Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cecile, Zeimet, Napoleon, Sarasota Spice

Posted by sammy OK/7A (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 17, 12 at 21:00

I need a few more roses. Do any of you know the difference between Spice and Sarasota Spice? Do you grow Cecile Brunner (Sweetheart has very small blooms), Katherine Zeimet, Napoleon

I need disease resistance, and lots of blooms.
Thanks,
Sammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cecile, Zeimet, Napoleon, Sarasota Spice

Sammy -- I don't grow it now, but I have grown 'Mlle. Cecile Brunner' in both her bush and climbing forms. The blooms really are exquisite, and they are completely disease-free in Southern California.

If you're considering these roses, I urge you to consider as well 'Perle d'Or,' which is closely-related to 'Mlle. Cecile Brunner' (didn't EVERYONE's grandmother call her "Cecil Brooner"??) only in a lovely pale apricot. I actually prefer it.

I love both.
I had Katerina Zeimet here for a while, but it didn't seem to like it here, and I suspect it was more sensitive to my alkaline conditions.

I have not grown Napoleon, because it seems to be closely related to 'Old Blush,' which is a mildewy mess here in all seasons. (Yeah. I know. Sorry.) But if you can grow Old Blush (and I bet you can) you should be able to grow Napoleon.

Sammy -- PLEASE tell me I won't see tornadoes in Tulsa in early May!

JEri

o

THanks Jeri,
I did not like Old Blush even if it was the first to bloom. It seemed rather dull to me.We did not have a mildew problem, but I just didn't like it. I have avoided Napoleon because of the name, so I think it is not destined to be mine.

I have two Spice roses, but not a Sarasota Spice. I had a Cecile Brunner Sweetheart rose, but am not sure that the one I saw was Sweetheart.

Jeri, I love the Perle 'd Or. I have three in a bed and I love them. I also like the Caldwell Pink, and wondered about the Katharine Zeimet. I have not seen this rose in any discussion so I am not sure that it would be as good as maybe another Ducher. Ducher loves it here.

We tore down our arbor, and are replacing the roses that are a little more ladder friendly -- under 8 feet.

I would appreciate suggestions.

Sammy

o

Katerina Z. is low-growing with dark glossy foliage, repeats well (if deadheaded) with fragrant, pure white flowers. Disease resistant in many gardens. A very nice little rose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here