Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what would be a good tall growing David Austin cl.rose for Texas

Posted by boncrow66 none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 19:57

I want to plant a climbing rose from David Austin and want to make the right choice. I am going to plant four for a big arbour. I am considering Graham Thomas but would like to hear feed back from other DA rose growers on what has worked well for them, paticulary in Texas. I want it to have a lot of coverage and bloom well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what would be a good tall growing David Austin cl.rose for Te

To be honest, David Austin roses aren't my number one when I think about floriferous bloomers. Graham Thomas is known to be a stingy bloomer especially, and when he does bloom it's way at the top of this canes where you can really reach them.

In my experience, 'Heritage' has been good for me, and 'Jude the Obscure' as well. They both can be sorta trained to climb, but you have to catch their canes when they're young and supple. When we got rain in the summer, I was easily cutting a bouqet a week from them both.

The thing with Austins though is that you really have to wait until their third year before they start to perform.

If you are interested, I know 'New Dawn' is an Earth-kind rose that has an eye-popping spring flush. I can't speak much to the flushes after that though.

Josh

o

Thanks for your input. I feel like this is a big decision and have been fretting about makin the right one.

o

I looked at Jude the obscure and DA sells it as a climber too. I think this might be a good choice. I will be purchasing my DA roses from Chamblees in Tyler and will be limited to what they carry.

o

• Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 23:04

I have a Graham Thomas that is very healthy but has been a stingy bloomer and I wouldn't suggest it for a climber. One that has really been good for me that you don't hear much about is Tess of the D'Ubervilles. Mine is 4-5 yrs. old and is on a big fan trellis. I like it a lot. Abe Darby is one of my favorites - I have 2, one is a shrub and the other is a young climber so I cant really say if it will be a big bloomer or not.

Parade is an excellent climber - Pink Don Juan, which I am trying this year, looks very pretty. My all time favorite climber [which can be had at Chamblees] is Crepuscule. Just gorgeous peach ice cream shade of blooms that cover the plant - it arches, weeps - just a beauty. One of the roses I would never be without. Clair Matin is another climber I really like - sweet scent, pretty pink blooms. I understand 4th of July blooms a lot but haven't grown it.

o

Boncrow,

My Austins were all purchased from Chamblee's as well.

Josh

o

Oooh, I second the suggestions for Crepuscule!

o

Is crepuscule a DA? I really appreciate your input. I had planned on buying a Abe Darby for a shrub but would be willing to try it as a climber. I will also consider the Tess. I was wanting a yellow climber but at this point want to plant what is going to bloom the best as that is what I really important to me. Wish me luck! I have a few more weeks before I make my road trip to Tyler and I am sure I will be obsessing over what to do until then :)

o

• Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 23:55

Crepuscule is a Tea-Noisette. I would plant a whole fenceline of these fabulous creatures if I didn't have so many others. Since you are going to Chamblees, talk to Maria - she will give you great advice on what would grow well for you. I am going to Tyler Friday with friends - going to see if we cant mosey over that way.....unfortunately, I always come home loaded with roses.....and my pot ghetto needs to be planted.......Have fun - you will find lots of inspiration and temptation!!
Judith

o

Thanks so much Judith! Have a safe trip to Tyler and have fun!

Bonnie

o

If it's not too late, consider Austin's Mortimer Sackler. I grow mine as a tall shrub, but it definitely would like to grow taller if I'd let it. Puts on a good strong pink bloom in spring and several good re-blooms. Perhaps a bit slow on the rebloom, but fine once it gets going.

Kate

o

Thanks Kate! I will add that one to my list to look at when I finally make it to Tyler. I still have a week to go so I hope to hear more suggestions. Had anyone had good luck with Golden Celebration?

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 12:24

I have both Graham Thomas and Golden Celebration and GC is always taller than GT for me. GT has a much more upright growth and comes in at about 8 feet each season. GC has more flexible canes and is trellised at 10 feet but goes to at least 12 feet each year. They're both about the same for health, not great and spot quickly.

o

How does the GC bloom? I may be not being very realistic but I was hoping for whatever I finally decide on to have blooms from spring to fall.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 17:52

Then you don't want GC. It blooms in flushes but they're 6 or 8 weeks apart. My Austins do not bloom continuously but in cycles. If you want something that will bloom a lot all season maybe you should look at Julia Child. She should get fairly large in your zone and her blooms are fully petaled like the Austins. For me she is very fragrant, very healthy and in bloom almost constantly.

o

That gives me something to think about, I will add Julia to my list. Thanks!

o

I love my Golden Celebration which has made it to about seven feet tall and has a lovely shrub shape. For me, it blooms close to constantly in this hot, dry climate (though we're a long way from Texas). It's biggest drawback was it took 2-3 years to really kick in, but when it did, it became a favorite of mine. Here's a pic. Diane

o

That picture is beautiful! We also have very hot summers here in texas. I am going to be purchasing several DA roses soon and GC will definitely be on my list and I think for sure Abe Darby. Thank you for sharing your picture and showing me how gorgeous this rose can be.

o

What about Teasing Georgia?
Here it has a massive flush in spring and early summer, then settles down to flowering well, if not so much, for the rest of the summer and autumn. Now that it is over three years old, it has been producing the occasional flower in winter too.
It has had no pests or diseases at all and has a gorgeous perfume.
Daisy

may 2013 044 - Copy

o

That is very pretty, I like that very much and I have considered it as well. I am limited to what Chamblees offers as far as DA. I didn't see that one on their website and I feel like it's too late to order one. If I can't find exactly what I am looking for on my visit to Chamblees in a few weeks I may have to wait and order what I want for next spring as far as a climber goes. I do plan on buying a DA rose for sure this season but may have to wait on a climber.

o

• Posted by vasue 7A Charlottesville (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 11:11

My Golden Celebration blooms continuously from early Spring well past first frost in this central Virginia hot, wet environment, as Diane's does in her hot & dry one. Also took mine a couple of years to really strut its stuff. Extended heat past mid-90's doesn't slow the blooming, which I'd guess will be important in your location. Mine has shown no blackspot in its 5-6 years with no spray. Flexible canes & laterals would be easy to train to an arbor. Lovely perfume, too.

This post was edited by vasue on Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 17:43

o

Thanks for sharing about your GC. It has definitely made my DA list! I love hearing all the suggestions and feedback, I have enjoyed this forum so much and have learned so much. I have always had roses but never paid much attention to names or the types of different roses unil last year when we just happended to make a stop at the Chamblees rose farm in Tyler. That opened my eyes to a whole new world lol.

o

I think the golden celebration is a winner as is the Abe Darby. I am also considering carding mill but I still have a week to mull over everything.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here