Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hcarnevale

Mme Alfred Carriere in Zone 5?

hcarnevale
10 years ago

Every website has MAC hardy to zone 6. I was wondering if anyone has tried her in Zone 5? I am very tempted, but want to know if it is a complete waste of my time and money. Any info would be appreciated.

Heather

Comments (9)

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

HMF (which is not trying to sell roses) lists MAC's coldest zone as 7b. MAC is a tea noisette, and thus likes warm climates. If it were me, I would try to find a cold hardy rose which would actually like your climate, instead of trying one that most likely won't.

Jackie

• cath41
    10 years ago

MAC's appears to have survived its first winter here but it is still very early and hard to be certain. The newer roses seem to have all lost wood at the ends of their still small canes. This has been a more difficult winter than recent ones, for example, my Daphne odora marginata has lost all its leaves for the first time. Since the stems are still supple, there is hope. In short, although MAC may be a stretch in your climate, it may be worth a shot. I recommend protecting it in winter the first few years for best results.

Cath

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

Yes, I have known several people who have tried it in zone 5.

No, I don't know anybody who has truly succeeded. Sometimes it would survive for a while, but never remotely thrive.

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

If you feel experimental, you might give it a shot and succeed to some degree. However, and I say this with great empathy because I adore Madame, I don't believe she'll ever be truly happy and she'll probably just get your hopes up and then croak on you. I never want to discourage someone who feels experimental, but I also wish to save you the agony of abandonment. Rose relationships can be so emotional when we're in love. Carol

• Krista_5NY
    10 years ago

I'm in zone 5. It's a great rose in my garden setting. Mine is six feet tall, it's four years old. This year it will have more dieback than usual due to the very cold winter. I grow a few Noisettes, and while they don't grow as large as they do in a warm zone, they tolerate winter well.

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Wow, Krista! You must be an amazing gardener. Your success is encouraging news for Heather. Are your noisettes in a walled garden? Which ones do you grow? Carol

• zaphod42
    10 years ago

I had this rose for a couple years. Hardiness wasn't a problem. It was the blackspot. Shovel-pruned it last spring.

• belmont8
    10 years ago

I've seen one in Zone 5 that was several years old and about 8 feet tall. Not as tall as the one I know in Zone 9 of course. I'm going to try it for myself eventually here in my Zone 5-ish.

• Krista_5NY
    10 years ago

I grow Tutta's Pink Noisette, Blush Noisette and Mme Alfred Carriere. It's not a walled garden.

Tutta's Pink Noisette is close to a garage, but I think it would do just as well in another spot away from the garage.

Tutta's Pink is 6 feet tall, and Blush Noisette is 3 1/2 feet tall.