Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twinkletoad

Tell me about Ulrich Brunner- pretty please?

twinkletoad
10 years ago

I bought Ulrich Brunner on a whim in my crazy obsessive rose buying mode. I know nothing about this rose other than it is beautiful in photos. Helpmefind has some info in their References tab, but I'd like to hear from you. Can anyone tell me a little more?

This post was edited by twinkletoad on Thu, May 2, 13 at 10:52

Comments (6)

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    10 years ago

Here he's almost always got clean leaves, with the bonus of being thornless. (I can't comment with respect to BS, as it is not a big problem here.) Has several full flushes per season -- good bloomer.

Pruned as a shrub/HT, 6' x 6' is probably a good estimate, though mine strays a bit taller by the end of the season -- to about 7'. I tried pegging my plant once -- never again! (Looks great when blooming, but the after-bloom plant is a mess.)

My plant is own-root from my mother's 50-year-old + own-root plant, which is quite virused (the plant it was obtained from I assume was most likely grafted: in a rental house garden in the 1950s). Virus doesn't seem to affect its vigor -- it's a willing grower and bloomer, still.

I like this rose a lot: it's loud (pink doesn't get any pinker than this) and proud.

Debbie

• twinkletoad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

peachymomo, that's good news about his healthy foliage. Up until this year, I had just one beautiful old rose that my grandfather dug up for me from my old house so I could bring it with me when I moved. It's a beautiful old fashioned red with magenta undertones and extremely fragrant (wish I knew what kind!). I believe it got black spot last year and it looked horrible but it still bloomed. I don't know anything about spraying roses, but I'm trying to learn. I'm trying to keep it healthy with other methods and maybe I won't have to spray...

Debbie, I love hearing that you have a baby of your mother's plant; that makes it extra special. I obviously didn't spend a lot of research on this rose, because I didn't realize it got that big. It works out for where I want to put him though, which is right next to the mystery rose I mentioned above. Thornless is a plus and glad to hear he's a good bloomer!

I'm interested in what you said about him being virused and if I understood correctly, how that may relate to him being grafted. I just bought a beautiful Pope John Paul II from a local nursery and it is grafted. They couldn't tell me with what though. The man said to plant him with the graft above ground but I was talking to Pam at Angel Rose gardens and she said most rosarians are recommending to plant the graft about 3" under, which I thought was only necessary in colder climates with harsh winters. That is probably a question for another forum though :)

Thanks for your input!

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    10 years ago

twinkletoad, there was a time in the U.S. rose industry (post 1920) when a lot of the plants sold were grafted onto rootstocks that were infected with virus. Virus would then infect the grafted plant. For many "modern" rose varieties (the ones produced during that era), in fact, only virused clones are available because of this.

Old varieties like Ulrich Brunner, from before that era, might be found without virus; that my clone has virus indicates there was almost certainly a grafted plant somewhere in its background.

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question about how to plant grafted roses. I only have one in my entire collection (Just Joey) and I can't even remember where I placed the graft union or why!

Debbie

This post was edited by catspa on Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 9:07

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

Mine's a young band but I ordered it specifically because "Antique Roses for the South" said it was the best repeat-blooming HP for most of the area.

• twinkletoad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These comments have been very encouraging- thanks. I'm really looking forward to seeing how he does in my garden this summer.

Catspa- Just Joey is on my wish list :) I read about him in Ann Lovejoy's book, Fragrance in Bloom: The Scented Garden Throughout the Year.