Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

SFA University Arboretum Spring Sale

In Nacogdoches, Tx today.......a semi annual event that I will not miss - so many unusual plants I cant get anywhere else. Greg Grant, plantsman extrodinaire, put in some roses that he has found at different places and I got:
2 Satin Cream Tea - has a lovely off white bloom that is very delicate with lots of petals - foliage looks very healthy.
2 Big Momma's Blush - a cream blushed pink that Greg's grandmother grew
Queenie, a rambler
Farmers Dream - Greg's find - a climbing once blooming sport of Belinda's Dream
Scottsville Rose - oldest rose in Texas, once blooming, found near Marshal,Tx.
I had fun talking to Greg about these roses. He was also telling me the story about Nacogdoches Rose [Grandma's Yellow]. It was found at the old Stone Fort Motel growing under a big awning. He and another plant lover had been searching for a good yellow - non fading, healthy. They found this roses growing in a most unlikely place - under an awning, in shade. I recall going by there several times years ago, and stopping to see these roses - there was a very tall pink that I figured to be Queen Elizabeth but don't recall a yellow. They were in the peak of health - it was amazing considering the poor conditions they were surviving. Greg said the original plant is no longer there. For those of you who grow Nacogdoches, thought you might be interested in hearing how it came about. Next time I am in Nac - which will be soon as the Mize Azalea Garden is in full bloom - I am going by the old motel to see if any roses are still growing there.

There were lots of other plants at the sale - other than forgetting to get a black gum tree, there [there is always the fall sale] I got everything I wanted. Cant wait to get the roses potted up and let them stretch out and start growing!

For those of you in Texas who live close enough, the sale is really something! So many unique and interesting plants - of course I found some new things to try!
Judith