Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbutusomnedo

Robert's Wondrous Ruthie

Can anyone chime in who has experience growing or regularly seeing Robert's Wondrous Ruthie? Apart from color, is it fairly similar to its seedling sister Jeri Jennings? There isn't much out there on this Barden introduction. I'm particularly interested in habit, frequency of rebloom, and rust/p.m. resistance. Thanks for any info.

Jay

This post was edited by ArbutusOmnedo on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 1:18

Comments (8)

• catsrose
    10 years ago

Mine is in a rather shady spot and competes with the roots of a highly successful weed tree that just won't die. So, I can tell you it is tough. It would probably bloom more if it had better conditions because there are usually a few flowers here&there except during the hottest weather.

• professorroush
    10 years ago

If you hang around long enough, Paul Barden, the breeder, is a member here (Tprospero) and will tell you what you need to know.

• plan9fromposhmadison
    9 years ago

HelpMeFind has a full-plant photo that seems to be of Barden's original plant. The growth habit looks like Rosa Multiflora - but in miniature - and absolutely PACKED with blooms. Very exciting color range in the blooms, IMHO. So... I'm guessing that it's a particularly graceful mounding shrub, of moderate size.

It seems NOT to be just another redundant pink Hybrid Musk, but instead seems to offer something unique, and a bit more refined.

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

Here's that pic. Wondrous is right!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wondrous

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh I know it well! That picture is probably the main reason I was inspired to ask about this rose. It is really something in person I bet. Hopefully trospero will chime in. I hope he posts more recent full bush shots on HMF if that plant is still there. Maybe others will begin to post pictures in the future when their plants are more mature.

I have a young Jeri Jennings that is doing very well. If it keeps it up, I'll probably try RWR whether or not I hear from others.

Jay

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well that answers everything I could want to know! Thank you so much Paul!

Dragon's Blood and Jeri Jennings have been excellent in Coastal So Cal so far. I gifted Pam's Choice to my mom for Mother's Day which she was very excited about. We just love your roses! Do you think Treasure Trail could do well about a mile from the beach? I know the HMF entry mentions that it is mildew resistant, which encourages me. Thanks again for all of the incredible work you've done.

Jay

• User
    9 years ago

RE 'Treasure Trail': It has been one of the best modern Mosses I have grown as regards Mildew resistance, but I wouldn't dare offer a statement about its performance in any climate other than my own. I would say that you will likely have a better experience with it than many others, but will it be 100% mildew-free? You may have to find out for yourself.

I'm glad you are trying 'Pam's Choice' -- it is a really neat color and quite sturdy for its color type :-)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County