Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengrown

Isabella Sprunt Info Please

gardengrown
12 years ago

Thinking about ordering this rose because of the name (isabella) after my granddaughter and the lovely pics on HMF. Please give me your thoughts about the growth habits and bloom info. (I really like my Madame Antoine Mari and wonder if Isabella Sprunt growth/bloom habit are similar.) Thanks for any information. Linda

Comments (8)

• windeaux
    12 years ago

'Isabella Sprunt' is the first Tea I planted when I began gardening in the South. Like you, I selected her for a sentimental reason: 'Isabella Sprunt' first sported from 'Safrano' about 160 years ago in a small NC town very near where I now live. Gardeners here consider Isabella to be a native daughter who traveled around the world, and who continues to have considerable success and recognition all these many years later.

My mature plant is about 5 ft tall and equally as wide. I prune it only enough to keep it looking neat. In your growing conditions, expect Isabella's best blooms during the late fall and winter months. She's productive even during periods of high heat, but summer blooms tend to be small, paler in color, and seem to me to have fewer petals.

Characteristics of Isabella that I especially appreciate are: (1) It has almost no disease issues in my garden; (2) it's one of the few roses that root easily for me; and (3) it tends to be 'self-cleaning' -- important because it's a heavy bloomer and because dead-heading is about my least favorite activity.

• cath41
    12 years ago

HMF has Isabella Sprunt as Z5b but Safrano as Z7b. If Isabella is a sport of Safrano how can that be?

Cath

• harborrose_pnw
    12 years ago

Cath,
    I posted an almost identical question on hmf about Ophelia and Madame Butterfly, its color sport. Ophelia is rated from 5b but MB is rated from 7b. I was told that 7b is a standard setting and the 5b rating was given to Ophelia based on the gardens growing it. Also, that there should be no differences in hardiness between a rose and its sport.

I occasionally find oddities on hmf, which they are very helpful in either clearing up my confusion or on occasion, correcting what is a typographical or other error. I would post the question there and see what response is given. I think they appreciate the feedback and questions. Most of the questions like that I ask get some kind of response and occasionally a change in the description.

• melissa_thefarm
    12 years ago

I like 'Isabella Sprunt' a lot. It's identical to its sport parent 'Safrano' (also a beautiful rose) except for the color, which is a lovely pale lemon yellow with no pink in it. I really like that, as I don't care for yellow roses wearing lipstick. The spreading, branching, twiggy habit and elegant dark foliage are similar to those of 'Mme. Antoine Mari', which is another favorite rose of mine: in my experience IS's flowers are less full than MAM's, but that may reflect culture. All three of these roses are vigorous and easy; all three get some mildew, especially 'Safrano' and 'Isabella Sprunt', but I can live with that. Altogether a dream of a rose.
    Melissa

• cweathersby
    12 years ago

I've got this one - and just bought 6 more because I found them in Chamblee's sale section when I visited a few weeks ago.
    It's one of my favorites, along with Safrano. In my garden Safrano is bigger, maybe 7 x 8, and Isabella is maybe 6 x 6. They are both covered in blooms all spring, summer, and fall, even in the hot months. I like the scent and I like the color. The blooms don't have any of the weird traits that tea roses sometimes have, like veggie centers or weird freckling if we have any humidity, or any of the balling that happens with the teas with a whole lot of petals. They are both healthy no spray and withstood last summer's drought very well.

• cath41
    12 years ago

Thank you Harborrose for your suggestion. I gave it a go but since my computer skills are limited and I did not see a send button, I'm not sure the question made it from here to there.

Cath

• jaspermplants
    12 years ago

I don't have Isabella Sprunt but have Safrano and love it. Blooms are to die for, very healthy. I highly recommend it for our hot,dry climate.

• gardengrown
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to all for all the information. It is greatly appreciated. (I've ordered 3 from ARE - can hardly wait for their arrival!)