Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Earth-Kind Roses Texas A@M

Posted by sammy OK/7A (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 6:31

I am curious as to how well the Earth-Kind program has evolved, and where it is going.

My Google search lead me to "Earth-Kind Rose Research Program." I could not find a URL, but I found some information. There are no dates that I could see, but Dr. Stephen George is the horticulturalist, and the first research is out of Texas A@M located in Dallas.

It looks like there is a phase 2 in Houston, but I would like to know if there are members here involved in the research. There was a time that we used to have many discussions about this subject, but I have not seen that much information recently.

When I looked at the list of roses, I felt like many were omitted. I also thought that there was an attempt to break down the list to regions, and minimal watering. Some areas cannot begin to consider being a part of the program if they never water.

I will stop, but would love current information if you have it.

Sammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Earth-Kind Roses Texas A@M

I observed in a post in the recent past that it seemed that the Earth Kind program had not made an announcement in a very long time and questioned whether the program was dead. Nothing comforting was forthcoming in that thread.

In the thread linked below, I wrote the following about the discontinued postings of the results of performance ratings of roses by the Peggy Rockefeller Rose Garden of the New York Botanical Garden:

"...an innocent might conclude that one would be wrong to say anything bad about a rose or roses, or conversely to advocate the virtues of any rose over any others, it may be that the Garden feels that it would not be politic of them to publish the results of their findings - I don't know."

I have also observed on these forums that one of the most popular series of roses ever introduced - and ENTIRELY American I might add, is mostly rosa non grata here.

These attitudes are out of sync with modern knowledge and sensibility.

I hope better information is forthcoming in this thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: How much store do you put in photos of roses?

o
RE: Earth-Kind Roses Texas A@M

Now that I think about it, I became discouraged that the Earth Kind roses had to qualify such rigid standards. The no fertilizer and no additional water made me lose interest years ago.

I certainly have many many roses that I adore, and grow with no spray. But I have turned away from the newer varieties that need spray. Some roses like Distant Drums, and some other Bucks were very pretty, but I can look at them in other gardens.

I would like to know if any of you know anything about the Earth Kind program. The Dallas site indicates that tests are going to be continued in a 2nd part in Houston. However, the Houston Rose Society site online is closed to outsiders.

Sammy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here