Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pictures of Your Rose Trellis's & Arbors ?

Posted by springvillegardens Zone 9 CA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 2, 07 at 3:12

Does anyone have pictures, successes and failure of, and construction suggestions on trellis's and arbors for their roses? Here is my Cecile Brunner arbor. I have a rebar arbor I want to put two climbing roses on - but am having second thoughts (from another thread) on it being strong enough to support climbing roses on either side.

I also have two climbing roses (Devoniensis and Richmond, Climbing), planted in front of my storage shed and want to get them to climb up the sides and wondered what to guide them with?
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pictures of Your Rose Trellis's & Arbors ?

This arbor looks just like the arbors my DH makes for me----
He uses treated wood and they have held up well so far.

Is that New Dawn on your arbor?

Florence

o

My husband just made me a spectacular cedar arbor that I have New Dawn with Nike Warsaw Clematis climbing with it on one side. It's a very large arbor so I thought I'd plant another rose on the other side to meet. Any suggestions? I have a tall Graham Thomas on a trellis near where the new rose would be. I was thinking Zephirine Drouhin. That cerise cherry color would pop next to Graham.
(Our old arbor snapped during the Dec. Windstorm, a cheapie PVC one, I was glad to get rid of it!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Arbor

o

springvillegardens - that is a lovely arbor, I like the dark wood, Cecile is shown off well against it. How did you support the posts, did you sink them in concrete?

Actually this is more of a pergola than an arbor, it is attached to the deck as you can see. Awakening is on one side, Maggie at the corner, and Goldflame honeysuckle on the shady west side with clematis Polish Spirit and John Huxtable mingling in. Sorry it's too early to see the blooms but you get the idea. Awakening has climbed the 15 ft. height and is now growing about another 10 ft horizontally along the top of the pergola. This after only two seasons.

On the southeast side of the house I have a metal trellis that had Reve d'Or and Devoniensis but they both died back to the ground last winter (still have hope though!) and I like the way it looks and works. It's about 10 ft. high and 9 ft. wide. It came black but I spray painted it brown to match all our other outside structures.

o

zeffyrose-the rose on my arbor is Cecile Brunner. On the south facing side I have pink jasmine but it got lots of frost damage this winter and is looking poorly. This picture is from last year. Cecile is just about to bloom for this year and I will post a new one - I pruned it this winter because it was taking over the inside - it looks more contained now but has just about covered the top - yeah - I need shade here in the summer.

I painted the wood to match the trim on my house. A dark grey. I am like the dark grey in the landscape because it seems to blend in and the plants stand out more. I put the posts in concrete and set them about 2.5 feet deep - we get a lot of wind so everything has to be in the ground really well - I also think the cross pieces help keep it stable. I have two rustic benches to sit on inside - one is hidden by the rose. I had to put in come more cross pieces down lower to keep the rose branches away from the benches.

linrose-I like the way you are matching all your colors - it really looks nice with your house. How do you find the honeysuckle - is it aggressive? I saw one at Target I almost got but thought it might be too aggressive. I had taken out a morning glory that I am still trying to get rid of - so I don't want to make the mistake of putting in something too aggressive again. I love your trellis - it looks great without anything growing on it - but I do hope your roses come back.

pacnwgrdngirl-I love the combination of the clematis and the rose. Is the picture of the old arbor - I can't even see it - can you fit in another rose - or is the new arbor a lot larger? Do you have a picture of it? I hate it when things break - half of our fence blew down last year and it was wood - it took forever to put it back up - we learned we should have mixed the concrete for the posts in a wheelbarrow and then put it in the fence post - not put the dry concrete in the hole and add water - it doesn't work very well that way.

Thanks for the posts.

I forgot about my arbor from pressure treated wood unpainted (this particular pressure treated came in the reddish brown color and I liked it so I left it - picture below) still trying to decide what to grow over it - it is an odd shape due to irrigation pipes I had to go around to install it and it ended up looking ok.

o

Here's the 10' tall trellis for Devoniensis and Sombreuil, just waiting for them to grow up and take it over.

And here's one of the arched gates - this one will be home to Etoile de Hollande.

This, home to Gloire de Dijon, is one of several rusted iron arches in the garden.

Sue

o

wow - your property is really spectacular springvillegardens. The mountains and the sky, even the light is special. Is that rosemary and lavender in front of that last arbor? So cool looking.

suze - that is one elegant trellis for Devi and Sombreuil. And Gloire looks like a contortionist - good job with the training!

o

Nice photos you got there everyone...

One question: how do you protect those climbing roses during the winter months? Do you need to cover them with a sheet of plastic etc?

o

jumbojimmy-my climate is warm enough that I don't have to protect my roses, but I do use ground cover cloth and a thick layer of bark on top of that to help in the summer heat.

linrose-yes that is standard rosemary and french lavender in my dedicated herb garden. We live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains and spring is spectacular here - soon everything surrounding us will turn brown for the summer - except I try to keep my little patch of green.

sue-I am so glad you posted all your arbors - makes me feel it is ok to add some more on my property (much to DH dismay) - I would love to see your arbors when the roses are in full bloom. The glorie de dijon - I have not seen canes like that without leaves - but my climate is warmer - and the leaves never quite die out completely. I'll bet it makes pruning easier to see just the canes. I am so glad you posted because I need help with pruning techniques for climbers and your glorie de dijon is quite an example for me.

o

springvillegardens - Your arbors and grounds are just beautiful! It looks like someplace you would take your vacation.

seattlesuze - Your arbors and gardens are very pretty too! Post a picture of your Gloire de Dijon when it's blooming. I would love to see it!

Here's a picture of my new arbor. It's a lot bigger. The ugly PVC one was here when we moved in. I'm glad the big Wind Storm blew it down.
New Dawn wasn't easy moving to the new arbor, is a wicked thorny monster!

Here is a link that might be useful: New Arbor

o

Hi there Springville...I know nothing about climbers, I just wanted to chime in that your photos are spectacular, and it looks like you live in one of the prettiest settings I can imagine.

Jerome

o

pacnwgrdngirl-your new arbor is great - what an accomplishment moving a full size climber - I just planted my two Joseph's Coat climbers today and I wouldn't want to transplant them if they were any bigger - for sure. No matter how careful I was I still got stuck all over. But the result is worth it when the roses bloom.

Jerome-thank you for the compliment on my photos. I really enjoy gardening and I love photography. I am still learning all the nuances of digital cameras. I used to use a Pentax but the battery door broke and I couldn't get a part for it - I must admit it is much more convenient without film. We are truly lucky with where we live now. The sky is so beautiful when big puffy clouds float by - of course you are seeing only what I have in the pictures - not all the weeds I need to pull - Ha!

o

FYI, the Gloire de Dijon was pruned and placed by Stephen Scanniello on his visit here in February. What delighted and surprised me about his pruning technique was that he made use of relatively large curves to the outside edges of the structure, pruned very tightly at the top and wound the canes around to the inside as well as covering the outside of the arch. Here's another example of his artistry, using Mme Hardy and Chapeau de Napoleon on the same tripod, great swooping graceful curves that made art out of the ordinary (celebrity sighting - that's Gwyneth Ballthrow walking past the roses):
Sue

o

Sue, I am SOOOOOOOO glad you posted the pictures of these "bare" roses pruned to fit your structures (rebar teepees, et al.) I have been doing something almost identical in my gardens and have been wondering if I'm doing it incorrectly. I've got about 35 of those rebar teepees popping up all over my yard. I think they're indespensable.

Robert

o

• Posted by debn 8b NW Florida (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 3, 07 at 7:54

Sue...PLEASE....post a picture when those roses are in bloom!!! I love the way the canes are "swooped" around.

The tripod has given me some glorious ideas.....I have been self-pegging some of my roses.

I love the celebrity sighting!!!!

Deb :o))

o

Royal Sunset grows here.

Hosting provided by FotoTime

This goes across the back of the house. Taken in early spring last year. Buff Beauty grows on the left (can't see in this picture), Don Juan and Kathleen grow in the two poles in middle and MAC is growing from the side of the yard, but have pulled some canes over.

Hosting provided by FotoTime

I have on more rusted metal arch similar to Seattle Sues where Etoile d'Holland and Easlea's Golden Rambler grow.

Carol

o
Mine and linrose

Linrose, that arbor on your deck is drop dead gorgeous. Did you have it custom made?

Also the metal one with the lattice, can you still get those? If so, where. I never saw any like that.

I've posted mine umpteen times it seems, will just post the one, it's weathered a little over the winter, and I have a smaller one just like it near the back steps.

There are some other gorgeous ones on this thread, too. I wish we could have an arbor catalog here! I save photos of ones I like. Somebody posted one with double lattice tied to PVC pipe, looked like regular lattice only smaller slats w/diamond shape only doubled. I've not been able to find any lattice like that.

We've had a lot of wonderful arbor threads, that one where cuplady I think it was learned to weld her own and her designs was to die for. Somebody posted one almost exactly like it.

o

• Posted by luanne z9,Richmond CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 3, 07 at 14:34

Well I only stopped by to laugh at the celebrity sighting--hhoohaaaa Sue and to mention that Carol welded those pretty things with her own pretty hands and designed them and you should see them in full bloom!Over to the far right is a beautiful gate you can't see.
la

o

Thanks, aliska for the comments on our pergola - actually my DH and I built that deck and pergola two summers ago. We had a lot of help from books and the internet, when we were done the neighbors came around and said "we don't build 'em like THAT around here" and I took that as a compliment. I remember one afternoon in my t-shirt, shorts, bandana, and goggles chopping the ends off the joists with a circular saw, glancing up to see my neighbor laughing and shaking her head at me! Of course I probably was a sight with all the sawdust in my hair and sticking to every sweaty pore on my body!

I got the metal trellis from Gardeners' Supply, I don't think they carry them anymore because I tried to get more this winter and I believe they've been discontinued. In my experience it's difficult to find inexpensive, yet quality prefabricated trellises and arbors.

o
linrose

The design of the wooden one is stunning. The neighbors were probably blown away, I don't know what the parts are called, but the extra details just make it a masterpiece. I'm in awe, my mind was going a mile a minute trying to figure out where I could put something like that. There isn't anyplace left where it would fit, and a smaller one wouldn't be the same. Your description is so comical!

Anticipating your answer about the metal trellis, hoping you'd check back and find my questions and did!, thank you muchly, I decided to sign up for a welding course. I found a couple, one is $1124 + $100 for protective gear. I'll see what the other one is. I have to pick the right type of welding, think it is MIG but will check further. They said I could enroll at my age, won't say what it is lol.

As if that isn't bad enough, I called my granddaughter to find out if her bf has any welding equipment, no, and she wants him to take the couse with me. I will be a laughingstock, but I don't care at this point.

Blacksmithing runs in the family generations ago. I walked in a shop to see something my son was having custom fabricated and "felt" something a couple years ago, said if I had another life to live, that is what I would do. And grow things. Those rails in my photo I had them custom made for me (probably used stock parts for most of the job) and one longer one in the back, very costly.

Never imagined I'd actually do something about it. Maybe I won't be able to do it, but I'm giving it my best shot.

o

What a great rose trellis & arbor collection.

Oh, yes, Carol, you did a fantastic job with that trellis. I bet your Royal Sunset is fantastic. Can we have pictures when it is in full bloom?

o

Mine is pretty humble yet... and I will have to try to arrange my Constance Spry like Sue has hers. Might be harder though, as Constance has very stiff thorny canes.

My husband made this for me.

I know these are not the best pictures, but they give you an idea.

Here is a picture before the roses grew up on it.

And these next ones are from last year.

o

madspinner, that's more than humble to me - your husband did a great job. what a beautiful victorian or cottage style arbor - it looks great with the roses growing up it. Is that Constance Spry on the arbor - it looks darker than I would have expected? I love how you have incorporated all the perennials in with your rose arbor.

I am really thinking I want a couple more arbors in my yard. I just went over to one of my neighbor's last night and she has an arbor with Banksia on it where she has pruned windows into the roses to she can look out from her picnic table covered arbor - it was a great effect. I'll have to bring my camera over there to take a picture.

aliska, go for the welding class - can't wait to see what you create. That is one expensive class - what about a class at a college? I guess the cost is worth it though considering you are learning a trade.

o

Here are a couple of my newest structures. The circular one is modified after the one at Mottisfont...the other is a pergola to accomodate some climbing Noisettes I had to have...

Robert

o

springvillegardens-

Constance Spry is on the right of the picture and is only starting to bloom. The rose on the left is a mystery rose I'm particularly fond of, and not actually a climber. Thanks for the compliments.

o

Everyone's photos are lovely! Springville your arbor is really beautiful. I predict though that 2 Ceciles(unless maybe they're the large shrub variety will completely engulf it. I have 3 Ceciles. They are mountains of growth. We have many arbors and trellises here(none as pretty as yours) Here is the long pergola(52ft). There are 20 roses on it.
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
This is a cheap pergola from Charlie's Greenhouse catalog. We find that they do OK if set in cement. That's Iceberg(climbing)

This is one of a series of arches. These were very cheap things from Rite Aid. They are falling apart and mostly held up by the roses.

o

I've got a friend who decided to make trellises,, got a website, but the whole thing really never flew. He's quite the gardener, but he only ever saw roses in Montana. They're much smaller.
His trellises are beautiful, but maybe too small.They're fairly pricey. He hoped to sell them to public gardens.
Anyway, they're beautiful, and he does custom work, too.
Me, I've got the tomato cage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystic Trellis

o
Robert,

That is so awesome. You have made progress. It looks gorgeous. I'm doing something similar, hope you don't mind I borrowed your idea, on the top of my long terrace in back, for beauty, and in lieu of privet, or other screen, I think it will provide a screen but still maintain somewhat of an open look.

I thought I asked you before and maybe you didn't see my question. When you put posts up like that, I would want a different rose, two matching (or something complementary) on each metal arch, hopefully getting tall enough to meet at the middle.

That means do you plant one rose on each side of the posts and they share a common post until you train one to go one way and the other to go another? Sorry I'm kind of dumb about some things.

o

Aliska, not quite sure what you're asking (nor whom you're asking it of) but I'll jump in and say that I'd never waste an arch or tripod on one rose if I can help it. Although as Pam says, Cecile Brunner would be the HUUUUUGE exception to that rule. On my arch with Gloire de Dijon, Alister Stella Gray is climbing on the opposite side with the intention of meeting in the middle. However, GdD's vigor will probably eat up more than its share of space and I won't cry over it a minute! On the smaller tripods, tuteurs and towers, there are always at least two plants and often three (usually clematis and a rose) but since Stephen visited, I'm thinking multiple roses crossing a structure in the center. It should add a feeling of abandon and musicality to the garden when you see the sweeping canes in bloom.

And Bluesibe, when I see you next week, one of my first questions will be about how you learned to weld and what my next steps should be. Your structures are all the more beautiful for your creativity.

Sue

o

mendocinerose, oh - that long pergola must be really something with all those roses in bloom. The arches are quite beautiful too. You are correct this year the Cecile's, even after pruning, are taking over the whole thing - so my arbor won't be visible for very long - at least it is sturdy. I will have to prune it multiple times a year - will that hurt the blossoms for the next year? I wanted a rose to cover quickly and that's what I got. Perhaps I can add on to that arbor and train them to go further in the other direction.

robert, boy you really have some great arbors you are building there. Can't wait to see your Mottisfont planted with roses.

seattlesuze, I will have to get brave and try using more than one rose on a structure, perhaps on the pressure treated one. It is about 10 feet across at the top and I could put four different roses one on each corner - they will have to be tough though since it is really hot and dry up on that spot - maybe not as tough as Cecile though - now I see I am going to have a time keeping it under control.

Such lovely arbors from everyone - it really helps to see the variety of roses planted on the various structures.

o

I'm with Sue about putting more than one plant on each structure...I often pair a once bloomer with a continual bloomer (e.g., I have Chevy Chase (vigorous once bloomer) on a tripod and I've added the Noisette Belle Vichysoisse to it to add continuous bloom once Chevy Chase is finished. I also have a clematis on each arch or tripod to add color (and leaves in some cases) to them.

I did make a huge entrance arch with a New Dawn on each side (only one variety of rose) but I'll add a different variety of clematis on each side..

When I find that one rose is getting eaten up too badly by the more aggressive one, I'll dig up the smaller/weaker rose and move it somewhere else.

I'm finding that the descriptions about the ultimate size of mature roses that I read in the books vary so much depending on location, that I have to just try them myself...hope I didn't ramble too much.

Robert

o

About Cecile. I remember Missy saying that she had her son get up on a ladder and trim hers with an electric hedge trimmer once a year. I'm ashamed to say that I've given up trimming mine except for getting it out of the pathway. It's just beyond me. Once we had a late snow and the rebar entrance arch holding one of the Ceciles fell flat on it's face. I cried until Michael hauled it upright with the truck and propped it up with wood. That was 4 or 5 years ago.

o
seattlesuze

Yes, that's what I meant. One rose on each side of each post. They will have to share the same post climbing up to the arch, then one goes one way, the other goes onto the other arch.

They can mix, or match, I'm in no position to think of what even to put in there at this point, but I think my Mottisfont project will soon be started, think I found a guy to till and set the posts for me and other garden projects. I can't do all the hard work myself.

I'm using cedar posts, I'm thinking setting them 5' apart. Does that sound about right? I'll have to figure it right as to length because if they are too short, you can't put it back on.

I don't think I want them quite a tall as Roberts, but they will need to handle a robust rose, so maybe I will need the posts and arches taller than I think, and I will have to figure enough to set them in concrete below the frost line the required depth which I've forgotten, just read it somewhere.

o

Aliska,
My posts are about 5 ft a part from each other. I've planted a BIG rambler on ever other wooden post. They are alternating in blue (Violette, Bleu Magenta, Veilcheinbleu, and Rose Marie Viaud)..I also have three white ramblers (Felicite Perpetue, Adelaide d'Orleans, and another...maybe Alberic Barbier). The wooden posts in between I've put apricot colored Tea/Noisettes which I've been told on this forum, will NOT get large enough to cover the structure as I had intended (Gloire de Dijon, Kaiserin Freidrich, Ley's Perpetual, Duchesse d'Aurstadt, etc). I've put smaller roses in the odd spaces...and catmint below. Wish us luck.

Robert

o
Oh Robert,

Thank you for responding. I thought 5' about right. You are in a different zone, so my frost line will be deeper.

I do so wish you luck. There will no doubt be disappointments along the way, but your color scheme sounds beautiful.

I'm going to have to put careful thought into what kind of roses to put in there, I want big ones, repeat bloomers, and would like white, shades of pink and deep pink, maybe certain shade of red, then fill in with other colorful things in between, since I'm pinched for room, I will probably put smaller roses and get some more color there with apricot, etc., like you have. That's about as far ahead as I can think.

When it gets done, it will probably be sometime in June, the shop isn't sure about bending the rebar, they want everything set up before they come out to look at it . . .so I'll try to get it that far.

I'm so excited for you. You are an inspiration, as others, there's so many beautiful planting schemes on this thread. Did you set the posts in regular concrete mix or that stuff you pour in and dump in water. I'm thinking use the regular.

I'm just getting ready to print out the two photos I saved so I can show the guy and the shop how it is to be.

I'm going to have to think really hard about the roses, maybe olga will help me find the right ones for the main show. I remember when you asked advice and were choosing your roses, but you were so far ahead of me, I didn't know the names anyway. Veilchenblau I have ordered for another spot, so I don't think I'll put one there but may want another one for up against the garage. I have to be careful not to take on too much, don't know how much watering I'm going to have to do.

I'm probably going to have to set up an above-ground irrigation system. I was asking my son about his. He says it sprays his Knockout and other plantings. I said I know that is a tough rose, but I would want too much water getting on the leaves especially in the hot sun. So many things to think about.

I'm confused about ramblers and climbers. I want to cover as much of all the arches as possible.

o

Here's a couple of mine, taken before the big freeze we are going to have tonight.
We built this one with 4x4s, then used 1"x2"s to make the trellising.
These are just 4x4s with cattle panel attached. The roses are only 2 years old, in a couple of more years we won't be able to see the cattle pannel. It doesn't get much cheaper than this.
The pictures are kind of distorted. It's hard to see, but the panels are zig zagged along one side of the rose garden.
Carrie

o

That looks so lovely and peaceful, Carrie.

o

I really like the idea of using cattle panels....I guess they're the same as hog panels, right?....

Aliska, I just set my landscaping timbers into the ground...They'll probably rot and I'll cross that bridge probably sooner than I want....On my pergola, I set the 6x6 posts into concrete that we mixed before placing it in the holes...that structure is much sturdier.

Robert

o
Robert,

Yeah, I wish I could do that, but mine are going in concrete and I'm using cedar. Now I have to find out the frost line here. I don't want them heaving the first winter and looking crooked, anything can always happen, tree limb could come down and take a couple out.

I'd just stick mine in the ground, but you can DIY, and I'm going to have to pay to have the heavy parts done.

OK, here's a thought. On my photo forum somebody had a bird feeder, I wanted one, long story, guy sent me plan for what I would describe as a "baffle" box. He buried his cedar post deep into that, about 16 inches as I remember.

The hardware store put the cedar box together for me for $6, and I'll need at least 6 to 8 of those, but maybe that might be the thing to do for me, more expensive, but if they have to be dug out again and straightened/maintained, less hassle than concrete deep in the ground. I could cut and screw myself if I had to but would rather not because I'm not that accurate of a driller and have to hand saw, my circular saw is gone, son probably has something to do with that.

The box is square with a 4" X 4" opening for the post, with what is supposed to be about 1-1/2 to 2 inches sticking out on each corner (my calculations were off by about 3/4" as I neglected to factor in the width of the boards), about 1' tall. That's to keep it from twisting in the ground and help stabilize, never heard of such a thing before. The guy who buried it for me really packed the dirt in tight around it.

I can't remember what the lumber for the box cost, not that bad for one and I have to pay $.50 a cut, you can cut yourself, but would add up more for me, and I don't use big box store lumber for key projects. The cedar post was cut to spec for me and was about $17. I think I'll just use the measurements for that, it looks about right.

If they bend the rebar right, there shouldn't be much side pressure against the posts.

I don't mean to denigrate your landscaping timbers because your roses are going to hide that anyway, you get things done faster, but I just love the look of cedar, and I'm going to have to look at bare posts for who knows how long until I can get some roses selected, bought and going on them.

I just love that arbor you built; it's gorgeous and looks rock solid, looks like you did use different lumber for that, can't tell what it is, looks like cedar somewhat.

I hope I get to see photos when you get things growing up there. You'll be having neighbors and garden lovers wanting to visit your garden up close and personal :-).

o

Looking back over my post I can see that I didn't mention that the 4x4s were set in concrete. But my situation is different than yours in that I don't have to worry about the frost heave since I'm in a different zone and they are 2 feet into the ground which is below our frost line. I was mainly worried about the weight of the roses and the effect of wind. I made a 300 pound man climb it and try to wiggle it to make sure it was sound!
Ceder would be much prettier. Cost is a big factor for me, or else I would prefer to use ceder. Not just for the looks, but for the resistance to rot. All of the timber we used were pressure treated pine, even on the arbor. That price for cedar sounds really good - I've never seen it for so cheap down here.
No need to worry about offending me. I visited some mature rose gardens and saw how the beautiful structures were completely hidden by plants and decided that cheap and functional is better than expensive, especially since we can't afford expensive! I am planning on building another, much much longer trellis just like this, going down the side of the orchard. But that's a project for next winter. For now I'm just collecting the climbers to go on it.
I'm no engineer and can't really speak for how well the baffle box would work. Sounds good, but what do I know? Try not to disturb the soil on either side of the box as you are putting them in, because packing soil is just an illusion of strength. 50 years from now the soil you moved will still be considered "disturbed" and will be less stable than undisturbed soil. Disturbed soil will be less likely to hold up to the wind if the trellis is being rocked. That's just something I've learned from doing trenching work. We have to protect the men in the hole and have to consider the soil as disturbed even if the earth was moved in the 20s to install the original water line.
Carrie

o

The pictures on this thread are just breathtaking. Cweathersby, your garden looks lovely. I wonder if I would be able to get cattle panels in the Denver area. I'm thinking maybe I could use something like that to put between some trellises I put in last summer. I have a small back yard, about 45' by 36'and the trellises are against an east-facing fence in a pretty sheltered area.
Here is a picture:Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

do you think I could simply attach the cattle panel to the existing fence posts and/or the trellises? I think I need something between each trellis for the roses to climb on. Or would I need to buy 4x4's and sink them in concrete? I just can't figure out how I would do it. I would have to get someone to help me or hire someone as I am a single retired woman, and not very handy at that. Or is there some other better alternative? I would appreciate any advice any of you have.

Thanks,

Marlene

o

I went to Idaho for a week and found a ton more emails from this thread.

Carrie - for your enclosed rose arbor I can just picture myself sitting in there enjoying the roses - how did you make the circular wood part? The cattle panel trellis - what a great idea - that will be really spectacular when it is all covered. How did you attach the cattle panels to the wooden posts? Cattle panels might have been sturdier than the rebar panels I used for my metal arbor.

I am glad to see others know about mixing concrete first and then putting it into the whole for posts - it really makes a difference. We get some high winds here and the whole thing can be blown over if not put in correctly. We don't get the frost heaving here but wind can be just as destructive.

My roses along the fence were looking so good and we had two days of rain and lots of them were knocked over with the weight of the rain - perhaps today they will look a little better. I am going to post some of them on the identification forum to see if others can identify them - they were planted by a previous ownwer. So far those identified were Midas Touch, Angle Face, Mr. Lincoln and Double Delight. I am amazed at those who can identify roses - there are so - so many.

Marlene, cattle panels would work - I am not sure of their cost or how much they weigh - but you might be able to utilize the rebar panels - like I did on my metal arbor and use fence clips to attach to your wood fence. Those fence clips are hard to hammer in - I tried hanging a metal rooster display to my potting shed with them and could hardly get them to go in. Perhaps someone with knowledge about fence clips could clue me in on how to get them to penetrate the wood?

Robert, you are right about not using expensive materials - my cecile is covering up my arbor and I could have gotten away with a lot less money and utilized it elsewhere in the garden - if I had only asked here beforehand.

o

Here are 2 structures that I made. For the large curved one, I sank pressure treated wood 4 x 4's and then "wrapped" it in cedar planks. The top is just curved cedar board and this picute was actually taken before I put 18" 2x2 pieces across the top. I think I spaced them about 16" apart. I moved before my rose made it across the top so unfortunately I dont have pics with it covered. This wasnt a hard job but does require 2 people/ladders.

The white one was easy as pie. Simply 2x2's cut to size, then painted well on all sides, then assembled.

The one in the very back was all cedar, purchased from a garden shop for wayyy too much money....but it was a nice one ;o)

Ronda

o

Ooops..I did find one with the top completed:

o

Marlene,
You may be able to purchase cattle panel up there. I found mine at Tractor Supply. I would think that any store geared towards farmers would carry it. Without being there and seeing the fence first hand, I can't tell you for sure whether it would work. Two potential problems. 1) The existing fence may not be quite sturdy enough to handle the weight of cattle panel + mature roses. 2) The fence being so close will prevent air circulation and the roses may be more succeptible to blackspot. But you could always try it and see. You could use the cattle panel as an aid to training the climbers horizontally. It sure will muck up the look of your existing trellises, though. Another possible alternative: maybe you could attach eye hooks to the fence and tie the rose canes to those. That would let you train the roses horizontally without putting in an eyesore like the cattle panel. OR maybe your climbers will have flexible enough canes to let you wind them up the trellises that you have.

Springvillegardner,
I don't know how the circular part was made. My dad and brother did that part. I had made the rest but got stuck on exactly how I would get wood to bend to make a circle!
The cattle panel was attached to the 4x4s by those big huge U shaped nails. I don't know what they are called, just looked at Lowe's until I found something that would work.
For anyone looking for cattle panel, the only size I've ever seen is 4' x 16'. I cut them in half to make 4'x8' sections. So it only took 4 sheets of it to make a 32' "wall" along the garden. At $14 each that only comes to $56. Of course the 4x4s and concrete made the total cost of the project add up to more than that, but the whole project cost less than my one metal arbor that leads into the enclosed rose garden.
Carrie

o

Thanks, Carrie and springvillegardens for your helpful ideas. Springvillegardens, what is rebar panel? You mentioned I might be able to use rebar panel.

And Carrie, I like your idea of eye hooks. That might work, especially if I use long ones that extend out a bit, if there are such things. I hadn't thought about the cattle panels mucking up the look of my trellises, because I was visualizing them being covered up with roses. But that would take a long time, if they ever grow that much. The roses don't get a lot of sun, six hours at the most. I was just thinking about training them to grow horizontally. Maybe I could just get some galvanized wire and string it from one trellis to another in a few places. Or do you think that would look tacky? Also, I thought of getting some pieces of simple lattice to go between the trellises, maybe paint them brown, and they wouldn't have to extend completely between the trellises. I think I'll just kind of play it by ear and see how much they grow this summer. They are own-root roses; don't they grow more slowly?

One more thing: linrose, I was wondering how you sunk the lattice that you spray-painted brown on the side of your house, into the ground? Did you anchor it in cement or something? I think it is a very attractive lattice.

You all have such beautiful gardens. I hope maybe someday mine will look halfway as great.

Thanks all,

Marlene

o

Has anyone regretted painting a trellis or arbor? What is the upkeep?

o

o

What a great thread with lots of fantastic ideas. Here's an update on the Gloire de Dijon arch, filling in nicely and loaded with buds.

Sue

o

Love the rainbow!
alida

o

I agree...you can't get that at Home Depot!!

o

Would you believe I brought it back from Oregon? No? Marji took it while I was on the road coming home. We actually drove through the end of a rainbow in Corvallis, all gleaming with the refracted colors. That was incredible and then I came home to this photograph on my desktop. Serendipity. Oops! Back to the arbors and trellises...

o

Sue, what a great shot, a curved arbor and a rainbow overhead.

ronda_in_carolina, what a beautiful rose, what is it's name? Also, what type of wire mesh is that on the trellis?

Marlene, I got the panels at Home Depot in the same section that the rebar is kept. They may not be called rebar panels, I think they are used to put in concrete to strengthen it. They came in 4x8 sections which meant I didn't have to cut them to use them for my metal arbor. Here is a picture of the metal arbor. The panels are wired around the rebar. I built the metal arbor last year and just planted a Joseph's Coat rose on either side. I have got to get an updated photo - I redid my perennial bed adjacent also and it looks much better - actually got most of those weeds pulled out.

o

springville....I don't be a partypooper...but the arbor in the photo above IS DEFINITELY gonna need more support. I love the effect of it, but, once the roses add some weight to it..it's gonna be history. It may be able to support some annual vines (moonflower, black-eyed susan vine, morning glories, etc).

Robert

o

Wow Sue, what a shot! Driving through the end of the rainbow was really cool. My visa card tells me that the pot of gold was sitting behind our back seat :)

My rebar arbors are plenty strong. They are made from 5/8ths and set in concrete. The climbers desperately need pruning so they are HUGE and HEAVY. Those arbors don't even waver under the weight.
Cheryl

o

Robert, I actually built that arbor for my perennial morning glory, if you look real close on the left side of the arbor you will see the morning glory, but... after I built the arbor, in my warmer zone 9 the morning glory started taking over everything, my perennial bed, the dry creek bed and so I had to take it out (and I am still finding roots and sections coming up all over the place) so then I planted hardenbergia and we got down to 15 this winter and about a month of colder than normal temperatures and the hardenbergia didn't survive, so I have just planted the Joseph's Coat roses on either side. The arbor actually has made it through two wind storms of 40 mph winds but the wind direction is through the arbor rather than against it (I kept the prevailing wind direction in mind when I orginally put the arbor up). But I do have some landscape timbers I can strap to the sides if it starts to get too rickety. The rebar uprights are hammered into the ground with a T post driver and I put an 18 inch length of iron pipe in the ground and then hammered the rebar into that. So we shall see how long the arbor remains stable.

I saw on HGTV one time where someone built a curved rebar arbor with the rebar long enough to span both sides - a curved or arched structure might be stronger than a rectangular one - but I don't know where to get rebar that long or have a way to haul it.

I just took an updated picture of my rebar arbor today - the Joseph's Coat is about 2/3 the way up on each side of the arbor with a few sparse canes - here it is. I took this picture from the other direction, so the perennial bed I had to redo is on the right hand side of the arbor.

o

Cheryl, do you have any photos of your rebar arbors you could post? I would love to see them. Thanks

o

Here are some pics from 2005. The first is of a section of the trellis that is along the entire back yard fenceline. The roses have grown up a lot since then, but this older pic shows the trellising itself better. They are arbors, opened up and run as trellising. I have three of them set up as arbors as well.

Front corner (Zephy, w/ Constance Spry in the background)

My front arbor in 2005 - Crepuscule on the near side, Jaune Desprez on the other - much bigger now, lol):

But here's 'Seagull' and 'Old Blush, Cl.' on my favorite "trellis" of all (an old Italian Prune tree):

All my trees have roses in them - that's what they're for, right?

o

I used fencing from Home Depot and I believe it was called 'Economy' ?? Any will work. The rose is crepuscule...beautiful!!

It was easy to build. You need 2 12' foot 4x4s and one 6' 4x4. Cut the 6 foot in half. You will use L-bars to attach the cross beams so you wont have to worry about drilling through a 4x4. I used a staple gun to fasten the screening and added 2 finials to the top.

HTH

o

Cheryl, great to hear from you on the forum. Were you able to figure out how to use Photobucket so that we can see your arbors? I'll post an image from your garden in the meantime. You're sure to have better images - I can't find my file from your garden anywhere. Guess that means I'm on my way to your house in June!

Sue

o

Thanks for posting that photo Sue! Here are a couple more. The first was taken the year after they were installed and the second photo was taken last year. My husband made 6 of them for me along with various other supports. He thought the 5/8 rebar would be hard to bend but it wasn't afterall. You can kinda see from the photo how heavily laden with roses they are and they are plenty strong. In the second photo Bleu Magenta is on the left, Francois Juranville in the middle and Leontine Gervais is on the right. Various mosses are in the foreground.
Cheryl

o

Cheryl, thank you for posting those. Your allee is wonderful. Sue I like your shot through the arbor too. Cheryl, did your husband weld the bars between the two pieces of rebar - that looks so nice.

Robin, I love how you used arbors as a trellis on the chain link - what a good idea. And your roses in the trees are so beautiful - that Seagul must light up the shade - I don't have enough shade around here for that one, but maybe some day. I can just make out your sign - stop and smell the flowers - how cute. My husband said he wants to put up a sign in my garden "Weeds free, you pick" - I might just take him up on it.

Someone asked about upkeep and painting of arbors - I painted mine, but as you can see below, I am not worried about painting it again - it will soon be overtaken by the rose and that is just fine - more shade for summer. I do prime and paint my wood though - so the wood lasts longer and the priming helps to keep it from peeling.

Here's my Cecile Brunner's this year:

o

I must be missing something or just dumb, but all I get when I click the above PhotoBucket links is their home page. Can't figure out how to get to the pics. Sorry, in need of remedial education, I guess.

o

Me too. . . Would love to see the photos on PhotoBucket but I get the same thing Sherryocala gets. All remedial education appreciated :-).
Cat

o

Yes, this is a timely thread! I have 3 climbers and am trying to figure out what to build for them to climb. Space is not a problem. I am concerned if I go the low cost route, i.e. cattle panel/wire, it will look ugly most of the year. And an evergreen vine would take over. How do you all cope w/ how it looks in the winter? And, do you have any trouble w/ your trellis bending from the weight? Two of these climbers are supposed to be a minimum of 10 ft. Brandy
BTW, I can't access those pics either.

o

ok the honey bunches of oats pop up, made my post disappear and this is the second time I am trying to post this.

Sorry, I cleaned up my photobucket account and didn't realize this post was till going - so here are links to the photos again. If you want to use my photos, please ask, It just irks me to see my photos in magazines with other people's names on them. Thx. Cecile Brunner is on a strong wooden arbor, Joseph's Coat isn't so agressive, hence the rebar arbor.

When I take more pictures I will post photos of own root climbing Devoniensis and Madam Alfred Carriere - this year they are finally climbing up to go over my storage shed/potting shed - this might have been a mistake - I wanted some shade on that building and wanted it to look kind of overgrown and cottagy - may be getting more than I bargained for.

Hopefully you can access these photos this way - if not please let me know. thx.

Cecile Bunner in 2006
http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e3/springvillegardens/?action=view¤t=cecilebrunnerrosearbor.jpg
Cecile Brunner in 2007
http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e3/springvillegardens/?action=view¤t=cecilebrunner22007.jpg
Joseph's Coat rebar arbor
http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e3/springvillegardens/?action=view¤t=rebarrosearbor.jpg
Herb Garden pergola newly planted with a type of jasmine vine, the hargengerbia didn't like last winter's cold snap.
http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e3/springvillegardens/?action=view¤t=herbgardenpergola.jpg

o

Looking forward to your shed photos, since I'm trying the same thing with Cramoisi Superieur CL. But I have a long way to go yet.
Thanks for the pictures. Very educational.

o

It's so easy to imbed a photo in your messages. (For those who aren't as familiar with posting photos from photobucket, here's your 'remedial education', as suggested by rivercat.) I find it easier if I have my album open in a separate browser window -- that way I can click back and forth. Click on the line under your chosen photo that says 'html tag'. This automatically copies it to your clipboard. Click back over to here to your composition, and paste. It's that easy.

o

springvillegardens - thanks for the links... your Cecile Bunner looks floriferous...definitely going to order that next year.

o

As to how it looks in winter ...
Actually, my rose garden is located a little ways from the house, so I don't remember how it looked in winter. If it looks bad then I wouldn't have thought about it one way or the other since it's not in my face. I actually surrounded the rose garden by evergreens so that I wouldn't have to see those leafless thorny canes during the winter time.
But I built a 2nd rose garden closer to the house and used cattle panel in it also, so I guess if it's ugly then I'll just have to deal with it.
BTW, I think that if you used 4x4s on each side and then across the top that it wouldn't look VERY bad, even in winter. The part going across the top would give a finished look to it.
Strength wise; I got a 300+ pound friend to climb to the top of the trellis and try to shake it when it was 1st built. It didn't move. That baby isn't going anywhere.

o

Thank you CW. That's a good idea about the 4x4's, and a hedge. Maybe I could plant a low one around the outside of the bed. Also, I could use that green-coated vinyl wire- that would blend in better. I don't know how much more expensive it would be. Here, that wire is 50.00 for a 50 ft. roll that is 4 ft tall. Brandy

o

Wow, what beautiful structures everyone has! You are all a very creative bunch of rosarians.
Here is one that I built with 4x4s set in concrete, 4x6 "lintel", and copper trellises on the sides. I still have not put the cross pieces on the top.
Closer view:
The trellis:
Now I'm working on an "allee" made with rebar arches mounted on 4x4 posts. I really like Cheryl and mendocinorose's tunnel/allees, too. And awesome double rainbow Sue! Did you see the faint second rainbow outside of the first? That is so cool that you saw the end of one. I always wondered what they look like.
-Stephanie

o

That is really impressive, Stephanie. What an artistic trellis! Looks great even w/ nothing growing on it. Brandy

o

Thanks, Brandy! I was pretty proud of how it turned out.
-Stephanie

o

I just finished putting this up over the week-end. It was my first one that I've built.

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL767/2726312/18209750/312357436.jpg
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL767/2726312/18209750/312357444.jpg
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL767/2726312/18209750/312357464.jpg

o

Does anyone know where I can find a free pattern for a wood arbor and trellis that would be very study for a Cecile Brunner? I have a Georgian house built in 1947 and want to maintain the character of the house throughout the garden

o

Somehow I missed this first time around. I was away alot in April.

I made this one from lumber for about $50. Don't notice the clunkiness when it is covered in vines. If I had it to do over, I would have made it wider.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

That's really nice, Harry. Is that only one rose and is that rose Westerland?
molly

o

Thanks Molly. There is a Westerland on each side. There is also two young Betty Corning clematis - note small blue flowers.

o

Lurker here. I don't even grow antique roses, but I did just finish building a pergola with a swing.
Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here