jerome_gw

Young Lycidas

jerome
13 years ago

Anyone grow this rose? Do you like it?

Comments (16)

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    13 years ago

I love mine. Beautiful color, ordered another one this year. Looks beautiful next to Carding Mill.

• jerome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the response Alameda. Do you think it could build to a height of 4 feet or more, or is it a short plant? I agree that the color combo with Carding Mill (which I have) would be beautiful.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

alameda, could you please tell me where you obtained your YL? This is the only one of the new Austins that I'm in love with.

Ingrid

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    13 years ago

I ordered mine from David Austin. Their US warehouse is in Tyler, 2 hours from me, so I pick them up rather than have them sent. Always good plants - big and healthy! Last year was the first year for my YL so I cant really say how big it will get. It is healthy and though I didnt get to spray last year due to 2 knee surgeries, it did just fine and I am looking forward to beautiful blooms this year! From what I can tell....this is a very good rose.

• rosecorgis
    13 years ago

Jerome, order it! I love it. I have it in my front yard and passers by stop and ask what it is.

So far, mine is on the shorter side. I hope it stays that way because it's in the front garden. This is it's second year and the new growth is about 3 ft high right now. So far, it has kept a nice bush shape and hasn't done the octopus thing. I have it next to Sister Elizabeth and they make a pretty pair.

I ordered mine from David Austin. Came bare root with the hugest roots. It took off right away.

Debbie

13 years ago

Thank you, alameda. I've only ordered from David Austin once since I prefer own-root plants, but I agree with you and Debbie that they have huge roots and are healthy. I might have to make an exception just this once and order from David Austin again. Debbie, I also have Sister Elizabeth and am glad to know that someone else has it too. It doesn't seem to be a very well-known Austin but I really like it a lot.

Ingrid

• rosecorgis
    13 years ago

HI Ingrid. I'll try to remember to take a picture when they're blooming together.

I have Sister Elizabeth because you told me to get it, so I did. It's one of the few that stays on the small side in my heat. Plus, it's that beautiful cool pink.

• jerome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I wanted to get Sister Elizabeth too, but I've shied away from a lot of those "old rose hybrids" of Austin (Harlow Carr for example) because they do not do well in my micro-climate. I wish they did. I think it's a "not cold enough plus too dry" thing. Even though it's very late to plant bare-roots for us, (that time is December/January) I am very tempted to get this one now. I've planted a Pope John Paul II in June before and it's doing fine.

13 years ago

Jerome, I've had both Harlow Carr and Sister Elizabeth, and in my experience the former is more of a cold-weather rose than the latter, which is why I no longer have it. However, I did replant Sister Elizabeth in a spot with afternoon shade, which she seems to appreciate. Full sun all day did not suit this rose and I'm happy I had a partially shady spot, where her beautiful color stays intact.

Ingrid

• jerome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok all you folks....I've ordered the rose Young Lycidas. Hope it does well for me.

13 years ago

Good for you, Jerome. I'll be very interested to see how it does for you, since I have a similarly hot situation. Naturally we'll expect pictures sooooon.

Ingrid

• ms. violet grey
    11 years ago

I would love Young Lycidas. Must I wait until next spring to acquire her? I live in Houston.

• ilovemyroses
    11 years ago

mauvegirl8, I have planted bare root roses in dallas in the summer and haven't lost one, but I would wait til fall if you can. Or, if you do it now, just don't leave it. And I would not plant in the most scorching area of your yard. Check it daily and mulch well.

It is just a lot more trouble, LOTS MORE! to do it now!

• jerome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'd forgotten about this thread. Now - a year and some months later: Young Lycidas is a total champ in the gardens here. It blooms a lot; it is one of the most fragrant Austins I have; it has a pleasing growth habit; it's not huge. Great plant.

• michaelg
    11 years ago

The source line for the rose's name says,

"Young Lycidas is dead; dead ere his prime!"

So I wasn't expecting such good news.

11 years ago

Very funny, Michael. Hopefully our Lycidas will never pass his prime.