Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A sensuous pleasure.

Posted by daisyincrete 10? (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 7:03

On Monday and into Tuesday mid-morning, we had a light but steady rain here in Crete. After it had finished and the sun had come out, I went into the garden.
I was stopped in my tracks with the first step outside. I was completely enveloped with the scents of the garden. It seemed that every single leaf and blossom was producing a perfume. No wind and the humidity after the rain meant that all the perfumes, weren't just wafting, they were pulsating strongly at me.
Walking past the rose Colombian Climber with it's sweet, dry, powdery perfume, I didn't have to stop and smell a bloom. It came to me, overwhelmingly.
Up to Rose Archduke Charles, which normally, has no scent at all to my nose, I could smell it's flowery scent easily.
Even the soil had a rich earthy scent and as for the path between Madam Alfred Carriere and Sombreuil, their perfumes came with such a force, I had to stop and sit down on a step.
The orange tree, which this year has more blossom than I have ever seen before, pervaded the whole garden.
It's just as well that my sweet peas are not yet in flower, or I could of died of sensory overload.
Daisy ( With a big grin on her face.)

Archduke Charles
april 2014 046

Madam Alfred Carriere.
april 2014 041

Sombreuil.
april 2014 009

The orange blossom with Marechal Niel.
march early april 2014 041

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A sensuous pleasure.

How wonderful Daisy!

o

Beautiful!

o

Awesome!!! I think i just had an out of body experience and was transported to your beautiful garden in a heavenly sort of daydream Daisy. Thank you for sharing. Now back to the worldly everyday of lubricated routines for me.

o

Thank-you all.
Prickles, lubricated routines???!!!
Is that with a beer or glass of wine in hand?
Daisy

o

Thanks so much for the post. I had the opportunity to smell roses regardless of the temperature plunge here and the dusting of snow :-)

o

Is anyone else wondering what a lubricated routine is?

:)

o

Don't expect me to explain in public!

(hee, hee)

Kate

o

Thank you for sharing! I can just imagine your lovely garden and the wonderful fragrances...like reading a good book. Wish I could visit :)

o

Daisy, your garden truly renders me speechless! It's something I only see in books and films. Your Marechal Niel and orange blossoms--pinch me! The roses...and the bench, the stonework, the trellises,.... Wow! How many exclamation points may I use in one reply? Carol

This post was edited by PortlandMysteryRose on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 20:17

o

Daisy, I am jealous. Rain? What's that? As for humidity, that's something I only experience in the steam room at the gym. Wish I could bring my roses in there ..
I remember how the world smelled after spring rains in the other climates I've known (East Coast, Midwest) -- but the best olfactory experience ever was up in the high desert/southern Sierra once after a thunderstorm. Wet sage -- ahh!
BTW, I now want Archduke Charles. What a magnificent flower!
Sylvia

o

No. No. Lol... by lubricated routines I mean the automatic, the quotidian routine of working in front of a computer all day long etc. But you have the right idea Daisy. I dont believe I have ever turned down a glass of wine or a beer at lunch when offered. Well at anytime as a matter of fact!

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 19:14

How beautiful!

o

Daisy, that had to be an almost other-worldly experience. How I envy you. It rains here in the winter (well, sometimes) at which time not that many roses are in bloom, so I doubt I'll ever experience anything that wonderful, but even your description was almost enough to make me feel I was there.

We do have an orange orchard next door and sometimes, especially in the evening, the fragrance is overwhelming. Still, to be able to small different roses in that way would be even more pleasurable. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Ingrid

o

Glorious Daisy. Suck in all the flower fragrance you can to help you get through Easter Sunday's charcoaled meat fragrance that's going to cover the whole of Greece, including Crete I suppose, significantly contributing to the global greenhouse effct, no doubt. Have the Cretans succumbed to the lamb-on-the-spit mainland tradition or do they still charcoal grill their goatlings in their traditional way for Easter? It's been ages since I last spent Easter on Crete, I'm afraid.
Nik

This post was edited by nikthegreek on Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 1:06

o

Ms. Daisy,
Thank You so much for sharing.

This post was edited by greenster on Sun, May 18, 14 at 5:23

o

• Posted by fogrose zone 10/sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Tue, May 6, 14 at 7:34

What glorious photos. You have a personal paradise. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Diane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here