Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cemeteryrose

Video of Sacramento Historic Rose Garden

cemeteryrose
10 years ago

It's a little shaky, but I decided to drive around the rose garden in today's very welcome rain and take a video of the cemetery and its roses. Even if you are able to come to our Open Garden on Apr 12 (930-2), many of these roses will be over and others will be in full bloom instead.

I just realized that I didn't take all of the Broadway Bed - the mausoleum and the tea roses at the front of the garden are not on this video. Guess I need to do another one!

A reminder - we sell a documentary about the rose garden which includes interviews with me, the curator emeritus, Barbara Oliva, and Fred Boutin, the botanist and rosarian who started the garden. This DVD also has many photos of the rose garden. I'll be glad to ship one to you if you like.
Anita

Here is a link that might be useful: Sacramento Historic Rose Garden in the Rain

Comments (11)

• priscilla_ca
    10 years ago

Hi Anita, Glorious rain! We are getting rain today as well in SLO County, which is so desperately needed. I think we are up to about 11 inches total for the past 2 years.

Thanks so much for posting the video, the gardens looked beautiful. I've been planning on attending the Open Garden, and this was just the ticket to motivate me to make a hotel reservation. Which I just did. :-)

There was a white rose (I'm presuming it's a rose!) at 1:30 mins. into the video that looked amazing, can you tell me which rose that was?

Thanks,
    Priscilla

• cemeteryrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually, that white plant is a bridal wreath spirea. I grew up with them all around the base of our old brick Victorian house so it makes me happy to have them growing in our old cemetery.

Please say hi when you come to Open Garden. Glad that this video pushed you over the edge!
    Anita

Here is a link that might be useful: Bridal Wreath Spirea

• priscilla_ca
    10 years ago

Hi Anita, Oh that's funny, I do like spirea, have had one in my yard for years, and just today added 2 more in a new bed. But not that variety, mine are shrub-like and not nearly as showy as yours. It looks like I'll have to add one more!
    See you at the garden,
    Priscilla

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Lovely, Anita! A little fast, but it gives the idea and helps share the beauty you all have created and maintained. Thank you! Kim

• cemeteryrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually, that white plant is a bridal wreath spirea. I grew up with them all around the base of our old brick Victorian house so it makes me happy to have them growing in our old cemetery.

Please say hi when you come to Open Garden. Glad that this video pushed you over the edge!
    Anita

Here is a link that might be useful: Bridal Wreath Spirea

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Thanks Anita. I really enjoyed that.

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

Everything about this video is so enjoyable. Thank you!

• fogrose
    10 years ago

Now I can finally show my friends a better experience of why I make a trip every year to this magical garden. Thank you Anita!

Diane

• rinaldo
    10 years ago

I really enjoyed that! Thank you for taking the time.--Sam

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    10 years ago

Thanks for the beautiful tour, Anita. Loved seeing Vina Banks -- mine, still young, just starting to bloom -- eventually having a plant of it like the one at the cemetery is one of my dearest aspirations.

• cath41
    10 years ago

I too loved seeing Vina Banks. It was sent accidentally instead of the Purezza I ordered during Vintage's wind down. I didn't have the heart to object. Now I'm glad I didn't.

Cath