Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adam_harbeck

Tipsy Imperial Concubine bush

Adam Harbeck
9 years ago

Does anyone have any snaps of the bush? I have googled and googled but can only find images of individual flowers. What does the actual bush/foliage look like?

Thanks,
Adam

Comments (41)

• tuderte
    9 years ago

Hi Adam, I couldn't find any images of TIC bush either, I don't know if it's of any use to you but in 'Tea Roses - Old Roses for Warm Gardens' when describing the rose it says -

'even in warmer climates like Australia, where it is a vigorous grower if conditions are suitable, 'Tipsy' does not grow tall. This is because the branches come away from the base, so that it never builds up the framework necessary to give height and remains a spreading bush. The rich purplish brown new growth is an outstanding feature of this rose .

Hope that's of some help. Tricia

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

Adam, You'll have to excuse me for not getting this photo for you yet. First it was raining and then I wasn't home. I'll try to get out today and take a shot.

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

Here's what I took this morning. You can see it is very upright. It has never been very vigorous but it's fine. The blooms are beautiful if they haven't been spoiled by weather.

• jaspermplants
    9 years ago

Mine is over five feet tall and very healthy in my climate. Sorry I don't have any pictures as I'm terrible at trying to post them and just don't have the patience to go thru the ordeal of doing it. The bush has a pretty upright growth pattern, pretty much like a hybrid tea. The bush itself is not particularly attractive but the blooms are gorgeous and fragrance is wonderful. I love it and would not be without it. I think it likes a dry climate as it balls with any moisture or humidity (we don't have much of either here)

Hope this helps some. Get it if you have a dry climate!

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone!
    I like that elegant twiggy, red-tinged tea/china foliage. Some modern roses can look so coarse.
    I picked up a Tipsy yesterday and potted ger into a big (50l I guess) tub with plenty of cow manure, tea bags and banana skins worked into the mix.
    She has a few fat buds on her, hopefully she isnt stressed and they dont blast.
    We have dry summers, so if shes truly continuous I'll have good flowers over the warm months :)

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Adam, please do post photos during bloom time. Your garden sounds lovely! I want to enjoy all those tea roses that are a tad too soggy in Portland, Oregon. Carol

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

I hope it does well Adam.

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here she is. Sorry for the bad pic. It's so dark of a morning now.
    Nice fat bud :)

This post was edited by adamharbeck on Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 20:37

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The potted plant

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

That bloom is going to open very soon! It's such a beautiful thing.

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Perfect. I think she's my new favorite!

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The perfume is just as lovely.

• plan9fromposhmadison
    9 years ago

Wonderful photos, Adam! First time I've looked at a rose and exclaimed, "Roses of Heliogabalus!" The colors, and the sheer luxuriance/indolence/hedonism/louche excess of the rose are precisely what Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema painted. (If you look it up in Wikipedia, go for the highest resolution - so luscious...)

But please, Adam, promise me that you won't get your dinner guests tipsy and then smother them beneath torrents of rose petals.

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not going to make any promises I can't keep :)
    But I can promise I'll be getting another Tipsy.

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

plan9fromposhmadison, just in case you're planning something similar :)
    http://www.magictours-bg.com/bulgaria/the-bulgarian-roses

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

Love that bloom! Mine is just getting ready.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    9 years ago

DANGIT! I cannot purchase any more roses but this one is sooooo tempting. Beales brought it out. Lots of glossies of it in his recent books.
    So pretty.
    Keep us posted on the health?
    Susan

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

OMG, Adam! She's beautiful!! Thank you for the pic of her bloom. Your climate is perfect for that delicate pink wonderfulness. She'd just turn to brown mush here until midsummer.

Mendocino, I'd love to see your plant in bloom. It must be heavenly!

Carol

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Descanso Gardens
    {{gwi:244917}}

• Tuggy3
    9 years ago

Update on TIC. It's been in the ground for two years now and blooms on a fairly regular basis. It's a small somewhat sprawly grower so far but it tries hard and the blooms are huge. Since we are in a hot dry climate the blooms open but come fall they start to ball. It's kind of a fun specimen and I don't expect it to live up to the standards of my more modern HT's.

• tuderte
    9 years ago

Adam, I was wondering if you could let us know how your Tipsy Imperial Concubine is flowering through the Summer? I was looking forward to your photo on the other thread but all I got was a question mark and a message that 'Safari couldn't find the server' - perhaps others have better luck ...

Tricia

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Tricia. I don't know what happened with that post.

She has flowered quite well and I got some good blooms at Christmas. No balling and good, full size blooms. She is working on a third flush at the minute.

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There she is at the far left in front of the lime.

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There she is at the far left in front of the lime.

{{gwi:2120764}}

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here she is going into her third flush.

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Closeup

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My other plant (on multiflora)

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

It's logical that something tipsy would lean to the side.

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

lol....that's a good one...

Adam, after seeing your photos over the last few months, it has made me go out and get one of these, I so love the blooms you are showing us.... mine though is now in a container too but growing under glass here as it simply wouldn't be any good outside.... it's shooting out already and hope for good things this summer...

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Best of luck with her Marlorena. She's definitely worth the effort.

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Always perfect

• User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

..I'm afraid I cannot match yours...as yet... so here are mine Adam, so far.... as per the first post on this thread, the juvenile foliage is outstanding...all reddish purple and green...with hints of brown...

this last one shows a poor pruning cut on my part, I shall correct that tomorrow.... but I do like this foliage colour...

• fragrancenutter
    8 years ago

Thanks for the photos. They are very informative. I just got myself one of these today. Adam, I am in WA as well. Can you tell me where you got your plants from? Cheers

• fragrancenutter
    8 years ago

Can anyone tell me the vase life of this rose please? thanks!

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I got one from Swiss Rose Farm and one online from Misty Downs.

They last 4 days I'd say.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    8 years ago

I never paid much attention to this rose until recently when I began seeing gorgeous pictures here. Since it doesn't seem to get huge it should find a place in most peope's gardens.

mendocino_rose, so glad to see you here again.

• soncna 9a Slovenia
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have Tipsy for three years now. It is a smalll bush and not a vigorous one. But I have her in full sun and maybe that is the reason for lack of flowers. Next to her I have Mademoiselle Franziska Kruger, which has very good rebloom (but no smell). In the first summer I waited and waited for Tipsy to bloom, and then it rained and the blooms didnt open. Last year she was doing nothing again and I started thinking of removing her. But then there was long and warm autumn and the miracle happened. She started to bloom, big blooms with great fragrance. I cannot wait this year.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

It has been about 3 weeks since I convinced myself that I do not "need" this rose, and then I saw the image posted above, Adam.... you are a bit of an enabler ... Thank you very much as I planted my new Radio Times last week, and now I guess TIC is going to enter my garden in the near future :)

Btw... I think most of us have our bloom preference, but I like leaves too. TIC appears to have a good balance of blooms and nice looking leaves.

Lynn

• lisa hallinan
    8 years ago

I received mine from Heirloom yesterday, looking forward to seeing it bloom in my garden!

• fragrancenutter
    8 years ago

TIC is a very vigorous bush in my garden. She is on fortuniana root stock and flowers nonstop.