Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Duc de Cambridge

Posted by JessicaBe 5b Central Ohio (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 12 at 7:40

I was wondering if anyone has this rose. I am going to send cuttings to a friend in Florida and he said that he heard that it doesn't like to much heat? Is it true? Could he grow it in part shade like afternoon shade or something?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Duc de Cambridge

According to the "Encyclopedia of Roses", Duc de Cambridge is hardy to zone 5, prone to blackspot and a BIG weakness in proliferation - the blooms are spoiled by a huge, green, disfiguring growth at the ceter, due to the rush in spring growth. There is no mention of it disliking heat.

o

Jessica,
This is a hybrid Gallica/Damask and as such, it requires a cold winter dormancy in order to flower. Unless your friend plans to overwinter his plant in the refrigerator, its not going to be a good plant for Florida. I expect that is what he meant by not liking "too much heat".

o

I didn't want to be the first to say it, but the proliferation on DdC is truly godawful. In my climate it has every other virtue, but all is spoiled by the one horrible fault. Not a rose I would recommend to anyone, and I don't say that about that many roses.

o

Thank you so much for you replies I have forwarded them to my friend.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here