Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

Heuchera, Guara, tall Salvia

sammy zone 7 Tulsa
13 years ago

I have bought these recently along with Lambs Ears. I would like to see some pictures of how you use these in beds. I have many beds all over my yard, but now that I own these "companion plants", I am not sure where to put them.

It is easy to see that short salvia looks good right next to Souvenir de la Malmaison, but I cannot picture the ones that I have listed in the beds. The descriptions follow:

Heuchera (Plum Pudding or Coral Bells) height 26", spread 16".

Gaura lindheimeri (Siskiyou Pink) 30" - 36", 24" apart. Would you put a few together, or do they have an effect alone?

I would love to see pictures of these. Also, I would love to know how you keep track of perennials, and avoid pulling them as weeds in the spring. Do you use markers, or have something special that is a marker to you? (tag, etc.)

Sammy

Comments (8)

• catsrose
    13 years ago

Heuchera is "evergreen," ie, it doesn't completely die back in winter. It also takes a fair bit of shade. Gaura is large, fountains out. It's common name is Whirling Butterflies and it does look like that, an airy, delicate look. It is good for hiding the naked legs of HTs, but give it full sun and plenty of room. It dies back to a tangle of thin branches, which should be chopped off to a few inches. Lambs Ears want full sun and dies back to a somewhat slimey mess. It also spreads.

• teeandcee
    13 years ago

I have several heucheras but they're in full shade. Actually I also have salvias and guaras (I plant in threes), but everything is still small this early.

I'd be interested to know how people keep track of perennials too. I've got the tags stuck in the ground for now but don't like that look.

Sandy, below is a link to a great pic-filled website I recently ran across that's chock full of perennial garden inspiration.

Here is a link that might be useful: art of gardening

• melissa_thefarm
    13 years ago

I bought a nameless plant that grew well in semi-shade for years; eventually a friend I gave a piece to told me it was a heuchera. Mine is evergreen. It has done well in open woodland conditions: light shade, lots of organic matter on the surface but clay underneath, with good drainage from the slope; wet winters, dry summers with little to no watering: similar, here, to what hellebores like.
    If a plant disappears completely during the winter, or is so small it vanishes among the grass (my garden beds are waving meadows of annual grass at the moment) I put a bamboo stake to mark its location, with a label if I want to remember the name. I also make maps of the garden, noting down the locations and names of plants I want to keep track of. Maps are essential if you have many plants and want to remember their names, which not everybody does. Labels are just too liable to disappear or become illegible. As far as recognizing cultivated plants as such when weeding, in my experience, having pulled thousands if not millions of weeds in my garden, I know very well what my weeds look like, and almost always recognize plants that aren't weeds as soon as I see them. You will too.
    Melissa

• teeandcee
    13 years ago

I thought of mapping my garden, but that sounds like so much work. I like the idea of knowing all the names but think I just may be too lazy to do the work required to keep track. At least with my roses I just hang marked aluminum tags. That's easy peasy.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

It might be helpful to take snapshots and just label the snapshots.

• sayhellonow
    13 years ago

Tall Salvia and Lambs Ear are both wonderful companions to roses and most all perennials.

The Salvia is blue, purple, or white, and produces a spikey flower, giving good contrast in form and color (usually) to your roses.

The silvery gray-green Lambs Ear is a great contrast in both texture and color. In my gardens I always remove the flowers because they are insignificant and a distraction -- at least, in my opinion.

Heuchera is actually dormant here in winter.

• teeandcee
    13 years ago

I've solved my problem and just started a personal gardening blog to keep track of year-to-year growth, planting times, diseases, locations, etc., with pics and comments.

• ronda_in_carolina
    13 years ago

Salvia next to Old Gay Hill
    {{gwi:245256}}

{{gwi:245257}}

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor