Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jumping the gun? More rose burrito questions

Posted by vettin z6b Northern VA (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 20:30

Thought that if I left these longer might start molding. Blossomtime after two weeks, buff beauty after one week:
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Will cutting them shorter benefit them? In 14oz cups and cutting towards bottom of cup, but still quite a bit of cutting exposed:
So far, thicker cuttings seem to do better, and removing leaf buds has helped, that area seems to also be callusing potentially

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jumping the gun? More rose burrito questions

If you're growing them on indoors and the humidity is high enough to prevent them from drying out, leave them that length unless they begin to die back from the tops, then cut them shorter as they turn.

If you're growing them outdoors and you're getting rains to keep them hydrated or the humidity is high enough to prevent them from drying out, leave them that length.

I have to make mine shorter so I can bury more of the canes because I live in a savannah type climate. While we CAN get dews and occasional fogs, it is usually too arid for that much cane without roots to support it to remain alive and full enough of water to work. It rained several inches yesterday and into this morning. Now, it's a very cold, very dry wind. The water standing in the low spots in the street has already dried up. The wet soil in the shade of the house where the sun doesn't hit this time of year would usually remain wet for weeks this time of year. It's already beginning to appear to dry out because the wind is so arid. My climate just doesn't have the humidity or rain to support that much exposed unrooted cutting. If yours does, go for it! If where you're growing them on has enough moisture, go for it! As long as you can keep them alive, using longer cuttings should provide more stored nutrients to support the cuttings until they actually root and begin feeding themselves. If they appear to be shriveling because they're drying out and you can't increase the humidity or keep them sprayed with water a couple of times a day, trim them shorter. Longer cuttings like yours work quite well in mist propagators where the system mists or fogs the cuttings at regular intervals to keep them from drying out. If you need to, you can do the same, or you can cut them shorter so more of the total length is buried in the dirt. Does it make more sense now? Kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here