Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone heard of the 'Crimson King' Rosa Rugosa?

Posted by jerseyearth z6NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 17:16

Hey all from storm tossed Jersey..

I often like to buy bare root roses at cheap stores (not high grade, I know) because they often have old roses, own root grown roses, and roses not easily found.

I came across something called Crimson King rose hedge in the Rosa rugosa family. Cannot find hardly a stitch of info on it...

UNLESS, I was tricked into buying an ordinary rosa rugosa (which is entirely possible!) :-)

I like the rosa rugosa cultivars, but this one I've never seen. Picture shows red rugosa-type rose with a bright center.

I also bought a "Curly Pink" Brownell sub zero rose which I think might be a bomb according to reviews..

All thoughts much appreciated. Thanks. Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone heard of the 'Crimson King' Rosa Rugosa?

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 19:51

I actually commented about it on another post a few weeks ago when I bought one ownroot from Big Lots (I think it was Seils thread "This is what happens"). It was in one of those paper box containers mixed in with boxed hydrangeas and wisteria and just said Crimson King Shrub Rose. I decided to take a chance, but since repotting it, all of the new growth as died. I cut it back some, so we'll see if it survives... Even if it is plain old R. Rugosa, I'm ok with it since I don't have it :)

Tammy

This is what the box looked like that mine came in:
 photo GG20Crimson20King20Hedge20Pack20Front1_zps7750b859.jpg

This post was edited by TNY78 on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 19:57

o

Never heard of it. It's not in Suzy Verrier's Rosa Rugosa book either. My best bet, if it's truly a Rugosa, is that somebody renamed 'Linda Campbell' or 'Robusta' and started selling them. They're about as crimson as the rugosa's get.

o

The only Crimson King on HMF is a Kordes Hybrid Tea. My guess is that it's just R. Rugosa

o

Tammy, I just found that run of posts on "body bag" roses. ;-)

Out here on the Jersey Shore, I cut back the rose, planted it, and mulched it with a lot of leaves. Roses start popping around this time here..I gave it a chance in the ground.. not outdoors.

Thanks also to @professorroush.. ha haa.. they just rename the thing? I guess they can cause the patent has run out! :-D. I'll see what happens. The leaves are very small, with serrated edges.. but, not rugged like Rugosa. I don't really care what it is.. as long as it grows like crazy.. maybe it will be a pleasant surprise!
Pat

o

I've seen some rather bizarre things labelled 'rosa rugosa' locally. Things like Westerland. It seems to have slipped into some odd corner of the horticultural world as a synonym for hardy, disease resistant shrub rose. If the leaves and canes don't look typically rugosa, I'd assume it was something else.

o

Mad_ gallica, it's interesting. These leaves are small and serrated.. almost like a wild multiflora..so, I'm kind of excited to see what it actually is. I like the idea of the "body bags" cause a lot of times one gets old cultivars that surprise us!

Never spent 6.99 more happily! :-)

pat

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 15:52

Mine may have been different because the one I bought defintely had rugosa leaves. Very rough, green, and the new growth was coming from the tips of the canes. Also the thorns were rugosa like. We'll have to post pictures to see if we have the same cultivator :)

Tammy

o

Hey all.

Sorry for the ripped pic scan, but this was on the box of the so called "Crimson King" Rugosa. It's a close up of the flowers. I know some of you know your Rugosas, so, take a stab at it! Kind of has a nice, bright eye amidst the red. I like it.. whatever it is! :-)
Thanks! Pat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here