Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19773911

Anyone growing teas in S. Florida?

User
15 years ago

Anyone growing teas in S. Florida?

Do you have any teas that are doing very well for you in S. Florida? Are they on their own roots?

When I'm allowed some more "rose money", I would like to order some teas, but I need some info to help me form my wish list.

looking forward to your replies, and

thanks,

Avalon

Comments (14)

• melva
    15 years ago

I am not in South Florida but I think you probably need 'Noella Nabonnand' and
    'Madam Lombard' too.

• pandy
    15 years ago

Hi Avalon,

I have Baronne Henriette de Snoy, Gilbert Nabonnand, Lady Hillingdon, Mrs Dudley Cross, Mme Charles, William R Smith, Clementina Carbonieri, Etoile de Lyon, Miss Atwood, Francis Dubreuil etc etc..They are great down here. Once they get going they bloom constantly.

Mari

• tenor_peggy
    15 years ago

I have Duchesse du Brabant, Clementina Carboneiri and Lady Hillingdon in my small rose garden. LH sometimes has a few spotted leaves but nothing too serious and I manually remove these (I do not spray). CC grows kinda funny. It's canes grow almost horizontally but I love her flowers and fragrance.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Melva, Mari and Tenor Peggy-

Are your teas on their own roots or on Fort?

• pandy
    15 years ago

Mine are both. However, my "soil" is heavy duty coral, not nematode friendly. I also have raised beds.

Mari

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Mari,
    Hope you don't mind the questions:
    How old are your roses?
    Do they bloom most of the time?

Thanks,
    Avalon

• pandy
    15 years ago

Dont mind at all :)

I moved here four and half yeas ago so my oldest are four. Those are HBSnoy, GNabannond, Mrs Dudley Cross and Clemetina C. They all pretty much have constant bloom with maybe CC taking short breaks. Every year they bloom more and more though.

Mari

• melva
    15 years ago

Mine are own root.

• york_rose
    15 years ago

Apologies for jumping in with a related question (that's probably been asked before), but does anyone grow roses in the Florida Keys (including Key West)? I figure hybrid teas probably don't do all that well there, but what about chinas & teas?

• sandy808
    15 years ago

I really am not very familiar with what grows in the Florida Keys, but I have been told that Mrs. Dudley Cross thrives there.

If I lived down there I would also be trying some of the Bermuda Mystery roses.

I love the north central Florida area. We can grow so many roses, and camellias too!

Sandy

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yorkrose-
    I would be interested in knowing the answer to the "roses in the Fla Keys" question as well. I haven't been down there in years, and I don't recall seeing any roses. Of course, what is growing in peoples' yards isn't always visible from public places.

Any Keys rose would have to tolerate salt, solid limestone/coral rock substrate and a complete lack of dormancy. I would be interested in such a rose.

• tenor_peggy
    15 years ago

All of my roses are in containers (I don't have much of an area for a regular ground garden here) so all of mine are own root. I only have a few roses but I pamper each of them and give them tons of love! ⺠My roses bloom year round. I know its not recommended but I cut all of my roses WAY back and remove the foliage in early June right before I leave for Wisconsin for 8 weeks (my neighbor waters them for me if we don't get any rain for a couple of days during the rainy season) and by the time I return in early August they are all over 2 feet tall and I can see that they have flowered while I was gone! I prune them like a HT so they may not bloom as much as they would if I left them alone but they seem to be tolerant of this treatment and it helps to keep them from becoming huge monsters and outgrowing the containers they are in.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Question for tenor peggy:

How old are your teas? The reason I asked is that I have been told that teas have a very limited life span in S.Fla if they are on their own roots. Maybe the pots are making the difference by cutting down on the nematode problem?

Avalon

• tenor_peggy
    15 years ago

My oldest tea is Lady Hillingdon and it is only 3 years old (I only moved here permanently 3 years ago!). I had teas up north in containers (in Wisconsin no less) and most of them were in containers for 7+ years. I had the floribunda Sunsprite - which I recently heard does well here and I may get it again - in a pot for almost 20 years up there. I'm would think having my roses in pots here will enable my own root teas to do well as long as the nematodes don't get in the mix!