Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerseyearth

Anyone heard of the 'Crimson King' Rosa Rugosa?

Hey all from storm tossed Jersey..

I often like to buy bare root roses at cheap stores (not high grade, I know) because they often have old roses, own root grown roses, and roses not easily found.

I came across something called Crimson King rose hedge in the Rosa rugosa family. Cannot find hardly a stitch of info on it...

UNLESS, I was tricked into buying an ordinary rosa rugosa (which is entirely possible!) :-)

I like the rosa rugosa cultivars, but this one I've never seen. Picture shows red rugosa-type rose with a bright center.

I also bought a "Curly Pink" Brownell sub zero rose which I think might be a bomb according to reviews..

All thoughts much appreciated. Thanks. Pat

Comments (15)

• TNY78
    11 years ago

I actually commented about it on another post a few weeks ago when I bought one ownroot from Big Lots (I think it was Seils thread "This is what happens"). It was in one of those paper box containers mixed in with boxed hydrangeas and wisteria and just said Crimson King Shrub Rose. I decided to take a chance, but since repotting it, all of the new growth as died. I cut it back some, so we'll see if it survives... Even if it is plain old R. Rugosa, I'm ok with it since I don't have it :)

Tammy

This is what the box looked like that mine came in:
    {{gwi:240488}}

This post was edited by TNY78 on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 19:57

• professorroush
    11 years ago

Never heard of it. It's not in Suzy Verrier's Rosa Rugosa book either. My best bet, if it's truly a Rugosa, is that somebody renamed 'Linda Campbell' or 'Robusta' and started selling them. They're about as crimson as the rugosa's get.

• catsrose
    11 years ago

The only Crimson King on HMF is a Kordes Hybrid Tea. My guess is that it's just R. Rugosa

• jerseyearth Zone 6NJ
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tammy, I just found that run of posts on "body bag" roses. ;-)

Out here on the Jersey Shore, I cut back the rose, planted it, and mulched it with a lot of leaves. Roses start popping around this time here..I gave it a chance in the ground.. not outdoors.

Thanks also to @professorroush.. ha haa.. they just rename the thing? I guess they can cause the patent has run out! :-D. I'll see what happens. The leaves are very small, with serrated edges.. but, not rugged like Rugosa. I don't really care what it is.. as long as it grows like crazy.. maybe it will be a pleasant surprise!
    Pat

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    11 years ago

I've seen some rather bizarre things labelled 'rosa rugosa' locally. Things like Westerland. It seems to have slipped into some odd corner of the horticultural world as a synonym for hardy, disease resistant shrub rose. If the leaves and canes don't look typically rugosa, I'd assume it was something else.

• jerseyearth Zone 6NJ
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mad_ gallica, it's interesting. These leaves are small and serrated.. almost like a wild multiflora..so, I'm kind of excited to see what it actually is. I like the idea of the "body bags" cause a lot of times one gets old cultivars that surprise us!

Never spent 6.99 more happily! :-)

pat

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Mine may have been different because the one I bought defintely had rugosa leaves. Very rough, green, and the new growth was coming from the tips of the canes. Also the thorns were rugosa like. We'll have to post pictures to see if we have the same cultivator :)

Tammy

• jerseyearth Zone 6NJ
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey all.

Sorry for the ripped pic scan, but this was on the box of the so called "Crimson King" Rugosa. It's a close up of the flowers. I know some of you know your Rugosas, so, take a stab at it! Kind of has a nice, bright eye amidst the red. I like it.. whatever it is! :-)
    Thanks! Pat

• mcfaunm
    6 years ago

I purchased the same exact thing at Job Lots for a $1.00, figured what the heck throw it under a grow light and see what happens??? I have only been gardening for three years so I am a Newbie. I was searching to see if there was any information on growing indoors with a grow light or if I could plant in the ground, which I believe won’t work because I live in Boston... It’s December with snow on the ground.. If anyone could answer my questions or provide any information on the true name, it would be greatly appreciated. Throw it out or give it a try?

• portlandmysteryrose
    6 years ago

That's no Rosa rugosa! It looks like something along the lines of an Oso Easy Paprika, perhaps? Or some other new shrub/landscaping rose. Big box stores are Oso free and easy with their labeling. I've even seen Lowe's offer a red "Lady Banks." Not so much. Whatever it is, enjoy your pretty mystery rose! :-) Carol

• palustris68
    6 years ago

The name 'Crimson King' was registered to Kordes in 1943. It is a deep red very double Hybrid Tea.

• portlandmysteryrose
    6 years ago

Good call, Embothrium! I'll bet it's Rainbow Knockout. Carol

• Lisa Cates
    2 years ago

I just want to say that i came here because I, too, bought these random crimson king roses and couldn't figure them out. But, they DO match the exact description of rainbow knocnouts, so thank you for that excellent info.

• Charice Cleckley
    last year

Did the roses grow well?