Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Robert's Wondrous Ruthie

Posted by ArbutusOmnedo 10/24 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 1:17

Can anyone chime in who has experience growing or regularly seeing Robert's Wondrous Ruthie? Apart from color, is it fairly similar to its seedling sister Jeri Jennings? There isn't much out there on this Barden introduction. I'm particularly interested in habit, frequency of rebloom, and rust/p.m. resistance. Thanks for any info.

Jay

This post was edited by ArbutusOmnedo on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 1:18

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Robert's Wondrous Ruthie

Mine is in a rather shady spot and competes with the roots of a highly successful weed tree that just won't die. So, I can tell you it is tough. It would probably bloom more if it had better conditions because there are usually a few flowers here&there except during the hottest weather.

o

If you hang around long enough, Paul Barden, the breeder, is a member here (Tprospero) and will tell you what you need to know.

o

HelpMeFind has a full-plant photo that seems to be of Barden's original plant. The growth habit looks like Rosa Multiflora - but in miniature - and absolutely PACKED with blooms. Very exciting color range in the blooms, IMHO. So... I'm guessing that it's a particularly graceful mounding shrub, of moderate size.

It seems NOT to be just another redundant pink Hybrid Musk, but instead seems to offer something unique, and a bit more refined.

o

Here's that pic. Wondrous is right!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wondrous

o

Oh I know it well! That picture is probably the main reason I was inspired to ask about this rose. It is really something in person I bet. Hopefully trospero will chime in. I hope he posts more recent full bush shots on HMF if that plant is still there. Maybe others will begin to post pictures in the future when their plants are more mature.

I have a young Jeri Jennings that is doing very well. If it keeps it up, I'll probably try RWR whether or not I hear from others.

Jay

o

Jay,
'R'sWR' is likely to be free of both Mildew and Rust in your region -- its weakness is Blackspot if that is something you are inclined to get a lot of. (This selection was donated as a fundraiser/auction plant for one of the SoCal rose groups, and so it was deemed appropriate for the SoCal climate, but would suffer too much Blackspot in many other climates)

My original plant never exceeded 5 feet tall and 7 feet wide, but it was planted in a very heavy clay, so a more forgiving soil would potentially result in a much larger specimen. It will always be an umbrella-shaped grower; wider than tall, arching and graceful. ('Jeri Jennings' is a much more upright plant in comparison)

And yes, it blooms like mad, but in distinct flushes. IE: big one in May and then more modest repeats for the rest of the year. Unlike some shrubs, it doesn't "shut down" during the warmest part of the summer - a trait no doubt passed on by 'Joycie'.

o

Well that answers everything I could want to know! Thank you so much Paul!

Dragon's Blood and Jeri Jennings have been excellent in Coastal So Cal so far. I gifted Pam's Choice to my mom for Mother's Day which she was very excited about. We just love your roses! Do you think Treasure Trail could do well about a mile from the beach? I know the HMF entry mentions that it is mildew resistant, which encourages me. Thanks again for all of the incredible work you've done.

Jay

o

RE 'Treasure Trail': It has been one of the best modern Mosses I have grown as regards Mildew resistance, but I wouldn't dare offer a statement about its performance in any climate other than my own. I would say that you will likely have a better experience with it than many others, but will it be 100% mildew-free? You may have to find out for yourself.

I'm glad you are trying 'Pam's Choice' -- it is a really neat color and quite sturdy for its color type :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here