Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sow_what

Best Time To Move A Newly Planted Rose

After some great advice on this forum, I got a bare root Souvenir de la Malmaison climber. I soaked it overnight, and then planted it in composty soil just a couple of weeks ago. It's leafing out nicely, but I now realize this is not where I want this rose. Should I move it right away, or should I wait to replant it? Our weather, which has been swinging wildly from the high fifties to the mid nineties seems to have stabilized, and is predicted to be in the seventies and low eighties for the next ten days, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any help.

jannike

Comments (8)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I would move it (carefully) right away.

Kate

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    10 years ago

I thought you were never supposed to move a planted rose unless it was dormant -- ?
    I have roses which I mis-planted, so to speak, but since they are blooming I don't think it's considered wise to move them now. Is this correct?
    Thanks,
    Sylvia

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Move it right away. It has not seated if you just planted it. Whoever heard of not removing a rose only in dormancy? The larger roses do better, the ones that have been in the ground for years, but if this was just planted, the best time is now. If you are unsure, put it in a pot with potting soil and let ti stay for a while and then move to the ground before it gets hot, hot, hot. I would have no issue moving it immediately, however.

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Sylvia - it is always best to move an established rose when it is dormant (or as dormant as it is going to get). Here in warm No Cal we move and/or plant things in the late Fall/early Winter.

However, Jannike's rose is NOT established - it has only been in the ground for 2 weeks, and is probably still trying to recover enough from being planted to just be starting to think about growing more roots. So, I agree with Kate - I would move it immediately and gently, and then leave it alone (no food, no spraying, only adequate water) for at least 2 months.

Jackie

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sylvia, I prefer to move roses when they're dormant, but have moved roses that were not dormant many times. I've never lost a rose this way, but it sometimes seems to set the rose back, which I'm hoping will not happen with this cherished SdlM Cl. I've never moved a newly planted rose before, and want to find out the best way before doing it.

Kate, Patricia, and Jackie, thanks so much for your advice. I don't spray at all, and I know not to give a newly planted bare root rose food, but are you saying I should be careful not to give too much water as well? Our weather was in the 90s when I received my bare root roses this year. Because of the freaky weather, I planted them in a "mud bath", left a hose drizzling on each for 24 hours, and then kept them more or less damp for a few weeks. The SdlM Cl is leafing and looks pretty good after this treatment, and the other bare roots (all David Austins) look fantastic (leafed out, nice and bushy with buds and even blooms). They've done so well that it sort of scares me -- are they going to all fizzle out after this initial grand show?

Anyway, I'll move the SdlM Cl asap, and more details on watering and anything else that should/shouldn't be done will be greatly appreciated. I feel lucky to have found SdlM climber after all the great advice I got here, and can't wait to see her thrive.

jannike

• patricianat
    10 years ago

You really should not leave them in a puddle of water for too long. They can rot from too much water. It is difficult to know just how much mud and how much water your are talking about. I do like to keep mine in a muddy patch but this has come from years of trial-error and knowing what works for my area with cool nights and warm days. If you are concerned about moving a rose...let me tell you this. You can ALWAYS take a rose from the ground to a pot or from a pot to the ground without fear as long as you water, but not overwater. You can then plant the rose, pot and all. The roots will go through the pot (and I am talking about a nursery pot).

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

when I said "adequate water" I meant adequate for a newly planted rose which has not had time to grow roots yet, in your warm weather, which means watering it almost daily for a while, as long as it has good drainage.

Jackie

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Jackie and Patricia. Patricia, I'm curious about your statements regarding planting a rose, nursery pot and all. I'd like to plant SdlM climber not far from the base of a Jacaranda tree, and am wondering if putting it in a nursery pot with the bottom completely cut away will help protect the rose from tree roots? I've never grown a rose to climb a tree before, so I'll definitely be asking for advice.

In the meantime, the new planting area for SdlM Cl has been prepared, and I'll get her moved as soon as I make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert