Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Color of Gilbert Nabonnand?

Posted by ArbutusOmnedo 10/24 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 1:13

What color flowers does Gilbert Nabonnand tend to produce for you? I havent uploaded any pictures to my computer yet -and there haven't been many blooms to capture after pinching off most of the buds- but the band of Gilbert Nabonnand my mother received from Rogue Valley is producing blooms with a red shading on the outer petals and anywhere from orange-pink to "Belinda's Dream-pink" in the center. There is a clear difference between the inner and outer petals.

Almost all of the pictures on Help Me Find are very dissimilar to her rose. The description does read Orange-Pink on HMF, but the pictures are almost all a uniform shell-pink or some light/creamy pink. Has Gilbert Nabonnand ever exhibited the tendency to produce red outer petals for you? It's much like the effect of Rosette Delizy's pink outer petals in cooler weather.

We're interested to read your experiences. Thanks for your help as always. I'll get a picture up soon.

Jay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Color of Gilbert Nabonnand?

Hm, mine have all been pretty light-colored apricot/pink. Is it possibly Souvenir de Gilbert Nabonnand?

o

Hi Jay. I bought my G. Nabonnand last summer from RU. I've included a link of how it looked in August as I didn't see the bloom in cooler temps. It is budded now and definitely has a deep pink bud...I will get a photo up as soon as it blooms.
Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: G Nabonnand my summer color

o

Yep, that's what my blooms usually look like, but lighter the hotter and sunnier it is. I don't think they've ever been darker than the pic Susan posted. (I've only had mine a year though, so not a long history to speak from).

o

Here in my part of the SoCal coast, G. Nabonnand is definitely pale.

See below:

o

I think there is a strong chance that Rogue Valley accidentally sent General Gallieni as opposed to Gilbert Nabonnand. The color of GG on HMF is very similar to the rose my mom has, it is alphabetically close to GIlbert Nabonnand amongst Rogue Valley's teas, and its foliage looks very similar to the photos of GG on HMF as well.

I'll contact them about a possible mix up. It seems unlikely the rose we have is Gilbert Nabonnand, and it would be unlikely that they have Souvenir de Gilbert Nabonnand. It is most likely the General. How is General Gallieni in a coastal setting, Jeri? I think I've read posts where you mentioned it did well for you. Do you have a feel for its mature size?

Jay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here