florence

• sleepydrj
    15 years ago

HI,
    I"m bumping this one again:
    I got a GdF last year, and I am realizing that the plant may not really be the same as in the photos here. The leaves are very small- maybe 1/2 inch to 1 inch. Serrated edges on the leaves. The blooms were about one inch diameter although I had only a couple on the tiny baby bush last year. My other tiny new bushes produced normal sized blooms when they gave flowers.

does this sound right for a Ghislaine de Feligonde?
    thanks

• sergeantcuff
    15 years ago

sleepydri - your GdF sounds justs like mine.

Also, every cane I've tried to train has died so now its growing straight up unsupported. I'm trying to get it to at least lean on the lamp-post.

• palustris
    15 years ago

Here is a photo of a spray from a mature plant. The leaves, buds and flowers should all be usable for identification.

{{gwi:240096}}

• sleepydrj
    15 years ago

Palustris
    Thanks for the gorgeous photo. Mine has not opened yet, but I don't think it is quite right. Reminiscent, but not the same. The somewhat awkward habit of the canes near the ground seem like mine, and the leaves are ridged. But everything seems rather miniature about mine. My buds are no bigger than 0.5 inch and the diameter of the couple of flowers I saw last year were very small too.

How big are the flowers in your photo? It's hard to see anything to set the scale.

I can sure see why I wanted this rose.... hopefully it will turn out to be the right one.

• duchesse_nalabama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sleepydrj, because mine is young, maybe these pics will help. The buds are very small, about 1/2 inch as well. The few blossoms I got last year were also small in size; I hope it grows into what Palustris posted.

{{gwi:240098}}

{{gwi:240100}}

• sleepydrj
    15 years ago

Thanks Duchesse,
    Your leaves are clearly much larger than mine. Will try to post some photos for identification this week.

Looks like yours is growing well in a shaded area- good luck with lots of blooms!

• luanne
    15 years ago

Wowee Palustris, that is stunning.
    {{gwi:240101}}
    {{gwi:240102}}
    Mine is bent over at about 5 feet or it would be 9-10.
    la

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

These are the few small blooms I had last year on a very young plant---I sure hope it grows up to like Luanne's

Duchesse--It looks quite shady where yours is growing so that gives me hope.
    {{gwi:240103}}

Florence

• duchesse_nalabama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Florence, I've wondered if our yards aren't similar. Most of my roses get a good dose of morning sun and then some amount of filtered in the pm. All of my strong sun is in the front and I don't yet have enough courage to plow up the grass. Soon maybe.

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

Duchesse-----Most of my roses are in partial sun---I tried planting roses in the section that once was DH veggie garden but became to shady for tomatoes----the roses are struggling there---that is where Ghislane de felegonde is located---I sure would love to move her out to the sunny area.

My front yard was always much too shady but a couple of weeks ago we had three trees taken down----Now I have a whole big area with lots of great sun.

If I ever recover from this hip surgery I will try to start another garden but as it is now I can barely take care of the roses I already have.

I have to be sensible-----darn it !!!!I just need a full-time gardener---LOL---I guess I should take a page out of the Lady Chatterly's lover book---LOL LOL As a matter of fact I never did read that book so I better be careful what I say----LOL

Florence

• duchesse_nalabama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Florence, this is one of the drawbacks of getting to know rose people over the computer; I can't just pop over and help out for a morning.

How is the recovery going? Hope you're able soon to do more of what you love. Are you painting?

• Ninkasi
    8 years ago

Bumping this thread---

I don't hear much about this rose, does anyone have one? It looks lovely, how trainable are the canes? Very thorny? Any thoughts, good or bad?

Thanks all!