Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19773911

sunburned Comtesse du Cayla

User
10 years ago

Comtesse du Cayla is such a sweet rose, so prolific and so beautiful in my garden. Each flower is so lovely with its shadings of coral, pink and pale yellow- looks wonderful next to Crepuscule!

Now that it's warming up, her blooms only last 1-2 days, and then she is sunburned beyond recognition. Really blasted- almost as if the flower was held in an open flame. The temperatures here have not even broken into the 80's yet, and so I can hardly imagine what she will look like during the summer.

I'll try growing her in more shade, but then she might not bloom??

Anyone else have "Burning Cayla"? Is there a remedy?

Comments (6)

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Nope, no remedy. Her petals are too soft and papery for the intensity of our aridity, sun levels and heat. I enjoy the flowers I get before and after the blast furnace conditions. All the rest are guaranteed to be "burnt offerings". If you can provide her with morning sun, then filtered, indirect or reflected light, far away from walls and hardscape, during the hottest, most brilliant periods of the sun hours, you MIGHT get more unfried flowers. If you can't, enjoy what you can and dote over other things when you know Cayla is going to fry. And, yes, she looks like dreck in the heat of summer. Always has here in the Encino Hills. It's a very common malady for papery Teas, Chinas and HTs in this type of climate. Kim

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

I grow Mutabilis, which is of course another China, in only morning sun, and it blooms a lot, just as much as other specimens I grew in the sun in an earlier garden.

Perhaps because of the thinning of the ozone layer, I've noticed that in the last few years the intensity of the sun has increased even when the temperature is relatively low. When it was 75 degrees in my low-humidity garden it used to be no problem working outside in the sun. Now I can only tolerate it for a very short while before I have to stop. I suspect the roses are feeling that too. I know that Kim (roseseek) has noticed the same thing in his so. CA garden. Roses with thin petals will have a harder time looking good I'm afraid. I have fairly limited areas of shade and have tried to choose roses that hold up well in the heat, because it certainly isn't going to get any cooler. I think your rose should do fine with morning sun and afternoon shade; it's certainly worth a try.

Ingrid

• cemeteryrose
    10 years ago

The Comtesse du Cayla in the Sacramento cemetery is in a low spot in a plot that floods, and its blossoms hold up much better than the one in my more sparingly-watered home garden. My plant is about ten years old and got much too big, so with Dr. Malcolm Manners' coaching I cut it back to about four feet a couple of years ago. He said I could go even further but I was chicken. To my surprise,the blooms held up better on the shortened plant, which recovered just fine. I wonder if it was easier for water to get up to the blossoms on the shorter canes. I cut it back less severely this year but plan to shorten it again - maybe to three feet or a bit more - the following year. I've never seen Mutabilis blossoms fry here in Sacramento no matter what the exposure or what sized plant, but CdC is a bit more fragile, it seems.
    Anita

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kim, Ingrid and Anita- thanks for your replies. I will try cutting it back and placing it in more shade, and if that fails, I'll just live with the Burning Rose. She's too pretty to shovel prune.

The thinning ozone might be part of the problem, not just the heat.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Avalon, I have her in a five gallon pot and can't decide on placement. How big is yours and how old?

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

floridarose- my CDC is no more than 2-3 years old, and is about 4 feet high, maybe 3 feet wide. I kept it in a huge pot until it outgrew it, and when I planted it in the ground it really took off.