Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Anyone Ever Heard of Scottsville Rose??

I bought this rose last year at the Stephen F. Austin spring plant sale. They have lots of unusual plants and some are passalong plants that have been cultivated. They told me it was a once bloomer - don't know what color it is, but it is healthy, looks like a climber or a rambler. It has one tiny bud on it so cant wait to see what it looks like! I was also told it was one of the oldest roses in Texas.....but I cant find out any information on it so thought I would see if anyone has ever heard of it. I will post photos when it blooms [which may be awhile, given our late spring and still chilly weather!]

Judith

Comments (8)

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    10 years ago

A Google search for "found rose "Scottsville Rose" " brought up a pdf file titled "Babies in the SFA Plant Sale" written by Greg Grant on the Texas Rose Rustler's website. The following is the entry for this rose:

Rosa x gallica âÂÂScottsvilleâ (Scottsville Rose): Collected from the oldest rose in Texas, planted in 1834 in the old Scottsville Community east of Marshall. A once bloomer old European type with very double magenta flowers.

Hopefully someone who has actually seen or grown this rose will chime in with more information. It does look like there were some interesting plants at that sale. I've never been to a plant sale there yet, but I do hope to make it to one some day.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greg Grant's Babies in the SFA Plant Sale pdf

This post was edited by plantloverkat on Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 19:18

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Wow, what a find! Great info, Plantloverkat. Judith, please do post pics of your wonderful piece of history when it blooms. Love those Rose Rustlers! Carol

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for finding that info on the Scottsville Rose! I'd had no luck finding it in my search, and knew I recalled something about it being the oldest rose in Texas.....

They really have some good things in that sale - Greg Grant [whose brother is my horse veterinarian - talented family!] is always coming up with some new and interesting plants. I have a Pink Marechal Niel [hope to see it bloom this year] and a climbing sport of Belinda's Dream, now called Farmer's Dream. Hope it blooms this year - Greg thinks its a once bloomer only, but foliage is really healthy looking. This year they are offering Fragrant Snowflake Rose, a single of the white banksia double one, Queenie rose - a rambler [wichuraiana], Thousand Beauties Rose [Tausendschon], Big Momma's Blush Tea Rose and Satin Cream Tea Rose - cant wait to get my hands on every one of them! I will post photos of them as soon as they bloom. If any of you all are within driving distance of the sale - April 5 - you REALLY should try to make it. Its really a hoot - they make you stand back of a long plastic ribbon until the exact stroke of 9am....there is a blue grass band from the college that starts playing Foggy Mountain Breakdown when the sale starts - the announcer begs everyone not to run over the helpers [people tend to stampede, its like the Oklahoma land rush], there are hundreds of people, all dragging various contraptions to haul plants in - rain or shine, there is a huge turnout. I wouldn't miss it for anything! I pore over my list for days, then print it out. I have 2 hard core plant friends that come with me - I load my golf cart up and bring it with me - I can haul more stuff on it and its a really long walk to get from the parking area to the plant sale. We have this wagon we pull behind the golf cart. We usually go the day before and find out where everything is that we want - we are always there early to get up at the front of the line. This is one of my absolute must do things of the year - they have one in fall too.

Plus.....the Mize Azalea Garden, when in full bloom [who knows when that is going to be this year!] is unbelievable! Then in fall, the Japanese Maples are a sight to behold. I have some good photos somewhere of both seasons that I will try to find and post.

I wonder if anyone has this Scottsville Rose, never heard it mentioned. Once mine gets going, I would be happy to share cuttings with anyone that wants them - same with the other roses.
    Judith

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Oh, Judith. I might take you up on that offer when your roses mature. The cuttings would be a little transplanted piece of my home state, a souvenir of the Rustler's adventures, and something from a fellow forum member. Carol

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It would be my pleasure - and anything else I have that you might want. Have a large pot ghetto made up of a lot of Vintage roses I am trying to grow to maturity. With them going out of business, it is important to me to maintain as many rare ones as I can. Scottsville is growing well - I will bet by fall it will have enough growth to take cuttings - I am not good at that and don't really know when the best time is to take them........I may pick up 2 of each of the SFA sale plants just to have them, they aren't expensive - so will have plenty of budwood to share.

Judith

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    10 years ago

Judith, I also had trouble finding information about Scottsville Rose until I added the word "found" to the search.

Thanks so much for pointing out that the SFA spring sale is just next week. Maybe I can finally make it to one of these sales...... the Fragrant Snowflake Rose sounds intriguing to me. I'd love to see the gardens as well. I think Japanese maples are also delightful when they are just leafing out, and some have beautiful colors then, although not as spectacular as they can be in the fall.

This post was edited by plantloverkat on Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 9:17

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Thank you, Judith. And thank you for collecting and preserving Vintage roses. Have fun at the sale! Carol