Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anntn6b

RRD- it's that time of the year

anntn6b
15 years ago

Now that there are enough new leaves to check, a quick pass though my large fence line roses showed that one cane of Turner's Crimson Rambler has RRD. Every leaf axil on that one cane has masses of axilary breaks. None of the other canes do.

It wasn't out about a week and a half ago. But it's past the only at one or two nodes stage so it probably got sick last fall and I missed seeing it then.

Time to get the mist table up and running. It's truly a beautiful rose and it's one I won't do without. So, I'll make cuttings from other canes, just in case.

Ann

Comments (9)

• frogview00
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ann,
    I have access to a Crimson Rambler for cuttings if need be. I will be taking cuttings anyway. RRD is here as well in Hillsborough NC. The town is full of old roses. I keep watching for the dreaded signs as I walk about town.
    Jim

• odyssey3
    15 years ago

RRD is always so sad--glad you at least have some clean areas from which to propagate.

• melissa_thefarm
    15 years ago

If there's one practical consideration that keeps me from smuggling rose material from the U.S. to Italy, it's Rose Rosette Disease. We don't have it here, and I don't want to import it.

Ann, I hope you don't have too much grief from RRD this year! I was interested to read some of your management tactics in dealing with it.

Would you tell me what you love about Turner's Crimson Rambler? I haven't been accustomed to hearing raves about it. Does it suffer from mildew? That's the chief fungal disease here, and I tend to avoid varieties that are susceptible to it. Thanks, and good luck!

Melissa

• barbarag_happy
    15 years ago

I was horrified to hear that there's RRD in northern NC (Hillsborough) and have been watching for it here in Tidewater. I found it on Golden Celebration this morning. Kinda good news/bad news as that rose is on probation anyway due to BS issues. We are near a tidal marsh and I've never seen multiflora back there but I'm gonna get my boots and go look again!

• frogview00
    15 years ago

babarag happy, yes....old timers planted multiflora here as
    shrubs and perhaps still do in the country. I live in town and still see a few. Even with proven literature and photos in hand people are reluctant to remove RRD infected roses. I lost two last year and am holding my breath still with my small humble collection.

Ann, both plants that I lost had been pruned to shape. In that I mean they were throwing out large branches in a pathway. Could that have been an invitation for the disease?? This Spring I didn't prune anything. Does this make sense????

Jim

• palustris
    15 years ago

'Turner's Crimson Rambler' is a great old rose and is a real survivor. Some of the plants in my neighborhood were planted in the 1920s and are still going strong despite the mildew.

Many of the roses related to R. multiflora do get some mildew. The most important point to remember is that it should be grown in such a way as to get good air circulation. Do not grow it up the side of the house, for instance.

{{gwi:240752}}

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    15 years ago

Ann, I was going to direct a post to you. My Eutin had many branches with the disease. It is in a trash bag now. Do you know how to tell if it could be Round Up damamge?

Also do the mites live in the soil?
    How do I clean my pruners and gloves?
    Is there anything about cleaning that could suprise me? Like is it important to sanitize the handle of the long pruners or the shovel?
    Once the rose is diseased, does it keep the mites?
    Do you destroy any roses it is intertwined with.

Why or why did I stop using Wilt Pruf when I stopped spraying??????. I completely forgot that Kaye felt it stopped the disease in her garden.

Sorry there are so many questions.

Sammy

• kaye
    15 years ago

Ann, I did a driveby on a planting from the Ft. Smith Rose Society and the city along a 1/2 mile stretch of road planted in town and, though I didn't stop to double check, I swear one New Dawn on that fence is totally infected across the top. The others look normal..made my stomach turn over. Once you've seen it, you know. I did a talk at the Master Gardeners' down in Mena, AR (where I saw RRD last year on multiflora and in several gardens) and one of the first questions was "what is that weird red growth on my rose?"

That's north AND south of me. I watch my roses closely and (fingers crossed) have not seen it this year..at least not yet.

• anntn6b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jim,
    I worry that we have a limited window of opportunity to save the old ones that are proven survivors here. I think last summer's drought really may have been an impetus for the mites to move to additional (better watered roses).
    Barbara,
    About five years ago there was RRD on a rose in Chesterfield, which (I think) is to your east. That one probably had the vector mites move in on a coal car bound for the shipyards in Norfolk. Often, I've seen RRD along raillines coming out of states with established RRD and also along interstates. The airpressure of big moving vehicles can (I think) carry the mites along into new territory.
    Jim,
    Pruning a rose to be a tight mass of canes is a habit I'm trying really hard to break. With James Galway...it was magnficent. Big vase shaped. I couldn't see through it. I Freakin' well knew better, but I thought that it had a chance. NOPE. IT was too dense and it slowed air currents too well and it got RRD on two canes, and one of those rubbed against another and that one was showing symptoms by the time I noticed it. My current working rule: if I can't see through a rose, I need to remove more canes. And in my garden there is one mite vector time in late April through early June and another in fall, when temps drop below 85 days.

Melissa,
    Palustris' photo is self selling. Turner's Crimson is that wonderful, and it gets that way easily. The one summer we had good rainfall through summer, mine also had fall rebloom. The leaves have that "I'm so healthy that all HTs should envy me" look. My garden seldom has PM; the late easter freeze two years ago TCR had it bad, but so did everything else. I've seen it get PM on the buds when grown in the shade of a hemlock tree (the tree was winning the fight), but it should love your hill side.

Sammy,
    Round up damage looks the same all over the bush. ALL the leaves are stunted. RRD doesn't infect the bush instantaneously and older sick parts are even uglier than newly infected areas.
    The vector mites can infect and move on. They don't over winter in soil, but in bracts in the leaf axils. The disease is in the hollows of the phloem and xylem of the rose, as well as in cells. But unless that disease is spread into phloem cells of another stem, the disease won't spread. Somewhere in the e-book is a detail about the length of the stylet, the feeding apparatus of the vector mite, and how it must bite undifferentiated meristem (meristem is where the rose actively grows) to get the disease into the phloem. I have watched the disease spread down a cane. awesomely wierd. It definitely fits the phloem transport as its first method of spread in the plant.
    When we remove canes, I sterilize the blade parts of our secateurs and leave them exposed to air overnight. I don't think the handles are going to spread this (I would be more careful of spread if I were dealing with crown gall or some of the bacterial diseases that are easily spread.)

I don't destroy neighbor roses...I so far have caught the disease early in my garden and have gotten it before it spreads.

The wiltpruf may work as a way to confuse the mites. They land on leaves- don't recognize the leaves as being roses, and move on.