Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT: campanula for our very own Campanula

Posted by JoshTx 8a (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 16:51

Camp,

I stopped by the nursery today since spring is beginning to, well, spring! And as I walked to the register to pay for my herbs I saw this and had to snap a photo for you!

Josh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT: campanula for our very own Campanula

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 17:55

Oh aren't they lovely! I have several types of campanulas and they're all beautiful!

o

• Posted by AquaEyes 7 New Brunswick, NJ (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 17:56

That's Campanula medium. The Campanula here is much greater.

;-)

~Christopher

o

Blimey, it certainly is roaring into spring........I might get a few tiny creeping bellflowers in a few weeks but not a sniff of one of the taller ones for weeks and weeks yet..........although woohoo! things are getting interesting,

o

Waaah! I've tried so many campanulas, so many times...they all just burn up or rot.

That's beautiful!

o

• Posted by catspa NoCA Z9 Sunset 14 (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 22:30

Genus Campanula doesn't seem to like Livermore much (or maybe it's the way I treat them) though a variety of species, short and tall, grew well in Massachusetts. I have to "get by" (though it's not such a burden) with another genus in the family, Adenophora. Adenophora potaninii grows and blooms wonderfully here through the heat of summer in indifferent soil, several flushes a season.

Love that photo, Josh -- it definitely conveys "Spring!".

o

Canterbury Bells (Campanula medium) is a favorite of mine, and a challenge to grow in this hot, dry climate. I love both the pink and purplish blue. If a customer at this Texas nursery buys the pictured blooming Canterbury Bells as a perennial and expects the plant to come back again next year, that person will be out of luck because Campanula medium is a biennial. I grew them from seed which meant waiting a year for blooms, and I just don't have the patience anymore. There is also a cup and saucer form, which I don't care for, but it seems to be a little easier to get around here. I've finally settled on good, old Blue Clips Campanula (carpatica). This stuff is tough as nails, laughs at heat, blooms all summer, if you shear it a little, and loves the sun, no matter what the little plastic tag says. I grow it in the hottest part of my garden. Here's a pic of one clump. Diane

o

I've tried rotundifolia, carpatica, persifolia, "Canterbury Bells", even the so-called rampant rampunculoides (sp?), both from seed & established plants. I could keep a couple as winter annuals, but they'd die when hot weather came (coastal zone 8).

My uncles, who could grow Popsicle sticks, did have Canterbury Bells every year. They lived in a TX zone 8 area that had wonderful deep sand & good rain--but it wasn't on the coast.

o

Poscharskyana has done well in shade here. Persicifolia, pyramidalis, and incurva seem to be doing alright in dappled shade, though no flowers yet from any of these three that I can recall.

Jay

o

• Posted by AquaEyes 7 New Brunswick, NJ (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 0:02

I have some Campanula plants coming next month.....

'Bavarian Blue'

'Birch Hybrid'

'Dickson's Gold'

'Joan Elliott'

'Kent Belle'

and already have seeds for:

'Blue Clips'

'Telham Beauty'

I know that 'Joan Elliott' and 'Kent Belle' can be somewhat thuggish, so they'll be planted where they can duke it out with the Gallicas. The lower-growing ones will be used (along with other low-growing blue-flowered plants) to alternate with Dianthus and various Sedums, planted to spill over the log edging at the front of the beds. And 'Telham Beauty' will go wherever I think a spot could use it -- which translates to "I don't know yet."

:-)

~Christopher

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here