Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

Re: Sacramento Old City Cemetery Open Garden Catalog

jerijen
13 years ago

!YIPPEE! The Catalog is now up on the Cemetery's website, and ready for viewing.

The Website is:

http://cemeteryrose.org/

Click on the catalog line to view -- and enjoy!

Jeri Jennings

On behalf of the Sacramento Old City Cemetery

Historic Rose Garden

Here is a link that might be useful: Cemetery Garden Website

Comments (12)

• rootygirl
    13 years ago

Oh, I would love to be in Sacramento for this event, but perhaps I can take a trip to see the gardens in bloom.
    This catalog has great photos of unusual roses and I really like the background story--very inspiring!

• katefisher
    13 years ago

Yay! Nice work Jeri.

Kate

• cemeteryrose
    13 years ago

Not only does Jeri deserve great kudos for all of the work that she did on this catalog, the people propagating these roses have done a wonderful job. This is an all-volunteer effort, a labor of love.
    Anita

• katefisher
    13 years ago

You summed the situation up perfectly Anita. Thank you EVERYONE who works on the garden and this project. All your hard work makes the cemetery amazing.

Kate

• hodgepodge_roses
    13 years ago

Jeri~ as always, you have put together an amazing catalog...your hard work shows. I look forward to visiting everyone in the garden and replacing some roses I lost in the horrible heat wave. I was hoping White Pearl would be on the list again, as this was my most devastating loss. See you all soon!

Deron
    p.s. can't believe we were put on the website, what an honor!! :-)

• cemeteryrose
    13 years ago

Hi, Deron - looking forward to seeing you again at Open Garden!

While we don't have White Pearl this year, we have Elisabeth's Red China, which blooms constantly. It grows a bit more upright, I think. It has the added benefit of fragrance. It's more like Cramoisie Superieur than WPIRDM, perhaps. I honestly don't have the red Chinas straight, one from another - apparently they were grown from seeds and the distinctions between the plants aren't very clear.

We also have Bengal Fire, which seems to be the same as Vintage's Miss Lowe's Variety, the Sanguinea which is grown in Europe, and the Bengal Crimson that I saw in England. I think it could be a very large rose but my friend who gave it to the cemetery has grown his in a container for five years, and it's four feet tall and three feet wide for him.

Both of these roses were in full bloom in December and have had scattered bloom all winter long. Amazing roses.

Anita

• jannorcal
    13 years ago

Deron,
    The Malespina Red China is very similar to White Pearl, just bigger than WPIRDM. IMO, I'd rather have Malespina than White Pearl because it is a more substantial plant. Depends on how much real estate you have left in your backyard :-).
    We will have many Portland from Glendoras, feel free to bring several back to their home :)
    Janelle

• hodgepodge_roses
    12 years ago

Janelle,
    I love, love, love my Portland from Glendora. I was hoping to bring a picture of my mothers "find" last year...it was listed as "Phillips & Rix" but we're doubtful. Hopefully you and Anita will give it a peek. Can't wait!!
    D

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

Bringing this back up to the top for those planning to go.

• jerijen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am SO looking forward to seeing the garden, and seeing all of y'all who can make it. I am determined to spend some time walking the garden with my cameras and my puppy, and I can't imagine a better day.

Jeri

• jerijen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh Deron! I second the recommendations for Malespina ... and you MUST, MUST, MUST get "Elisabeth's China."

I remember picking up a bloom and smelling it, and stopping dead in my tracks. It's not only a continuous bloomer, its fragrance will knock your socks off.

Jeri

• aimeekitty
    12 years ago

ah, I wish Lady Roberts was easier to get! She looks right up my alley! Unfortunately I don't have time to go up to Sacramento right now.