Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boncrow66

Finally made it to Chamblees!

boncrow66
10 years ago

After a minor delay, unexpected surgery last week, I finally made it to Chamblees rose nursery today! I want to thank everyone on the forum who offered advice and suggestions, it made it easy to decide what I wanted. Chamblees can be overwhelming if your not sure what you what when you get there. So without further ado here is what made it home with me today:

Evelyn
Golden celebration
Cl pinkie (3)
Don Juan (pink) in a 45 gallon pot, special gift from my hubbie for our anniversary :)
Souvenir de la Malmaison
Red dream (from the bargain area)

Needless to say I am giddy with excitement and can't wait to get everything planted. All the roses have tons of buds so now I am going to be looking forward to smelling them for the first time. I had planned on buying Abe Darby but he wasn't available for sell today so I chose Evelyn, I think ngoijg to love her :). Thanks to everyone who answered my questions and offered advice.

Bonnie :)

Comments (8)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

How exciting! Wonderful choices. We do expect pics later when they bloom, you know!

Kate

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don Juan is loaded with blooms ready to pop open so I will be posting pics soon :)

• Delphinium zone5
    10 years ago

How exciting! Can't wait to see some pics! Make sure to show us some garden shots too! I'm a newbie as well and can't wait for my roses to leaf out.

Terri

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

I love gardeners! Surgery is "a minor delay" in our earthy endveavors. That's the spirit, Boncrow66! You've chosen some of my favs: Golden Celebration, Don Juan and Souvenir de la Malmaison. Full, richly or delicately colored blooms (charming in combo) and all VERY fragrant to my nose. And Evelyn has an absolutely yummy scent, too! (I know. Duh, right?) Please keep us updated. I live to join in other's gardening adventures. It prevents me from driving all my friends and family crazy with my obsession...sort of. Carol

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will share photos soon. I don't know if you could call it a garden , all my roses are going to be planted around my deck and arbor. We just built a huge deck that wraps around the half the house and is also very tall and at the corner of the deck is a huge arbor. The arbor is where all the climbers will be going and I am putting Evelyn and SDLM aka Sally, together on a side of the deck where they will be in view of wherever I am sitting at the time. I know it may not make sense but I'll post a pic when everything is planted. In my head it looks marvelous lol! Part of the reason I picked roses that got very tall like GC and Evelyn were due to the deck being so tall. And girls I'm from Texas so you know the saying.... Everything is big in Texas! The only downfall is I can't lift anything yet, still recovering, so I will have to supervise the planting, ugh. I would rather do it myself. By the way, I have nicknamed SDLM, Sally, her name is a mouthful lol.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

Hope your surgery was minor and you are well soon! Congrats on getting some lovely roses! I am itching to go back to Chamblees. How did the sale area roses look? They had gotten bitten by the loads of ice that descended on Tyler some weeks ago - I am 2 hours south - we got 28 degrees for a few days but no ice. Was wondering if these sale roses were starting to put out - I always love looking at the sale area - such great deals! I only got 5 when I went a couple of weeks ago - one was a small 1 gallon South Africa, that I had been wanting for a couple of years. No buds or new growth when I got it...all of a sudden, it has erupted in buds and new leaves! I can only imagine what the greenhouse roses at Chamblees look like now! Glad you had fun and got some great roses!

Judith

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Judith, I am recovering well and hope to be back to work soon. I saw the South Afrca and one was blooming, that is a gorgeous and is on my list for next time. All the roses looked very healthy and were blooming in the main areas. The plants in the bargain area looked healthy but nothing was blooming yet. I saw several DA's, mostly pink and some even in sale for $2.50! I had already enough of pink so I decided to get something red and the girl helping me suggested a Bucks Red Dream. They also had some very healthy looking Heirlooms and I am wishing now I would have grabbed one of them as well. I have a Heirloom that I got a few years ago and had him in a pot and he didn't do so well so I had my hubbie put him in the ground this morning with Evelyn and SDLM, I am hoping he likes his new home. It's a 3 hour drive for me to Chamblees so I probably won't be going for awhile. I am going to check local nurseries in my area for antique roses. I know no one in my area sells DA which is the main reason I went to Chamblees. I need to find something closer if this is going to be my new addiction :).

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Judith, I am recovering well and hope to be back to work soon. I saw the South Afrca and one was blooming, that is a gorgeous and is on my list for next time. All the roses looked very healthy and were blooming in the main areas. The plants in the bargain area looked healthy but nothing was blooming yet. I saw several DA's, mostly pink and some even in sale for $2.50! I had already enough of pink so I decided to get something red and the girl helping me suggested a Bucks Red Dream. They also had some very healthy looking Heirlooms and I am wishing now I would have grabbed one of them as well. I have a Heirloom that I got a few years ago and had him in a pot and he didn't do so well so I had my hubbie put him in the ground this morning with Evelyn and SDLM, I am hoping he likes his new home. It's a 3 hour drive for me to Chamblees so I probably won't be going for awhile. I am going to check local nurseries in my area for antique roses. I know no one in my area sells DA which is the main reason I went to Chamblees. I need to find something closer if this is going to be my new addiction :).