Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Could Smell Better Than A Spring Flush?

Posted by Kippy-the-Hippy 10 Sunset 24 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 0:39

What could smell better than an amazing spring flush of highly scented Austin's and Antique roses?

All those roses and a very very happy grapefruit tree in full bloom. What a scent. If you have never enjoyed a citrus orchard in bloom, it is more intoxicating than roses and carries on the breeze

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Could Smell Better Than A Spring Flush?

Kippy, we have an orange orchard next door and the scent is intoxicating, especially in the evening. Much stronger than any rose could ever smell and enough to make one swoon. I don't have a huge number of fragrant roses so the citrus fragrance is a marvelous bonus.

Ingrid

o

Growing up we had what I have since been able to identify as a Michelia x alba in the back yard. My goodness was the scent to die for. It died while I was in high school unfortunately. Luckily two are grown near me so I get to enjoy the scent still. Citrus orchards must be divine though. We always had several lemon trees of various types growing up which had a wonderful bouquet. My grandpa lived in Anaheim and had 8 orange trees that were just incredible smelling. He made sure that Orange County lived up to the name.

I personally find the smell of a mature, full-blooming Brugsmania at night to be one of the most intoxicating scents. I always loved going over to a particular friend's house during college in Berkeley because it meant I'd get to pass an incredible Brugmansia to and fro. My mom has one in the "Pet Cemetery" area of her back yard. It replaced the Michelia as the yard's core fragrance-wafting plant. It is a double, white variety that stinks up the yard in the best kind of way.

Jay

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 8:49

It all sounds delicious! It will be a while before our apple trees bloom but it is intoxicating too!

o

Our apple tree is blooming now. It only lasts a few days but the scent, although light, is incomparable - a once a year treat if you can catch it.

Cath

o

I never realized the apples had a scent. Will have to check tomorrow. But they are by oranges so they might not stand out

o

Fragrance of mock orange shrub blossoms floating in the humid spring air of east Tennessee. :)

o

Wisteria and lilac, as well as the roses of course. And no chemical treatments to mess everything up. Naturally the grass adds its bit, and the subtle or not-so-subtle (onions and mustard) contributions of a zillion other plants. When I go mess around in the shade garden there's a plant that when I bruise it puts out a characteristic foxy but not disagreeable scent. I've never identified it for sure, but believe it's one of the native geraniums.
Mock orange is coming up soon. No citrus, but we can't have ALL the world's scented joys for ourselves in our one little corner.
Melissa

o

Sweet Olive bushes, when in bloom, can sure get your attention.

o

Nothing like driving through Filmore when the oranges are in bloom. You can have the windows closed, the a/c and speeding and you can't help but enjoy those orchards.

Maybe it was too late in the day for the apples, but I did not really notice a scent. But I will keep checking.

o

Lilacs. Then roses.
But they are both wonderful.

o

The citrus orchard at one end of the in-progress "Garden of Forgotten Dreams" has made working on the new garden pure heaven. The spent orange blossoms, now yielding to the evocative fragrance of jasmine -- abundant and in full bloom.

Time . . . transitions . . . life in a garden.

This post was edited by Sow_what on Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 6:13

o

kippy,

I have to put my nose right in the apple blossom but the scent is there. Perhaps different trees differ? Now that's a tautology for you!

Cath

o

Like others, I substituted mock orange. I think I must have attempted to create my own version of a grove. I have five! My daughter and I were out in the garden today, sticking our noses in the lilacs. Stanwell Perpetual offered us his first bloom of the season. Soon the honeysuckles and jasmines will bloom.... Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here