Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shade tolerance of Great Maiden's Blush

Posted by fogrose zone 10/sunset 17 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 23:37

I received 2 large plants of Great Maiden's Blush last fall from Mary's Plant Farm in Ohio.

Rogue Valley Roses lists it as very shade tolerant and says "They perform superbly along the darkest pathways of the pine grove in the garden where they grow here."

I'd appreciate hearing about people's experience with shade tolerance and performance of this beautiful rose.

Thanks,
Diane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shade tolerance of Great Maiden's Blush

I grow Maiden's Blush and not Great Maiden's Blush, plus a number of other Albas. They are in my shadiest rose growing areas and they grow and bloom quiet well. I don't know if it could be different for you in a cooler and damper spot.

o

• Posted by fogrose zone 10/sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 18:04

Thanks Pamela. Can you tell me about how many hours of sun your Albas get?

Diane

o

Diane, do once blooming europeans perform adequately with your warmish winters?
Nik

o

Most of them receive filtered sun from noon onward with little more after 2PM. These are the ones growing under the Golden Monterey Cypresses at the bottom of the garden.

o

I have the opposite. My albas have no shade at all there in my front yard next to a road. There all are very new so I hope they do alright.

o

Bman,

Don't worry. I had the alba 'White Rose of York' on a dry sunny hillside for 30 years and it did just fine.

Cath

o

I've grown albas, including Maiden, in sun and shade. They have performed well in both locations. Maybe less bloom in shade but the blooms seem to last longer. I think you'll be fine with shade, Diane, and sun, Bman. My Semiplena is in pretty deep shade and is great every year. Madame Plantier (alias Armide) will be planted in shade this year. It's my only available location. Th Queen of Denmark is good in shade, too. However, I think she's slightly less tolerant than Maiden and Semiplena. Carol

o

Thanx Carol for the advice.

o

• Posted by fogrose zone 10/sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 2:09

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all your comments. The location I have planned will get 3-4 hours of afternoon sun.

Nik, yes they do perform well. I have a number of Gallicas that seem quite happy. Also, Belle Amour grows and flowers very well. I have a crazy theory that because they're in shade all winter that it acts as a chilling factor.

Hi Carol! I'm going to have to try Semi Plena too.

Diane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here