Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

She never once put a foot wrong

User
10 years ago

in almost 17 years....even stealing the Christmas meat (twice) seemed more of an amusing escapade than a annoyance (especially after a dunk under the tap and cutting off the chewed bits - no-one was any wiser).....but now she is gone. Lila, my lovely, gentle, brilliant collie. We are taking her to the woods tomorrow, to bury her and will be looking for a special tree over the summer. Heartbroken.

Comments (24)

• growing_rene2
    10 years ago

I am so very sorry for your loss. When we lose such perfect companions and members of the family, words are never enough to describe the loss or wishes of comfort. I am glad you were blessed with Lila and the joy she brought to you and your home.

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

I am so sorry, camp; our pets are such good friends, and it is so hard to lose an important chapter of our lives. I'll bet she had much love and fun in her life, and was lucky to have you.

• joshtx
    10 years ago

I'm sorry Camp. I wish you and your family all the best.

Josh

• thonotorose
    10 years ago

We know of the blessings you have received from your friend. Our dogs bless us every day and we are grateful for their hearts.

• cemeteryrose
    10 years ago

So glad you have the lovely woods where she can be near you always. It's never long enough. My heart aches for your loss.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

I am so sorry, Camp. It's so hard to lose a special dog. I lost my Sadie three years ago, and she can never be replaced. She is buried in our woods, just as your Lila will be. My thoughts are with you.

• cath41
    10 years ago

Everyone else said it so much better and tears don't help the typing. May you remember with joy the years you have had with her.

Cath

• nikthegreek
    10 years ago

Oh Camps, you know I know how you feel. Still, 17 years has been a very long life. I'm sure it has been a happy life also. Collies are such bright and loving dogs. Hope she left calm and content.
    Nik

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

I'm sad for you too and I'm glad she will be near to you in the woods. Wonderful pure spirits that give us so very much. They transform our lives and bring out our humanity. Whoever can do that in such a few years? It's a miracle really and worth honoring. We are lucky to be loved by them and we hurt when they leave.

• bart_2010
    10 years ago

I am so, so sorry, too.My beloved cats both died several years ago, around age 16, both of them. I still miss them, and always, always will. It is very hard....bart

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    10 years ago

So sorry to hear of this loss in your family. It's a comfort, I'm sure, that Lila will forever be part of your woods and in your memories she will always live.

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

I'm sorry Camp. I know how hard it is to lose a beloved pet.

• sally2_gw
    10 years ago

I primarily lurk here more than post, because I have a lot more to learn from you than to contribute, but I want to extend my sympathies to you. It sounds like you have a perfect resting place for Lila. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Sally

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

So sorry. It hurts like h-ll. Lost Teddy in 2008 at 16, Hoover 2011 at 17?, Cuddles 2012 at 16. It hurts and always will. Only relief is a new one.
    {{gwi:240711}}

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear this, Campanula. We grow so close to our dogs or cats that the parting of our paths is hard to take.

Wishing you only happy memories as time goes on.

Rosefolly

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry, Camps. But I'm glad for Lila, that she spent her life with someone who loved & treasured her.

Hope you can take comfort in the joy you shared & the love & security you provided another soul through her entire time here.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Oh, Camp, I'm so sorry for your loss. They really do become family members. Warm hugs to you and yours.

• toolbelt68
    10 years ago

There is a bridge connecting heaven and Earth. It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors. Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows, hills and valleys with lush green grass.

When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water and warm spring weather. The old and frail animals are young again. Those who are maimed are made whole again. They play all day with each other.

There is only on thing missing. They are not with their special person who loved them on Earth. So, each day they run and play until the day comes when one suddenly stops playing and looks up! The nose twitches! The ears are up! The eyes are staring! And this one suddenly runs from the group!

You have been seen, and when you and your special friend meet, you take him or her in your arms and embrace. Your face is kissed again and again and again, and you look once more into the eyes of your trusting pet.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated.

Author Unknown

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

It's one of the hardest things to lose that great a love, and my heart goes out to you and your family, Suzy. No one can take away that pain, but I hope that sharing it with people who care is of some comfort to you.

Ingrid

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

This old cartoon always gets me. I hope it's true

Here is a link that might be useful: Bobbie & Rex cartoon

• jeannie2009
    10 years ago

Camp, Blessings coming your way. I don't have the right words to comfort you at this time, but know that she loved and cherished you more than you know.
    Take care.
    Jeannie

• aegis1000
    10 years ago

So sorry to hear of Lila's passing.

She. obviously, will hold a permanent spot in your heart ...

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dear friends , we were so lucky to be able to bury Lila on a glorious day with wood anemones and narcissi in bloom, a continuous trilling of many birds (including insane squawks from numerous lustful cock-pheasants). My eldest wrote and read a lovely poem, we cried, we hugged, then everyone under 40 threw themselves around in a giant cargo net and drank a lot of cider. As a family, we lost a treasured member but it was brilliant to be together, tight and close for each other. It was both sad and joyful and now Lila is at peace. The Rainbow Bridge - a lovely, poignant thought - thank you, all for allowing me to share our misery, along with our happiness.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

Camps

Thanks for sharing a photo and stories of your loved one, and our hearts are with you all as you grieve. May you also remember the happy times with her - just looking at that face you can see the joy she had in this world as well as the joy she brought to your hearts. That's something to treasure on both accounts.

Blessings to you all!

Cynthia