Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wintercat_gw

Leaf harmony?

wintercat_gw
12 years ago

A couple of months ago I planted a budded bare-root Comte de Chambord with 2 budded bare-root Pat Austins to his right and left.

As they leafed out the contrast between the Comte's matte and Pat's shiny (laquered really) leaves bothered me so much (on top of the very different kind of green) that I ended up repotting Pat & flanking the Comte with 2 English Sachet instead.

It never occurred to me I would partner roses on the basis of their leaf colour, size, shape, angle - so different in the Comte and in Pat.

Anything of the sort ever happened to anyone? Or is the colour of the flower the one and only consideration in partnering roses for colour effect in the garden?

Comments (6)

• melissa_thefarm
    12 years ago

You make a good point. Roses are a lot more than their flowers, and for garden effect you need to consider habit, foliage, and so forth. I've never had to move a rose because of the problem you describe, but it doesn't surprise me a bit that you did.

• altorama Ray
    12 years ago

I pay quite a bit of attention to foliage, especially since I have mostly once bloomers. I did once move a rose because the color of the foliage looked sickly compared to that of the rose next to it.
    I also moved a honeysuckle away from Veilchenblau for obvious reasons.

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

If you have a garden restricted to roses I think this would be more apparent. Planting lots of ornamentals of other species provides greater foliage contrast and this would ease the clash of rose leaves you noticed.

However I have removed roses because they looked too modern and struck a false note in my garden. I thought it was the flower color (neon pink), but perhaps shiny leaves contributed to the overly modern look.

In my personal aesthetic, 'modern' is not a compliment. It is only a good thing in reference to medicine and plumbing.

Rosefolly

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Not JUST the foliage, but I really do consider the foliage and the habit of a plant just as strongly as I do its blooms. And like Folly, we've removed roses just because they seemed glaringly out-of-place.

The most striking example here was 'City Of San Francisco,' which not only had almost plastic-looking glossy foliage, but bloomed heavily and continuously in generous sprays of the most incredible, blinding, screaming-meemie red I have ever seen in a growing thing.

It made me long for ready-access to Valium, had a similar effect on DH, and was removed after one vigorous year of headache-making visual noise.

Jeri

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

While I do appreciate beautiful foliage I've never found that one against another was displeasing to me. I like all the colors and textures mixed together. For me it makes the garden more interesting and keeps the eye traveling around the yard to see all the differences. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    12 years ago

I have one climber whose blooms look so lovely with my nepeta's grey leaves, but whose foliage looks strange with the grey! I don't think most folks would notice, at least from a distance where they see it, but it does bug me :D

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!