Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vettin

RRD potentially in the neighborhood. How to keep out of yard?

vettin
12 years ago

I should have taken a photo, I saw two rose bushes with what I think is RRD in two different yards in the neighborhood. Should I be taking any precautions, and if yes, what please?

Comments (11)

• JessicaBe
    12 years ago

What is RRD?

• olga_6b
    12 years ago

I don't believe you can do much. Just watch your roses and respond if you get any signs of RRD on your own roses (remove canes or the whole bush). Don't let your roses grow too dense or too big. Many of us live surrounded by RRD. I lose every year 1-3 roses to it. It does not spread like fire, more like a tax you pay every year. Not makes you happy, but not in your power not to pay :)
    Olga

• henry_kuska
    12 years ago

Ann Peck has the most complete description. Her ARS link is the last link on my web page about Rose Rosette Virus (used to be RRD D for disease, as the virus had not been identified until recently).

Here is a link that might be useful: my Rose Rosette link

• olga_6b
    12 years ago

Jessica, sorry I didn't answer your question. RRD is a Rose Rosette Disease.
    Olga

• vettin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you. Will try to go back and take photos. Wondering if possibly round up damage instead.

• erasmus_gw
    12 years ago

It could be roundup damage. It might be a good excuse to meet these neighbors and talk to them about it. You could ask if they've used roundup near those plants. If they are interested in roses or might want to replace their diseased rose, they might get rid of the plant or the affected cane for their own good. They also might get rid of it for your good. My neighbor had a big wild multiflora with RRD and when I brought him some printed info on RRD he said the plant is mine to do with as I want. So I got rid of it. I offered him a replacement plant but he didn't want any. I don't know how much good it might do to get rid of one affected plant when it seems likely that there is some wild multiflora with RRD somewhere in the area, but it might help some. Maybe if the local tv news carried a story about RRD more people would know to get rid of sick plants.

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

It would be worth it to find out whether or not it could be Roundup damage. I understand that they look quite similar at one point.

Do you have a large yard? I understand that RRD is spread by a wind-borne mite. Do you have room to put up some kind of permeable windbreak fence that breaks but does not try to stop the wind, something with the density of a snow fence? It is possible that this could cause the mites to fall just inside the fence. There you could grow plants other than roses so the RRD virus has no host, perhaps your vegetable garden and fruit trees which would not be harmed. You could then grow roses with less risk in other parts of your garden.

Please be aware that this is only a theory I came up with thinking about the problem, and that as far as I know, no one has ever actually tried it. But if I lived in RRD country, and I had a large enough space, I would definitely give it a try myself. After all, what have you got to lose?

Rosefolly

• anntn6b
    12 years ago

At this time of the year, there's a chance for odd growth to be Rose Spring Dwarf, which is uncommon in the east, but this year, who knows what normal is?

Also the reddish growth that quickly turns to green seems to have come out even stronger.

But I can also assure you that RRD (RRv) does show on plants this early in the spring. We've had to remove one large rambler- in an oddly interesting turn, the cane that was sick last fall (late last fall) came out with even denser witches brooms this spring and newly infected (from the roots) canes don't have as dense witches brooms. I haven't had the heart to check out The Cherokee Rose- it was showing symptoms last fall late and isn't very close to other roses.

One design thing that we've done is prune the roses for open air flow. I hesistated on a beautiful James Galway and the dense part of it caught RRv. I waited two years to replace it (it is perfect for where it was planted) and this year it will be forced to be less dense.

I'm a bit worried about these hot temps early and when we get back to Knoxville, I will get out the microscope and check mite populations.

Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: RRD e-book

• henry_kuska
    12 years ago

If you are interested in further information about the aphid spread Rose Spring Dwarf virus, including pictures, see the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: my rose spring dwarf link

• hartwood
    12 years ago

If you are certain that what you saw is RRD, please talk to your neighbors and educate them about the disease. Most folks have never heard of it, and they are grateful for whatever you can tell them.

One rose from which I removed a diseased cane last fall has come back with RRD growth ... so it's outta here. Two more roses are showing early infection symptoms. One will be removed, and one I will attempt to propagate ... as it is rare and needs saving.

Back to the subject at hand ... a virus-infected bush here or there in your neighborhood is not as much a factor in RRD spread as the fencelines of feral roses on the roadsides or the mass plantings of Knock Out in nearly every commercial development and median. Be vigilant in your garden, and take action if symptoms appear.

Rose Rosette Disease is generally not the end of your rose garden (though there are cases where this has happened ... so sad.) I'm still expanding and planting and thoroughly looking forward to this year's rose season ... RRD will NOT defeat me OR my garden.

Connie

• lookin4you2xist
    12 years ago

I can not fathom that I have never saw RRD in my garden. I guess I am lucky. Multiflora doesn't last in Tampa Bay. I have been extremely picky (the past 3 or so years)about what I will add to my garden.

Also, I have never even heard of Rose Spring Dwarf. Guess it gives me something else to be on the look out for. As always, thank you for the information.

Andrew