Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

This is climbing rose Columbian Climber. She arrived from Peter Beales late winter 2009.

I potted her up, and finally planted her September 2010.

She started flowering in May 2009 and has NEVER, been out of flower since. That is twenty four months of continuous flowering.

She has a gorgeous perfume, which is always there, no matter how cold it is, or how tight the bud is.

In fact, she is just a complete show off!

{{gwi:244928}}

Daisy

Comments (16)

• rosemeadow_gardener
    12 years ago

What a great rose and garden !

• vinesandroses
    12 years ago

what a gorgeous rose! it reminds me of a tea - I'll have to look this one up - never heard of it before.

• imagardener2
    12 years ago

what a beautiful rose and the setting is quite lovely too, a glimpse of the sea? wonderful.

Denise

• mendocino_rose
    12 years ago

That's just amazing. It sounds like a perfect Southern California rose. Your garden looks wonderful too.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

It seems to me you've found THE perfect climbing rose. It's simply gorgeous. This climber would be awesome in southern California and it's incredible that it hasn't found its way to the States. The glimpses of your garden and background are so beautiful. More pictures please!

Ingrid

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

Beautiful picture of a beautiful rose. It needed to be shown here!

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Ingrid, Cl. Columbia is a great garden rose in SoCal, though it can get a touch of black spot when conditions are right. It's wonderfully fragrant and very lightly prickled. And, it does flower incessantly here. Kim

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Ingrid, I HAD it in my old Newhall garden years ago. I shared it with Sequoia and Ashdown, and Vintage has it on custom propagation. I don't know if Burling still has it as she's had to reduce what she actively grows to keep current with what sells, but you might email her to find out. It really IS a very good climbing sport of a Hybrid Tea. So many of them were once blooming and terribly stiff and prickly. This one is a bit stiff, but the smooth canes and regular, frequent flowering makes up for much of that. I propagated it from a very old plant at The Huntington which was on one of the iron arches on the main path through the Rose Garden. I didn't notice it there the last time I was in that garden. It's worth obtaining for cutting and garden enjoyment. Columbia was a seedling of Ophelia and sports almost as frequently as she did. Kim

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

Kim, I read on Helpmefind that you had it but did not see a nursery that offered it. I'll have to do a little search among my favorite nurseries. I have no place to put it but it's so tempting!

Ingrid

• organic_tosca
    12 years ago

Oh, Daisy, that is so lovely! I have wondered about how your garden was doing, and now I know. Gorgeous, gorgeous.

Laura

• jo_pyeweed (z9 SF Bay Area)
    12 years ago

Daisy - absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much for posting.

Cheers,
    Jo

• jerome
    12 years ago

Gorgeous picture of a wonderful looking rose. Your garden looks like heaven.

• melissa_thefarm
    12 years ago

Kim, thanks for that information. Another rose family to keep in mind. I can see that Hybrid Teas are in my future.
    Daisy, looks like a great rose.
    Melissa

• roseseek
    12 years ago

You're welcome, Melissa. Many of the older HTs in a more arid climate are simply breath taking. When I grew them in the Santa Clarita Valley here in Southern California, most did wonderfully. There were a few fungal issues, nothing compared to what this more coastal mountain type I now live and garden in can cause. As long as the climate is arid Mediterranean, even the Pernetiana types can be glorious.

See if you can find things like Ellen Willmott, the 1930s single HT, daughter of Dainty Bess. She is beautiful. White Wings, a 1947 white single HT can resemble a flock of tropical butterflies. Irish Elegance, Irish Fireflame, Isobel, Collette Clement, Mrs. Oakley Fisher, Cecil, Frances Ashton, even Dainty Bess, though she can be afflicted a bit more with mildew, can almost resemble hibiscus. The old single HTs were pretty much superceded by floribundas, but a bouquet of their elegant buds in an antique vase can be spectacular.

Modern Times, the striped sport of Better Times, itself a sport of a Columbia sport, is one of the most dramatically striped and has nearly exhibition form. It was named for the famous Charlie Chaplin film. The flowers don't have a very long life, but any of the Ophelia clan can make favorite garden subjects, too. They have elegance, fragrance, and many were actually grown as cut flowers.

Other threads here are currently discussing older HTs others have found useful, even really good, in other climates. Some of them might surprise you. In the hundred-plus years the Hybrid Tea has reigned supreme, there have been many truly excellent subject released among the bazillians of really bad ones. Fortunately, we still have some of the best of the best. Go for it, you'll love them! Kim

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

It's a Show Stopper, Daisy!

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous!! Yes, more pictures of your garden, please!