Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindyabs

Just a word of thanks

cindyabs
12 years ago

for the info here! I've gotten leads on vendors that aren't on the other side of the country from me and much helpfulk information. Sometimes I feel like the lone voice in the wilderness since our local is all about HTs and exhibition perfection and me not so much.

I could kick myself that all the times I was in England I didn't visit any (except for Hever Castle) gardens. Ah well, maybe someday.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for sharing.

Comments (10)

• altorama Ray
    12 years ago

I must have 75 books devoted to roses, but I always get the best advice here.

• melissa_thefarm
    12 years ago

I feel the same gratitude for friendly and expert advice from all over the U.S., and various other parts of the world.
    We are not alone.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I agree that this is a wonderful place. Everyone is generous and helpful and I've learned tons of amazing things here too. But I'd like to ask you not to give up on your local society either. They need you! Yes, a lot of them are geared toward the exhibition of roses but I don't know of any shows that don't have classes for shrub and antique roses. That's where you could shine and impart your love for them. And the society as well as the public need to see those roses in order to learn to love them. I never grew an OGR until I saw how beautiful they were at a local show. Then I had to have some! Since then I've learned a great deal about them and now people come to me to ask what ones they should try. So keep going and do show your OGRs because they are beautiful! People just need to be exposed to them to see that!

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Yep, this is a great place to be and I feel so lucky, have learned so much in the last few years, and agree, the best information comes from here from people's experiences in the different areas.

Glad you're here!

• mendocino_rose
    12 years ago

I agree. I'm thankful too. I love hearing what all our friends have to say and share and I mean the practicalities and beyond the practicalities. We all need to stick togather don't we? Thanks all.

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

What I like about this forum: we can learn from each other mistakes, I made plenty! Like the $80 Japanese Maple tree I killed with mushroom compost, or the Hybrid teas that turned black with canker when I winter-protected with wet maple leaves.

My soil is heavy alkaline clay so I learn from California and Texas folks as to what roses grow best in such soil. I also appreciate many rose mentors such as Kim Rupert, Michaelg, Karl Bapst, Seil, Krista, Anita, Jeri_Jen, Tessie, Rosefolly, Mike_Rivers, Zack_lau, and many others.

I also appreciate the international experiences of Melissa in Italy, Suzy & Robert in UK, and Marianne in Sweden. Suzy always make me laugh, that's why I enjoy coming here.

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

I also want to thank my favorite people from CA who post great pics. of their gardens and inspired me: Hoovb, Ingrid, Jacqueline. Ingrid is so sweet and kind - I love her.

I want to thank these folks who coached me on making potpourri (that's harder than growing roses!): Cath from Ohio, Lux, Jaxondel. I appreciate Predfern and Al from my Chicagoland area who showed me which roses would survive zone 5a winter. Karl Bapst is also from zone 5a, and thanks to these guys - I save money by knowing which ones are hardy.

• harborrose_pnw
    12 years ago

I am really grateful to all the people that share the knowledge they have accumulated over many years of growing roses. I'm grateful for the common sense I often find in the folks here. I'm grateful for the education on roses that I've gotten over the last 6 or 7 years. I'm grateful for the humor, the kindness and occasional flashes of brilliance I've been exposed to.

Really, it's a pleasure to be here.

• organic_tosca
    12 years ago

For the international ones, let's not forget DaisyInCrete, though i haven't seen her posting lately. I still remember her wonderful photos!

Laura

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

I agree, Laura, I love Daisy's posted pictures, they are like a ray of sunshine to my gloomy Chicagoland. I also love Caldonbeck's pictures from the UK - I won't get pictures like his/her unless my roses are IV'ed with fish emulsion and alfalfa tea.