Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Belle Portugaise

jacqueline9CA
10 years ago

Also blooming all over around here right now is Belle Portugaise. In my opinion its blooms are the most elegant of any I have ever seen.

Jackie

Comments (14)

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

I agree. It is so elegant. Thanks for the photo.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

If it didn't bloom only once I suspect everyone would grow it where the climate is warm enough for it. Lovely picture.

• nikthegreek
    10 years ago

I'm with you on this, Camps.
    Nik

• User
    10 years ago

I certainly would, if I could.

You know, Ingrid, I never hear people saying they won't grow lilac, philadelphus, osmanthus, deutzia.....because they only flower once. I fail to see why once flowering roses get such bad press when they bloom as long, or longer, than the majority of other flowering shrubs and perennials. Its a mystery......and most of them have fabulous heps as well.

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Spot on, Campanula! Carol

• User
    10 years ago

I am not pointing mean fingers at you - you know that, I hope, Ingrid.....its 'other people'....those who are only marginally crazy....not us.....obviously.

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

Oh I just love Belle! Tried to grow her here but finally admitted that she needs more room than I had. The big canes need room or someone who is strong to tie them in and they do not flex much as they are thick and straight. But the flowers are so wonderful and they have a pearly shine. Descanso and La Arboretum grow them on large structures up in the air. You need lots of room for Belle to stretch out her pretty wings.

Thanks for the picture of Beautiful Belle

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I agree about needing space. Also, unlike most other climbers I have grown, it seems to need to grow straight up 10-15 feet or so before it will bloom. The 4 specimens I can think of around here, including mine, have tall large canes without any flowers growing UP. When they get as high as they think necessary, they burst out into a more normal shape with lots of canes, and lots of blooms. Mine grew UP for 5 years before it bloomed. I have tried to train it horizontally, and it does the same thing. Stubborn. Here is a pic of mine I just took 5 minutes ago, showing the entire bush. The rose greenery below it on the house and on the chimney is not Belle - those are Mdme Caroline Testout and Anna Olivier, which have not started to bloom yet.

Jackie

• cemeteryrose
    10 years ago

Interesting observation about the growth habit, Jackie. We lost the Belle that we planted along the Broadway fence and I am planning to plant another one this weekend. If it needs to grow the way that you described, it may not be happy there. I love this rose so much that I really want it in the cemetery. Hope it works out.
    Anita

• User
    10 years ago

mmmm, BP is the So-Cal Kiftsgate or Bobbie James - huge tree climbing rampageous glories.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last picture - more blooms opened yesterday, and I couldn't resist.

Jackie

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

camp, you don't have a mean finger to point (and your fingers are mostly in the dirt anyway) and what you say is reasonable and true. In part I feel the way I do because I have such a long season for things to bloom, whereas in your case the ratio of a once-bloomer to the length of the blooming period is different. The other part is simply personal preference, which is what I meant to voice here. Even my irises are remontant, and have bloomed in July, October, November, January and now for that matter. My pelargoniums are the same way. They never really stop blooming for any length of time. What can I say, I'm a color hog. In spite of a fairly large property I garden on only a small part of it because of the water needed, and have no place for huge and gorgeous climbers as Jackie does. The background hills are fairly monotone, and I love coming up the driveway to round a corner and suddenly come upon a wealth of (admittedly not loud) color. It gives me a thrill every time, and I never, ever tire of it. I can't grow the European once-bloomers which to me are more beautiful and dramatic in their blooms than any tea or china, so I have to in some ways substitute quantity for quality. (Please, don't anyone comment about that last sentence, I love the roses I can grow.)

Ingrid

• zeffyrose
    10 years ago

Jackie----thank you for the pictures of your gorgeous rose---

You cheered me up !

Florence