Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kippy_the_hippy

Butterscotch

Kippy
9 years ago

I would love to hear about Butterscotch in yours or a friends garden.

I saw it yesterday at Descanso and was taken with its large unique colored blooms
{{gwi:243785}}
{{gwi:243786}}

Comments (16)

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Kippy, I'll be following your thread. I don't have the budget or space for another rose but I almost pressured myself to buy this climber. Vintage Gardens carried it and I would have ordered one in a panic exept I discovered that RVR also sells it. The color is fascinating, isn't it? Almost like antique parchment or a buff-gold-beige watercolor. More tan than Buff Beauty. Carol

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

This a great rose. I like it so much I've planted two. Not only is the color wonderful, it has a great rebloom for a climber.

• trospero
    9 years ago

'Butterscotch', the climber (don't mistake the older Hybrid Tea of the same name for this more modern J&P hybrid) is a good climbing HT and has surprisingly good vigor for its color type. (The "browns" are typically weak, troubled plants) However, it should be said that this one is very prone to Blackspot in climates that encourage the disease, so be aware of that. Secondly, it fares much better in hot, dry climates, so this is a better rose by far in SoCal and similar regions.

{{gwi:243787}}

• bluegirl_gw
    9 years ago

You mean JACtan? My kiddo from Vintage is just getting big enough to let bloom--the flowers are wonderful!

I like to check them several times a day--the most fascinating blend of tan & pale yellow, veined with brown--like parchment flowers. Doesn't sound pretty, but I like them.

So far, seems a healthy plant. Survived repeated, record cold here. It's throwing lots of buds & the leaves & shoots look healthy (deserty climate)

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Kippy, great photo of your mom!

Paul, thank you for the blackspot alert. My no spray garden falls in the danger zone, no doubt. Darn it!

Carol

• trospero
    9 years ago

@Carol:
    Yeah, unfortunately this is one whose Blackspot susceptibility I would list as severe. Grown out in the open garden, mine died from constant defoliation due to disease. The one I kept under plastic (in one of the big hoop houses) is thriving. You gotta keep its foliage healthy if its going to perform for you.

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Paul, please let me know if you breed a tan rose for our climate! Four of your introductions just arrived at my door from RVR. Carol

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Kippy, that's a great picture of your mom and the rose. I'm always touched by the many things you do in the garden with your mom's pleasure and convenience in mind.

Ingrid

• trospero
    9 years ago

Carol,
    Have you considered 'Pam's Choice'? Although I will admit without hesitation, it doesn't have particularly good Blackspot resistance in our climate either.

Its unlikely that I will come up with a new "brown" specifically for our climate, since I am no longer actively involved in rose breeding. (The last crosses I made were in 2010 and there are a number of varieties from the past 5 years that have excellent traits, but sadly, the industry is now so badly depressed that I doubt any of my newer roses will end up in commerce)

I'm curious -- which of my introductions did you opt for? I hope 'Marianne' is one of them! Its the one rose of mine I hope outlives me! ;-)

This post was edited by trospero on Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 15:48

• roseseek
    9 years ago

JACtan had no black spot issues in Newhall, and the flowers were fleeting, but it remained for many years because I LIKED it. Had I somewhere to grow another climate (or ANY climber for that matter), and sufficient water for another plant, it would be here. Great picture, Kippy! Kim

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

it depends on climate. I haven't had much blackspot on mine.

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Hi, Paul.

Yes, I bet I'll be ordering 'Pam's Choice' now that it's back in stock...even if it requires some disease protection. I opted not to do a last minute Vintage order of 'Lavender Pinocchio' in favor of 'Pam.'

My RVR order included 'Marianne' which I plan to grow alongside an arch with 'Violette.' I believe 'Marianne' will outlive us all! I am going to place 'Rook' in partial shade near some hydrangeas, Rosa gallica 'Officinalis' and 'Versicolor.' 'Oshun' will reside at the entry of my front bed, next to a variegated mock orange and 'Tradescant.' 'Crested Damask' will reside in the sun beyond a fig tree, adjoining a variegated hydrangea and a lilac and just in front of a variegated jasmine. I will probably make one more RVR order which will include 'Mel's Heritage' and 'Jeri Jennings.' If I have a couple more spots open, 'Joyce Barden' will follow as will your tea rose 'Won Fang Yon.' The latter will hopefully quench my desire for a healthy tea in a poor tea climate. I'll be posting photos and progress as time passes.

Thank you so much for the beautiful, disease resistant cultivars. I wish the economy and your plans were conducive to continued breeding. Yours are some special roses!

Carol

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Kippy, if you decide to try Butterscotch, please post pics! I'd love to see photos of how everyone has placed/places this rose in the garden--companion plantings and all that sort of thing--Kippy, Mendocino and Bluegirl. Carol

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Carol

I can't get those big unique colored blooms out of my head and I happen to have a garden arch that will be directly across from my shed (to be) that I want 'Buff Beauty' on. I had planned on a non rose but decided I have a ton of that type of fruit already and do not need more.

I just wish I could find a 'Climbing Snowbird' that I could put on the other side, but that was a Vintage rose.

I have 'Won Fang Yon' and 'Jeri Jennings' are on my list too, 'Mel's Heritage' I don't think I have space for....

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Kippy, yes, those blooms are haunting, aren't they? I keep picturing Butterscotch with Edwardian hand tinted photo colors. I was going to try it next to Penelope and something pale pink. I may sub in Jeri Jennings (the rose, not the rosarian). Your empty arch sounds like an open invitation for Butterscotch. Maybe intertwined with a blue or purple clematis? I don't know of another Snowbird source off the top of my head, but I haven't checked around. I was surprised that RVR carries several hard-to-find gems. Colorwise, Won Fang Yon is going to be a challenge to place in my garden. I may throw out a posting asking for forum members to help me out with pics of Won or a similar colored rose in their gardens. I don't really have room for Mel, but I may hard prune him like I do Madame Alfred Carriere, Violette and Lady Banks. I'm looking forward to seeing more photos of your garden as the seasons continue. I love that you and your mom enjoy gardens together. You both impress me as a whole lot of fum! My mom loved her garden and I used to send photos of mine to her via email. Twice per year (or a bit more), I'd fly to TX to visit and we'd walk through or work in her garden. Carol